Filing an ICAO Flight Plan

A couple of questions for the forum:

1.  How do you file an ICAO flight plan with FSS using the radio?
2.  How do you file an ICAO flight plan with FSS using the telephone (the old fashion way)?

I'm not asking about how you dial a phone (1-800-WX-BRIEF) or how to pull up FSS on a radio -- I got that.  What I'm asking about is what do you say, and in what order?

I've set of my Foreflight to do flight plans in the ICAO format.  So if I plan and file via Foreflight and the internet it's 'easy peasy.'   

However, there've been a couple of occasions where I need to file a "pop up IFR" or I didn't have internet access and the ICAO format just blows my mind if you don't have everything filled out.  For the the previous method, I had a business card sized version of the legacy FAA Form 7233-1 and it was easy to pull that little card out and rattle off the elements from that card to the FSS.

For my little brain, the ICAO format makes things so much harder...

Thanks,

Bruce

Edited by MisfitSELF

18 minutes ago, MisfitSELF said:

For my little brain, the ICAO format makes things so much harder...

Me, too, brother! My old cheat sheet was credit card sized, laminated, and listed the information that I needed in the right order.

The ICAO stuff is much longer and more difficult. No more simple "/G", there's a half-dozen things to remember . . . . .

• Like 1

While I have set up 1800wxbrief site to file ICAO flight plan for couple years now, i filed a number of pop up flight planes with simple M20p/g, x hours of fuel and number souls on board with no complaints from ATC. They do all the work 

I didn’t call flight service to file for over 15 years so I can’t help you there.  
this comes from pilot who learned ICAO plans first. 
cheers

• Like 1

You can download and print a copy of the ICAO flight plan form, and keep it with you for reference. Copy the info from what you have stored with Foreflight. The form is available on Foreflight documents.

Once suggestion I have would be to set up an account with Leidos (1800WXBRIEF.COM). You can save pilot and aircraft information with them, so that when you call to file a flight plan either by phone or radio, the FSS personnel will already have that information, and they can prompt you to fill in the blanks if needed.

Flight plan filing with Leidos gives you the advantage of being able to activate and close by replying to a text message sent 30 minutes prior to your departure or arrival time. I find this much simpler than the Foreflight method.

Jon

Edited by 4cornerflyer

Because it's less confusing for foreign pilots operating here.  :D

To me, it's all part of globalization and the push for one world government and all people everywhere have the same very basic, very limited rights, only as spelled out in the laws and everything not specifically permitted is prohibited.