Correct connection of Oil cooler Lines to Accessory case.

Hello, esteemed board. 

I would like to check about the the oil line connections to the accessory case on Lyc IO360. In the stock schematics from the IO-360 operating manual (p.7-11, 2005), it shows the oil cooler connections above and below the oil filter adapter.

image.jpeg.8e00c67dbcf48839a73ac14eaae1d8f1.jpeg

In the stock photo of the accessory case, it shows the oil cooler connections above and below the oil filter adapter in positions "1" and "8" in the stock photo.

image.jpeg.71b25c624d3cd359c987c5dddb32e448.jpeg

Adding to confusing this illustration 7-3 from IO-360 Operating Manual:

image.jpeg.56efe552592ae553181bdaa37b8ec1a6.jpeg

My connections are slightly different as marked by the arrows. Both connections are located at the top of or above the oil filter adapter. Could this be a contributing factor of my higher engine oil temperatures? I'm currently in the process of replacing 20 years old hoses (possibly replacing them with oil cooler relocation STC). Please see the photos attached.

image.jpeg.b72a2c23ef9dfcc2cf0bdfbdf1f46679.jpeg

image.jpeg.a378805e2f57a56d0689e57b292ffbe8.jpeg.

So now that I'm changing the hoses, I wonder should I follow the Operating Manual schematic versus present install? 

Both of my oil cooler lines are on top of the oil filter adaptor next to each other like yours.  I too have higher oil temp than before rebuild, but that is how it was hooked up previously.  I was wondering if it matters which way the flow goes through the oil cooler?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

I was wondering if it matters which way the flow goes through the oil cooler?

Yes, it matters.  The oil should be pushed up from the bottom.  Otherwise, there is the likelihood of an air “bubble” existing at the top of the oil cooler, which means the oil doesn’t get the benefit of all of the cooler’s fins and surface area, resulting in higher oil temperatures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ukrsindicat@yahoo.com said:

Are you talking at five o'clock of the filter housing (Marked as #8)?

The one at 5 o clock and the one at 11 o clock are opposite ends of the same passage.  As Andy points out, oil should come from either of these fittings to the bottom of the cooler and return from the top fitting of the cooler to the blue fitting.

Clarence 

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Yes, it matters.  The oil should be pushed up from the bottom.  Otherwise, there is the likelihood of an air “bubble” existing at the top of the oil cooler, which means the oil doesn’t get the benefit of all of the cooler’s fins and surface area, resulting in higher oil temperatures.

I understand that, but mine has both connections on the bottom.   I’m thinking about unbolting the cooler and turning it upside down over night.  

On 7/2/2022 at 5:32 PM, M20Doc said:

The one at 5 o clock and the one at 11 o clock are opposite ends of the same passage.  As Andy points out, oil should come from either of these fittings to the bottom of the cooler and return from the top fitting of the cooler to the blue fitting.

Clarence 

Sounds good, thank you. Sounds like I need to unscrew the plug at 5 o'clock of oil filter (#8) and install the fitting/plumb the hose going to the bottom of the oil cooler. Then install the other hose connecting the top of the oil cooler to the blue fitting on the engine. The plug the silver fitting at the 11:30 on top of the oil filter housing. That sounds about right? 

3 hours ago, ukrsindicat@yahoo.com said:

Sounds good, thank you. Sounds like I need to unscrew the plug at 5 o'clock of oil filter (#8) and install the fitting/plumb the hose going to the bottom of the oil cooler. Then install the other hose connecting the top of the oil cooler to the blue fitting on the engine. The plug the silver fitting at the 11:30 on top of the oil filter housing. That sounds about right? 

No need to relocate your hoses.  The silver fitting is out to the bottom of the cooler, return from the top of the cooler to the blue fitting.

Clarence