Flap Retraction skipping

10 minutes ago, drstephensugiono said:

Anyone Had issues with flaps skipping during retraction in the air? It doesn’t do it on the ground

There are fancy relays controlling the flaps…

When they start to misbehave the relays are typically the culprit…

Search for flap relays around here… you might get some really interesting ideas…

Best regards,

-a-

4 minutes ago, drstephensugiono said:

It retracts midway and stops and suddenly springs to full retract position giving me a jolt!  It seems like it’s catching but can’t tell where at?!  Where is the flap delay location?

It's probably either the relays (which would need to be replaced) or more likely the up/down limit switches (those can be cleaned up a little).

If the flaps stick and then spring forward giving a jolt, it doesn't sound like a relay to me.  It sounds mechanical.

The day after I bought my J, with my instructor doing transition training, I experienced an asymetric flap retraction. Retracting from take-off flap position I felt a strong pull to one side. I looked down at the flaps, and one was up and one was not fully up. Instructor said it was impossible, yet here we are. To shorten the story, the skin on one flap was slightly elevated and catching on a piece of wing skin near the wing root. The fault would not present itself on the ground but finally a mechanic pulled really hard on the flap to simulate the air load and got it to catch. It was fixed by bending down the offending piece of wing flap skin and adding some teflon tape to prevent if from catching.

Larry

• Like 1