Flight within Washington DC Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA)

Next week I may fly to attend a meeting within the Washington D.C. SFRA, in Cambridge, Md.   The current VFR navigation chart says in an inset box: "Washington DC Metropolitan Special Flight Rules Area/Flight Restricted Zone (CD SFRA & DC FRZ) (see description in Atlantic Ocean)".  

The end of the description in the Atlantic Ocean says: "Special Awareness Training for the Washington DC Metropolitan Area 14 CFR Part 91, Section  91.161 requires any pilot who flies under VFR withing a 60 nautical mile radius of DCA VOR-DME to complete the 'Washington DC Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA)' training.   This training has been developed and provided by the FAA on its www.FAASafety.gov website.   See NOTAMs."

I went to www.FAASafety.gov, and searched for this training by clicking on "Search FAASafety Website" button.  No combination of search terms yielded success. 

The "See NOTAMs" at the end of the note is ridiculously vague.

My destination lies in the 30 - 60 n.mi. ring from the DCA VOR.  The requirement in that ring seems to be airspeed below 230 knots below 18,000 ft is the limitation.  That shouldn't be hard at all in our mighty M20C. 

Does this training requirement still exist?   Anybody point me to this online training? 

Thx.

'03L

8 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Next week I may fly to attend a meeting within the Washington D.C. SFRA, in Cambridge, Md.   The current VFR navigation chart says in an inset box: "Washington DC Metropolitan Special Flight Rules Area/Flight Restricted Zone (CD SFRA & DC FRZ) (see description in Atlantic Ocean)".  

The end of the description in the Atlantic Ocean says: "Special Awareness Training for the Washington DC Metropolitan Area 14 CFR Part 91, Section  91.161 requires any pilot who flies under VFR withing a 60 nautical mile radius of DCA VOR-DME to complete the 'Washington DC Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA)' training.   This training has been developed and provided by the FAA on its www.FAASafety.gov website.   See NOTAMs."

I went to www.FAASafety.gov, and searched for this training by clicking on "Search FAASafety Website" button.  No combination of search terms yielded success. 

My destination lies in the 30 - 60 n.mi. ring from the DCA VOR.  The requirement in that ring seems to be airspeed below 230 knots below 18,000 ft is the limitation.  That shouldn't be hard at all in our mighty M20C. 

Does this training requirement still exist?   Anybody point me to this online training? 

Thx.

'03L

Yes.  https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/courseLanding.aspx?cID=405
I also thought I had previously accessed it through AOPA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take the training linked above, print out the certificate and keep it with you while you are in the area.  There are unique requirements and procedures in the SFRA which the training does a good job of covering.  Its highly congested airspace but the good people at Potomac are friendly and helpful at working people through. Lastly, keep Com2 on Guard if you are not talking to Potomac so you can be aware of whats going on in the area.  

• Like 1

I recommend filing IFR for all flights within this region.  Among other things, this assures you are always talking to someone.  I have had trouble when following all procedures, flying with ATC, then they forced me to squawk VFR and then try to get ATC that controls the SFRA.  They do not always answer in a timely fashion.  So go IFR.

• Like 1

+1 on filing IFR for entry into or departure from the SFRA as @Bolter mentioned.  It makes it much easier than an SFRA Flight Plan.  Also, NEVER squawk 1200 at any time in SFRA airspace.  Doing so will earn you some quality time with the Friendly Aviation Administration (and possibly other agencies).

Potomac Approach 866-429-5882.  Went in and out do KFME a lot a couple years ago and always filed and rang them at the threshold and was generally released immediately.  Getting in IFR was zero effort.  Overall I found it to be better then most, controllers are really good and because everyone is controlled it is nice. 

Personally not an area where I would go VFR nor without some really solid skills in general.  Like flying into KOSH it is sort of like the Super Bowl of flying.  In the case of the SFRA if you screw up you get to see jets and get a certificate suspension for the least bit of confusion. 

A local like @jetdriven will pop in but suspect that is the number for all the airports. 

Thx.
'03L

Are you headed to KCGE? If so, you’ll need to complete the training because you are within the 60 DME ring. But unless you need to enter the area which requires a DC SFRA flight plan (like if you are coming from the northwest to get to Cambridge and you plan on cutting through the outer ring of the SFRA), you won’t need to file it.

If you are going VFR and staying out of the gated area of the SFRA, pick up VFR flight following to help navigate the area. There is a lot of traffic and restricted airspace.

AND, as was suggested above, tune your second radio to 121.5. There is almost always someone flying where they shouldn’t be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I’ve had no trouble operating VFR in and around the SFRA and have been doing so since it came into being 20+ years ago. I have operated VFR in the FRZ (requires a in person training, finger printing and security vetting). You should definitely use ATC, but it’s not crucial that you operate IFR. I’m assuming that you’re coming from the southwest. Putuxant Approach has always been helpful and professional. My home airport is about 10nm west of Camp David. Security politics are a way of life in these parts. It’s not a great hardship so much as a mild annoyance.

• Like 1

Took the training.  I will arrive from the SW to CGE, so I'll never enter the SFRA.   I'll probably file IFR just to keep it all straightforward with regards to all those restricted areas and MOA's in the area.  Thanks to all of you who pointed me to the training.   Odd that it is hard to find on the FAA safety www site, but I guess non-surprising given that the contract that created that training is long over.

• Like 2