Rear Seat Re-install: '62 M20C

I recently removed the rear seat in my “new-to-me” (co-owned) ’62 M20C.  As a first-time Mooney owner, I read and watched videos since I heard the experience could be frustrating. When I went to remove the seat back, after removing the bolts at the top, I noticed nothing was attached at the bottom (the bottom seat bracket wasn’t connected through the seat belt bracket). The seat came out easily. I figured it was just an oversight and I would be able to attach it through the belt bracket at the bottom when I put it back in.  It seems I was wrong. When I try to do that, I’m at least a ½ inch below the hole that the seat belt bracket went through.  However, there does seem to be a hole that would accommodate the bracket for the seat back.  I marked what I’m seeing in the attached picture.  The red arrow points to the hole for the seat belt bracket. The yellow arrow points to the hole that I could best align the back of the seat bracket with (in the picture to the left of the yellow arrow). 

So… my questions: Is it likely that this bracket was modified at some point? Should I just get another bolt to secure the bottom of the seat back in the opening that appears to work/best align? Could I be doing something completely wrong?

I have the bolts in the upper brackets (but not tight).  There seems to be no way I can move the seat to align with the seat belt bracket holes.  Thanks in advance for any advice. 

M20C Rear Seat Bracket.jpg

8 hours ago, BCY said:

I have the bolts in the upper brackets (but not tight).  There seems to be no way I can move the seat to align with the seat belt bracket holes.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

I do not know if my ‘63C is correct… in that, the bottom seat attachment bolt doubles as the seat belt anchor bolt.  There is a bushing to maintain clearance between the seat bracket and aircraft structure for the seat belt hook to snap into.  I’m just doing the same as when I got the airplane.  Someone may have better info than me, and then I’ll learn something, too.

I suspect your upper seat brackets are mounted on the front side of the attachment mount welded to the aircraft structure.  Try moving the upper seat attachment to the aft side of the upper mount.  You may find that change will align the lower seat bracket with the forward hole (red arrow) in the aircraft side lower mount.  

Good luck…

Thanks! You are correct. I'll try moving the upper seat brackets to the back. When I removed it, they were on the front... possibly why the bottom wasn't attached. ;-) Thanks for the tip!