47 year old side windows fogged

My side windows are green tinted and might be original (no log entry for replacement) 

The windows are foggy and need polishing/buffing to clear them up. Does anyone have recommendations for products or experience doing this task?

Thanks in advance

foggywindows.png

Jpr,

This is your first owner / PP project that is completely legal for you to do…

There is a company that makes replacement windows…

You get choices of thickness, and color… or replace with the same that was there from day one….

Light solar gray is good…

Clear is a terrible choice…

Thicker can be better…

search for PlanePlastics…

Cleaning the old sealant takes the most effort…

The one company (May still) also sells the other stuff you want for the project… including drills and sealants….

There are plenty of threads around here by people that have done the same…

Best regards,

-a-

There's nothing that can really be done to remove the crazing. You can spend all kinds of money on lotions and potions, but they won't do anything. The only option is replacement. I replaced two at each annual, the last being the windscreen. The difference is beyond day and night.

• Like 1

Replacing the side windows is allowed under owner maintenance. 
that is one of the first jobs I did after buying my plane years ago. It is not difficult job, parts are reasonable inexpensive (for airplanes, at least) and i was quite happy with results. I’ve done it on ramp as I didn’t have an access to the hangar at the tim

good luck

10 hours ago, Jpravi8tor said:

My side windows are green tinted and might be original (no log entry for replacement) 

foggywindows.png

Yours is a ‘75?  Did the later year F models not retain the split rear windows?  I thought the J was the first model to incorporate the single pane rear windows.  No?  

1 hour ago, 47U said:

Yours is a ‘75?  Did the later year F models not retain the split rear windows?  I thought the J was the first model to incorporate the single pane rear windows.  No?  

There may have been some late 1975 manufactured F models that were designated 75 models but had the single pane windows. I know the 76 F models were the first with the single pane rear windows and that carried over to the 1977 J model as did the quadrant controls and a few other things. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jpravi8tor said:

The windows are foggy and need polishing/buffing to clear them up. Does anyone have recommendations for products or experience doing this task?

Thanks in advance

foggywindows.png

Time for new windows.  Buy the 1/4" thick version and machine a step in them so they will fit flush with the skin.  While the windows are out strip the paint off the first 1/2" of skin in anticipation of painting.

Clarence 

5 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Is there a low-speed tool for this that won't melt the plastic?

I made a fixture for my table saw.  It held the window at the correct depth and angle to mill a step in the window.  I used a fine tooth carbide saw blade to cut the window.   I then drilled and counter sunk the window to fit the fuselage skin.  Then glued and screwed them to the airframe.

Clarence 

On 6/23/2022 at 5:34 PM, Jpravi8tor said:

Sooo a lot of elbow grease and Meguirs PlastiX I got the windows cleaned up somewhat 

062295D2-3269-472C-97D9-EF7FB0FE9B69.jpeg

Nice work. The effort you put into restoring those pales in comparison to installing new ones. My windows are 55 years old and are still clear.  Do you think it was UV or abrasion that clouded your windows? What did you use to clean them? I’ve wet sanded old window with good results but it’s time consuming.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:03 PM, Shadrach said:

Nice work. The effort you put into restoring those pales in comparison to installing new ones. My windows are 55 years old and are still clear.  Do you think it was UV or abrasion that clouded your windows? What did you use to clean them? I’ve wet sanded old window with good results but it’s time consuming.

Acrylic is very sensitive to environmental issues at the surface…

Oddly, UV is the biggest challenge, scratches are probably next… then acid rain and other chemicals…

both don’t get very deep and can be cleaned up pretty well…

Side windows don’t have the same critical nature as looking through the windscreen…

Some lensing can occur when treating deeper scratches…

interestingly… the old green window may not appear as green as it used to… cleaning them up may restore their greenness.

My 65C’s green windows were looking gray by Y2K… 

They were more coke bottle green when removed, as seen from their edges…

There must be different UV lights… one that causes damage, the other that passes through and causes heat in the cabin…

Choose solar gray…. :)

Best regards,

-a-

Had the same issue with foggy '77 green windows.

Went with the thicker LP Aero Plastic side windows, upgraded to the larger pilot side window opening STC, and added an opening window to the co-pilot side.

Fantastic upgrades, and the solar gray looks so much better!

• Like 1

I used Novus 3-step plastic polish on my '62.  I've been wanting to try it on the '67, which has windows very similar to yours in foggyness.  I was amazed at how clear my '62s windows became with just some elbow grease...  Not really that much!  If I get it done, I will try to post before and after pictures.

NovusPolish.jpg

26 minutes ago, cctsurf said:

I used Novus 3-step plastic polish on my '62.  I've been wanting to try it on the '67, which has windows very similar to yours in foggyness.  I was amazed at how clear my '62s windows became with just some elbow grease...  Not really that much!  If I get it done, I will try to post before and after pictures.

NovusPolish.jpg

I used this same stuff last night and it's amazing. I was just messing with getting things more perfect on my plane 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2022 at 3:39 PM, M20Doc said:

I made a fixture for my table saw.  It held the window at the correct depth and angle to mill a step in the window.  I used a fine tooth carbide saw blade to cut the window.   I then drilled and counter sunk the window to fit the fuselage skin.  Then glued and screwed them to the airframe.

Clarence 

by chance do you have a picture of your table saw jig for the bevel  windows ?

• Like 1