EDM 730/830 Reviews?

Hi All,

My new-to-me M20J is still awaiting parts for some of the pre-buy squawks at Top Gun .  I'm considering getting an engine monitor, but with the purchase and the 1st year repairs an EDM 900 is not in the cards.  A CGR-30P might be possible, but the 30P/C combo is not at this time.

The EDM 730/830 seems to provide good functionality for a reasonable price...but I have read some complaints on the display.  Does anyone have any opinions to share on this model and it's ease of use or reliability?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

R.Katz

I just replaced my EDM-700 (and Shadin Mimi-flo) with the 830. Only have 1.2 hour flight home but the display is much easier to read than the 700. The 700 had developed a sticky Step button and didn’t have MP or RPM sensors. I spent an hour yesterday in the hangar changing warning limits and customizing the horizontal bar displays. Next task is to get the K- factor dialed in. 

• Thanks 1

If there's already an EDM 700, the 830 is a cheap and trivial upgrade since it can use the exact same sensors and harness.  As a note, the 730 and 830 are the same device, if you connect the MP/RPM sensors, there's a software option to make it an 830.

The display is fine for me.  It's large enough to be readable on the passenger side of the panel

If there's not a 700 installed, many people say you may as well bite the bullet and get the primary 900, but that is not trivial since there are different sensors, and I suppose you have to remove the old gauges as well.

The EI instruments have the advantage of fitting in the standard size circular cutouts.  The display is obviously smaller, but I think looks more snazzy.  Not sure if it would be readable on the passenger side, though.  cost for a totally new install is not too far off

Edited by jaylw314
  • Thanks 1

The color 830 unit is a great modern analyzer. But I'd reconsider if your not upgrading to the 830 because the labor is pretty much the same to install primary monitor like the 900 versus a secondary one like the 830. Plus the secondary monitors can't replace your factory instruments like RPM, MAP, Oil Pres, Fuel Pres, CHT ... so i'll be forced to continue to pay the expense of maintaining your old factory instruments that can get expensive at times. Lastly, because the 830 is secondary, you'll only have accurate CHTs on 3 out of 4 cylinders since you can't remove the factory CHT probe, you'll have to install a gasket probe either on a plug or at the base of the factory probe. Similar for oil temp too, it'll get installed at the warmer front rather the official primary location in back. 

What the 830 is awesome for is some one upgrading from a 700 series, since the upgrade can be had for about $1200, but if starting from scratch, you'd be better off going straight to a primary unit like the 900 and be free of your factory gauges. I am personally not a fan of the small CG-30P; they are too tiny of a display IMO to readily scan in flight but they are probably the perfect compromise for the small vintage panel that is so real estate challenged. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would echo Kortopates that if you are going down the route EI MVP-50 or JPI-900’ish.   

While a $3-4K more it is one and done.  Personally I would wait another year with what you have and save for it. 

• Thanks 1

The color 830 unit is a great modern analyzer. But I'd reconsider if your not upgrading to the 830 because the labor is pretty much the same to install primary monitor like the 900 versus a secondary one like the 830. Plus the secondary monitors can't replace your factory instruments like RPM, MAP, Oil Pres, Fuel Pres, CHT ... so i'll be forced to continue to pay the expense of maintaining your old factory instruments that can get expensive at times. Lastly, because the 830 is secondary, you'll only have accurate CHTs on 3 out of 4 cylinders since you can't remove the factory CHT probe, you'll have to install a gasket probe either on a plug or at the base of the factory probe. Similar for oil temp too, it'll get installed at the warmer front rather the official primary location in back. 
What the 830 is awesome for is some one upgrading from a 700 series, since the upgrade can be had for about $1200, but if starting from scratch, you'd be better off going straight to a primary unit like the 900 and be free of your factory gauges. I am personally not a fan of the small CG-30P; they are too tiny of a display IMO to readily scan in flight but they are probably the perfect compromise for the small vintage panel that is so real estate challenged. 

I went the 830 to 900 path and I wouldn’t do again (although the guy who bought my used 830 got a great deal since I gave him the new probes I didn’t need). Paul is correct about retaining all of the primary stuff.

I opted for some redundancy in my plane and installed EI tach, manifold pressure and fuel pressure gauges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:19 PM, Andy95W said:

I have the EDM 730 and I love it and the display.

19A397DF-B21C-4012-B11D-744D6B49B457.jpeg

I'm thinking of the 730 also. Don't have the cash for the 930, so was thinking the 730 was better than no monitor at all. 

• Like 1

An engine monitor is perhaps the most important piece in the panel for any plane, but especially a single engine IMO.

The EDM 900 is perfect for any Mooney panel, and I'm glad I did the upgrade from the 700 that came in my plane. It removes the pressurized oil and fuel lines in the older cockpits, which was a terrible idea from long ago.

Having said that, I would encourage anyone to figure out what they ultimately want for the solution... Primary replacement/remove old stuff? Integrated with a big G3X or Dynon screen? Advisory only and retain the old stuff? Then work backwards from there to your current situation.

If you cannot go to your final solution quickly, what is the best interim solution? Can you help with the installation yourself via sweat equity to reduce the cost? It is a simple task, but tedious. I'm a big fan of JPI products and wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 700/800 or 730/830, even used. The 700/800 is losing screen support soon, though.

Whatever you choose, please make it a high priority to install something from the 2000's or newer as soon as possible. Then learn how to interpret what it tells you! It could save your life, or keep you from getting stranded somewhere, minimize troubleshooting time, and more.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @KSMooniac,

I am really looking more at interim solutions right now.  The plane doesn't have any engine monitor, and I expect I'll have to overhaul the engine in the next few years.  That would be the ideal time to go to a Primary solution.

@kortopates Thank you as well...I just need to see where I can balance unit cost, installation cost, etc.

Continuing to look at my options as I look for backordered parts!

R.Katz

On 7/3/2022 at 2:59 PM, katzhome said:

Hi All,

My new-to-me M20J is still awaiting parts for some of the pre-buy squawks at Top Gun .  I'm considering getting an engine monitor, but with the purchase and the 1st year repairs an EDM 900 is not in the cards.  A CGR-30P might be possible, but the 30P/C combo is not at this time.

The EDM 730/830 seems to provide good functionality for a reasonable price...but I have read some complaints on the display.  Does anyone have any opinions to share on this model and it's ease of use or reliability?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

R.Katz

Curious what complaints about the display you've heard.  I bought my plane with an EDM-730 installed, and I upgraded it to an EDM-830 (which just means adding some probes/sensors and changing a setting in software).  It works great, is very readable, and I'm glad I have it.  No display problems.  But I regret going with the half-measure when I should have gone all the way and got an EDM-900.

• 2 weeks later...

If I were going to upgrade from EDM-700 to the 830, I know that the existing sensors can be used.

But there are a number of optional sensors.  Which ones should I order?  IE, what should I have displayed on the 830 that was not possible on the 700

This will be going on a 252.

38 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

If I were going to upgrade from EDM-700 to the 830, I know that the existing sensors can be used.

But there are a number of optional sensors.  Which ones should I order?  IE, what should I have displayed on the 830 that was not possible on the 700

Technically ALL the sensors are optional, since it's not a primary instrument :) 

The 830 can display everything graphically, including RPM, MP, oil temp/pressure, fuel flow.  It can also display CHT/EGT's, TIT and IAT, although I IIRC all those can be displayed on the 700 graphically as well.  

it should definitely have FF, TIT, Map and RPM. Oil pressure would be good too since that can be an issue with Turbo’s.

But go straight to a 900 to get accurate CHT on all 6 plus accurate oil temp - which aren’t possible with the 830 because of the factory instruments. Plus the 900 allows getting accurate fuel level with CIES - a big plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My thought was, go to the 830 for now.  Then eventually the plan is a Garmin G3X with EIS in the Garmin

So this is interim.  Otherwise, yes, the 900 makes much more sense.

Would the 700 not have TIT and possible fuel flow.  I guess I will have to wait to see what is actually installed.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:55 PM, KSMooniac said:

An engine monitor is perhaps the most important piece in the panel for any plane, but especially a single engine IMO.

I would strongly disagree.  I flew decades with original gauges and people flew decades before me with the same.  Most fly today with the same gauges.  

This idea that no engine monitor leads to engine death is wildly over stated.  I have a MVP-50 and it’s a good add to have.  I certainly wouldn’t chose it over my GTN650c G5, etc.  

11 hours ago, Pinecone said:

My thought was, go to the 830 for now.  Then eventually the plan is a Garmin G3X with EIS in the Garmin

So this is interim.  Otherwise, yes, the 900 makes much more sense.

Would the 700 not have TIT and possible fuel flow.  I guess I will have to wait to see what is actually installed.

700 has options for TIT and fuel flow.  TIT is depicted graphically the last column labelled "T", fuel flow is not (it's on the rotating display line at the bottom)

image.png.ef863fbdc9fc59e0f84fdd96a95d21ce.png

Edited by jaylw314

4 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

fuel flow is not (it's on the rotating display line at the bottom

Or you can flip the switch and have only the fuel flow info rotating through.

The three position switch will displays Temps & Battery, All or Fuel Flow info.

5 hours ago, M20F said:

I would strongly disagree.  I flew decades with original gauges and people flew decades before me with the same.  Most fly today with the same gauges.  

This idea that no engine monitor leads to engine death is wildly over stated.  I have a MVP-50 and it’s a good add to have.  I certainly wouldn’t chose it over my GTN650c G5, etc.  

I'll have to strongly disagree with the caveat its depends on if the pilot know how to use their monitor. The monitor can and has saved me from loosing an engine and altered me to make a precautionary landing before it was too late. Plus its saved multiple cylinders for me over the years alerting to me to take swift action before it was too late from a pre-ignition issue and partially clogged injectors. 

Yet I see a lot of these issues go unnoticed by pilots with very capable monitors. I even seen low oil pressure falling into the white arc go unnoticed by a pilot for a full 45  minutes till the engine quit and then have to make a dead stick landing. I even saw a Cirrus pilot notice they were losing oil pressure and rather than make a precautionary landing directly below them, turn around for home and climb. The pilot didn't make it home but managed to last another 30 min in the air till their engine seized and they pulled the parachute. And of course I've seen countless loss of cylinders of by pilots that didn't recognize a cylinder was over temping due to an injector clog or pre-ignition event. But I'd like to think they all learned a valuable lesson.

An engine monitor can't fix stupid nor ignorance, but in the hands of a pilot that takes the time to learn how to use one and incorporates the the screen in their scan it can make all the difference in alerting the pilot intime to get down safely before its too late or to just pull power intime to avoid un-needed or otherwise more severe engine/cylinder damage - which these days often involves loss of their plane for several months.

Given the digital times we live and fly, I couldn't imagine choosing to fly without a modern engine monitor any more than I wouldn't choose to fly without  onboard weather and traffic. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kortopates said:

it can make all the difference in alerting the pilot intime to get down safely before its too late

If we're talking engine monitors saving ones bacon, I'm in that group.  A few years ago I was heading to KFRG from the west under the NY CBA and had just started my final descent to 500' to go alone the shore south of JFK.  In the descent there was a slight burnt something smell, but it was summer and down low that's not totally uncommon.  Once I got down the smell got just a little stronger, but this time the question is why do we still smell it where we were.  And then a few seconds later it got stronger, but still no visible smoke.  I'm now doing a major scan of the instruments and there is nothing apparently wrong.  On my second pass around everything only a few seconds later I have no #5 cylinder.  No major shaking, no major smoke, but the smell is getting stronger and I declared an Emergency to JFK Twr and kept scanning. 

At this point I was give or take 5NM SE of JFK and about 18NM to FRG when they asked "what are your intentions?"  I had that half second thought of going to FRG since the engine *seemed* to be running smooth, but obviously with out the #5 cylinder, so I told them we were landing JFK.  Had I not had an engine monitor, I would know know I lost a cylinder.  The oil or stock CHT did not change and the engine was not shaking and no apparently loss of power.

Turns out there was a BIG hole burned in the side of the cylinder in a place were the wall is think and the mechanic had never seen one fail there.  It probably would not have taken much longer for it to seize.  And there I'd be over marshland and water OR had I gotten closer to FRG, over residential areas with not a lot of off field options.

Edited by PeteMc
  • Like 1