Harvey Field Airport

Perspective is playing here.  The wheel track is about 9', which is much thinner than the 36' width of the runway.  I was based out of Harvey when I had an M20J.  Same landing gear footprint.  It was no big deal on length or width.  The uneven asphalt was the bigger issue, but the runway was recently repaved.  I have not landed there since the repaving, though.   

Not sure the skinniest runway I have landed on, but I know 3O8 (Harris Ranch) is listed as 30', and sticks in my mind.  

• Like 4

The 36 foot width wouldn't bother me. I just need to keep the mains on the runway. If I stay on the center that won't be any problem.

https://airnav.com/airport/S43

The 2672 foot length with obstructions on both ends is more of a problem. Could it be done? Yes. Could it be done every time if I wasn't 100% or if something comes up? Maybe not. I wouldn't choose to base here, but some may. I like to have more of a margin of safety for that 1 in 100 time that something isn't perfect. I plan on landing and taking off more than 100 times if I base there.

• Like 2

Looks like fun!

Around here I worry more about taxiways.   Usually the runway width is fine, but on some of our less-travelled airports when the vegetation gets overgrown next to the taxiway I've had my wingtips slapping brush on both sides.

I'm just looking at the entire picture here.  the powerlines, the trees and fence at the end of the runway, the thought of going around looks like you're not going around.

I have landed years ago at Chico Ranchaero, 2,156' X 30'  That was in my E Model.  i wouldn't take my Ovation in there, not a chance.  It's not nearly as perilous as what I see in this photo.

https://airnav.com/airport/CL56

• Like 1

I’ve landed on a 35’ runway before, it isn’t as intimidating as you would imagine. 
your perspective changes as you approach anyway so your just dialed in further out,or your going around because you know it. You also, without thinking about it get real slow instead of all those little hedges. Again, I think it’s the perspective and sight picture. 

1 hour ago, Bolter said:

Perspective is playing here.  The wheel track is about 9', which is much thinner than the 36' width of the runway.  I was based out of Harvey when I had an M20J.  Same landing gear footprint.  It was no big deal on length or width.  The uneven asphalt was the bigger issue, but the runway was recently repaved.  I have not landed there since the repaving, though.   

Not sure the skinniest runway I have landed on, but I know 3O8 (Harris Ranch) is listed as 30', and sticks in my mind.  

Heck, I used to put a King Air C90 into Harris Ranch all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolter said:

Perspective is playing here. 

I've been in and out of Harvey a number of times.  Great little airport.  I'm more concerned about the parachute jumpers than the runway.  The M20E makes it in easily and handles most cross-winds without a problem.  The runway improvements have been very welcome too.  Just remember the three critical things when landing:  Airspeed - Airspeed - Airspeed.  :)

• Like 1

I haven't been there in years but there were no issues with obstructions. It's definitely a perspective of long lens on camera used to take a photo.

Now, if you head in other direction from Paine field, you'll get to Langley, W10. Taking off north, you'll have some tall trees to clear very close to the end of the runway that got taller over the years in PNW weather. ;)

image.png.d892140b18ea5d47c3cb6b1f9a42d243.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

Now, if you head in other direction from Paine field, you'll get to Langley, W10.

Yes, W10 (Whidbey Air Park) runway is 25 feet wide.  Plenty long at 2470 feet if not overloaded.  Good news, the elevation is only 271 feet and near Puget Sound so rarely get much Density Altitude problems.  A little pucker power the first time in though. 

• Like 1

I had a CFII take me simulated engine out to his home field, 2440 x 40. I visit my parents at a nearby field that 2770 x 30. It's very doable, and reinforces the discipline of landing on the center line. 

• Like 1

During a BFR years ago in a 172, the instructor pulled out the throttle and said the obligatory "Ok, you've lost your engine- where you going to land?"

I spied a gravel road with no power lines, no traffic and lined up with it.   At about 20 feet AGL I glanced at him expecting him to tell me to go-around.  He didn't.  So I landed.  Then he said "let's go".   That road was barely 20' wide.

After changing jobs my flying had to go on the back burner, then into the fridge, eventually the freezer.  13 years later I was able to pick it up again.  My check ride was on a blustery day and the little C175 was bouncing all over the place.  I LOVED IT! 

Then came the time to do landings and I used almost the whole 75 foot width of the runway because of 17 knot and gusting cross winds.  I was really embarrassed.  Took a few before I got the touch again.  @0TreeLemur definitely outperformed me that day!

I've had my Mooney in similar conditions and I love the way she tracks right down the center. 

52 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

San Rafael CA35 is 30’ wide and 2100’ long.  I was based there for a year.  Going around after landing on runway 22 is unlikely but you can merge onto 101 northbound.  

Which is why when I lived in San Rafael I flew out of Novato, KDVO.

• 3 weeks later...