Considering engine monitor EI CGR-30

On 6/17/2022 at 3:56 AM, Rusty Pilot said:

I am considering adding an engine monitor and autopilot to my panel in a 1974 Mooney 20C ...

Just curious what you picked up at the end and how did it go? I have EI MVP-50P sitting in the box if anyone is interested. It has all the boxes and sensors and is configured for IO-360.

MVP-50P_bench_test.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rusty Pilot said:

I went with the EI CGR 30P to fit nicely in existing panel.  We are starting the installation later this month during annual inspection.

My understanding is that CGR 30P and MVP-50P use the same boxes and sensors. It is the display which is different.

That makes it nice then, what that means is there is one box that I believe is waterproof that all the analog sensors attach to, which I believe can be mounted in the engine compt, then essentially one wire because I think it’s an analog to digital convertor, a bus connection to the CGR or MVP, that takes a rats nest of wiring out from under your panel, makes troubleshooting wiring connections much easier cause a box mounted on the firewall is a whole lot easier to access, and means no great big hole through the firewall that more than a dozen wires have to run through. We mounted it in the cockpit because maybe the early versions weren’t waterproof? 

I think that box may have been called a EDC-33?

On 6/29/2022 at 9:21 AM, MMsuper21 said:

I like my CGR30 however install can be a pita, many golden boxes to place behind the panel. I personally like the round form factor and I already had a G2 (primary for egt)  so single CGRc got me fuel P, fuel L, fuel R, oil temp, oil pressure, MP, RPM, AMP, volt, and Vac.

I got to fly behind them JPI and prefer the CGR screen resolution. 

Also it won't fit on top right co pilot side too long, hence G2 is there. Empty spot on pilot side is waiting for GI275 to come in. 

PXL_20220606_201441490.jpg.dd96a74f9701e54dc9285a3a10eaf85e.jpgPXL_20220606_201455052_MP.jpg.090f514a3ebe79cc007036b5ae90f060.jpg

Damn where are those clean panels from?

23 minutes ago, MMsuper21 said:

Here is the completed pic and thanks. Pilot side is Hendricks MFG, happy to share the template I used. Right side local guy. 6B372101-9282-4480-8FC9-857A6F7354A1.jpeg.4e862611ed9aff7856ae890bc6609996.jpeg

Was thinking about engaging Hendricks.  Is the pilot side still mounted on shock mounts with the same tilt or is it more vertical in inset?  How did you close the gap between the radio stack and the panel?  Thanks.  

40 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

Was thinking about engaging Hendricks.  Is the pilot side still mounted on shock mounts with the same tilt or is it more vertical in inset?  How did you close the gap between the radio stack and the panel?  Thanks.  

End of page 2 all the pitas are described. I kept the shock mounts and the gi275 has no issues, it’s flat and has a small gap on the right, not really noticeable. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 1:39 PM, DCarlton said:

LASAR sell the triangular part, Cover, to hide that gap. They also sell spacers and panel shock absorbers (made by Lord) for reasonable price.

Or you can buy separately. For some reason I had to buy the longer spacers from McMaster to support the panel and fit the Cover better.