O2d2 System

It takes a lot of O2 to pay for.  If you fly a lot with O2 probably better to fill your own tanks for which there are a million posts on the topic.  O2 is really only expensive when you have the FBO filling your tank.  

13 hours ago, GaryP1007 said:

Looking for a pirep on the O2d2 system and EZ Breathe cannula. Thanks.

I went with the Precise Flight system as I didn't want to have to worry about batteries.

• Like 1

I went with the O2D2 and bring an extra set of batteries. I liked it so much I bought a refurbished O2D1 for the back seat. I set it at 5000’ and use it every single flight (above 5000’). Flying twice a week I just get the tank filled at every annual. 

I do carry backup cannulas with the appropriate fitting in case the computer dies but so far it’s been pretty reliable.

1 hour ago, ilovecornfields said:

I went with the O2D2 and bring an extra set of batteries. I liked it so much I bought a refurbished O2D1 for the back seat. I set it at 5000’ and use it every single flight (above 5000’). Flying twice a week I just get the tank filled at every annual. 

I do carry backup cannulas with the appropriate fitting in case the computer dies but so far it’s been pretty reliable.

Since it is the same AA batteries as my headset, I always have spares on board.  But I am still using the batteries that it came with, 5 years ago.  I do remove them from the unit when I store the equipment in the hangar.  I think the power draw is minimal for the unit.  Obviously the amount of use is important.  I estimate the unit has been on for about 150-200 hours of my last 500 hours. 

Since my daughter was born, I do not fly high as often.  Good luck getting an infant to wear a mask!  I did not even try.  Finally, at age 2, she stopped fighting the hearing protection.  

The O2D2 can be powered by a USB power source:

"The O2D2 External Power Jack (page 4) provides the option of operating your O2D2 from an external power source rather than from battery power, which can free you from constant concerns about the state of your batteries. The most convenient arrangement is if your aircraft has a DC power jack ("lighter" socket), in which case a suitable voltage adapter can be plugged in to the existing socket and the O2D2 powered from that. However, the O2D2 requires a 4.5 VDC source with fairly narrow tolerances. DO NOT wire the O2D2 directly to your aircraft power bus (which is typically either 12 or 24 Volts). Furthermore, most commonly available power adapters are not compatible with the O2D2 and could potentially damage your O2D2 unit. Mountain High recommends the MyGoFlight DualMicro Power Adapter. You should still keep a fresh set of batteries installed in your O2D2 in the event of failure of the power adapter and/or cable"

19 hours ago, M20F said:

It takes a lot of O2 to pay for.  If you fly a lot with O2 probably better to fill your own tanks for which there are a million posts on the topic.  O2 is really only expensive when you have the FBO filling your tank.  

It costs me $50 for a tank fill at my home airport. With the O2D2 system I only need to fill up 3 or 4 times a year and I fly 150+ hours a year. 

43 minutes ago, hubcap said:

It costs me $50 for a tank fill at my home airport. With the O2D2 system I only need to fill up 3 or 4 times a year and I fly 150+ hours a year. 

That almost buys a refill of one of my transfilling tanks that allows a whole lot of refills from my hangar at my convenience. Just say'n

• Like 1

I have the O2D2 and feel it's worth every penny.

I started out with a SkyOx system with a 24 cu-ft tank. A tank would last 3-4 hours for two people at 12,000 feet. The problem with that is that every trip needs to start with a full tank, so you're filling a lot of half-empty tanks. That's when I bought the transfill system, I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure I have invested over $1000 in the transfill system between the hose hookup and the 3 125 cu-ft industrial tanks. 

That's when I updated to the O2D2. I use about 1 cu-ft per hour for two people at 12k ft. So 24 hours from a portable tank. Now I don't have to fill nearly as often, and I don't have to fill nearly as many half-empty tanks.

Then I bought the Encore with a built-in 115 cu-ft tank. The O2D2 combined with the big tank allows me to fly a full year on a fill-up. Now I don't really need the trans-fill system anymore, I could just have my shop fill it at annual and I'd be all set. 

I feel it's all about the convenience, and not so much about the cost. But lets look at the cost. $50/fill, 3 fills per year with O2D2 and 12 fills per year without. So $450 per year in fill savings if you are using it a lot. 

Larry

• Like 2

I run an O2D2 for the front seats and the 3 in the back back get cannulas. I generally run around mid teens if I’m going somewhere. I’ve kicked around getting another D2 but so far, it has been a nonissue.  I bought a welding tank, the big one, off Craigslist and then did an exchange at Airgas. I have the trans fill, single tank set up from Mtn High and fill sloooooowwwwwlllllyyyyyy with the tanks resting in a bucket of water. 

This has worked very well for me over the course of the last 5 years.  The Transfill was the most expensive part on the supply side with the D2 being the most expensive. I say if you are getting into the O2 scene, buy once, cry once. But get the O2D2 set up/combo from Mtn High and stop worrying about it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 9:06 AM, kortopates said:

That almost buys a refill of one of my transfilling tanks that allows a whole lot of refills from my hangar at my convenience. Just say'n

That’s fair, however for me, looking at the total cost of aircraft ownership, the cost of filling the O2 for a year falls into the category of “rounding error”. 

I've had a great experience with mine.   I appreciate the more efficient use of oxygen.   However, that's not why I fly with it.  My nose and sinuses are much more comfortable after a long flight.  The reduction in dryness is significant.   For me, it's a much more pleasant experience.  

• Like 1

Love it!  I’ve had it about 10yrs.  It’s all about convenience.

it’s nice you feel the puffs of air in your nose so you know without a doubt you are getting 02,

I change the batteries once a year long before they are near spent.  I then demote those unspent batteries to various non critical non aviation settings.

e

We ran ours off a USB port and kept backup batteries. You have to unplug the power cord from the o2d2 for it to switch over to battery so lithium batteries last forever basically as we just left it plugged in to USB all the time.

It's not about the cost of the O2 it's about the convenience of never needing to fill on the road.

Edited by philip_g

On 7/2/2022 at 12:10 AM, Niko182 said:

Everyone that has the o2d2 loves it. I havent heard bad things about it. I want one badly.

You have one now.  It was terrible.  I couldn't get my saturation level above 93% even on the highest flow.  I also didn't like hearing my breathing over the headset.  I sent mine back for refund.  

In all fairness to Mountain High I have an altitude compensating regulator for which they couldn't compensate.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, donkaye said:

You have one now.  It was terrible.  I couldn't get my saturation level above 93% even on the highest flow.  I also didn't like hearing my breathing over the headset.  I sent mine back for refund.  

In all fairness to Mountain High I have an altitude compensating regulator that they  couldn't adjust for.

Don, what do you use on Bravos for flying under 18000?

12 hours ago, donkaye said:

In all fairness to Mountain High I have an altitude compensating regulator that they  couldn't adjust for.

So the problem was because of your equipment, not theirs correct?