Navigation around weather

When I first started flying, there were still a lot of WWII pilots hanging around the airport lounge. 

I asked a fighter pilot what they did if they encountered thunder storms. 

He said to put your pencil in your mouth so you don’t chip your teeth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Some bumps in the road must cause some people to bounce off the cabin ceiling…

Be sure to know how tight your lap belt is and how far from the ceiling your head is….  :)

Bouncing off the ceiling may come as a surprise the first time…

PP thoughts only,

-a-

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

USAF policy used to be 10 miles below FL230 and 20 miles at or above. Some airlines say avoid by 5 miles. Ok if it’s building white puffy but dark and anvil no way. Heard a technique avoid T-Storm by 1 mile for each knot of wind at that altitude. Makes sense but have not paid attention to the speed of the wind for separation in the past mostly direction and used speed for where it will be by the time I get to it. 
I try to avoid the rain as it’s hard on paint and I used to think it would wash / clean the airplane but dirt or grease mixes with it and streaks down the side and belly and wings and makes me wash it when I get home again. 

On 6/27/2022 at 2:33 AM, carusoam said:

Some bumps in the road must cause some people to bounce off the cabin ceiling…

Be sure to know how tight your lap belt is and how far from the ceiling your head is….  :)

Bouncing off the ceiling may come as a surprise the first time…

PP thoughts only,

-a-

Don’t think you can tighten the belt enough to keep from hitting the roof. I remember being surprised one day not to have a head shaped bulge on the top of the fuselage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1