Considering engine monitor EI CGR-30

I am considering adding an engine monitor and autopilot to my panel in a 1974 Mooney 20C.  Has anyone installed an EI CGR-30.  Do I need the basic or premium package?  Are you satisfied with its performance?  I am also considering going with JPI.

I cannot speak to the EI instrument, but I chose the JPI 900 as a primary replacement simply for the “single page”  well laid out display.  It does take up slightly more panel space,  but very little.  Also, if you’re adding the fuel level indication as a primary function, you might want to confirm the condition of your sending units or at least know they may need changing out—to the newer CeIS units or similar.  Even though I’m sure both units are solid, I chose the JPI and it does a great job.

• Like 1

I replaced all original engine instruments with CGR30p except for the fuel gages. Those were done by Aerospace logic FP202

i love the cleanest of installation and reliability is great. I highly recommend it. I did the install myself and estimate 30+ h with all new copilot panel

On 6/17/2022 at 6:56 AM, Rusty Pilot said:

I am considering adding an engine monitor and autopilot to my panel in a 1974 Mooney 20C.  Has anyone installed an EI CGR-30.  Do I need the basic or premium package?  Are you satisfied with its performance?  I am also considering going with JPI.

Lets see what the EI guy says… @oregon87 (EI CGR questions)

-a-

• Thanks 1

The CGR-30P Basic includes the following functions:  RPM, EGT, CHT, fuel flow, OAT or carb temp, volts and a few timers.  No other functions can be added or substituted.  This package is for those looking for a color engine monitor and fuel computer.  Even though it can legally replace the factory tachometer, CHT and fuel flow (NOT fuel pressure) gauge, it's not really designed for primary gauge replacement.  

The CGR-30P Premium always includes RPM, EGT and CHT.  From there and at the time of purchase, you select five additional primary functions and five non-primary functions.  Primary functions are defined as those that include limits/redlines and are required by the manufacture.  RPM, manifold pressure, oil pressure, oil temperature, fuel pressure, fuel quantity, etc are examples of primary functions.  Examples of non-primary functions are horsepower, carb temp, OAT, g-meter, CO detector, etc.  The Premium option is far better suited for those looking for a color engine monitor, fuel totalizer (fuel flow must be selected as a monitored function) and primary gauge replacement.

Worth noting, Oshkosh is just around the corner and we will be offering rebates at the show!  Additionally, we will be offering a rebate during the month of July for those that are unable to attend Airventure.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, oregon87 said:

The CGR-30P Basic includes the following functions:  RPM, EGT, CHT, fuel flow, OAT or carb temp, volts and a few timers.  No other functions can be added or substituted.  This package is for those looking for a color engine monitor and fuel computer.  Even though it can legally replace the factory tachometer, CHT and fuel flow (NOT fuel pressure) gauge, it's not really designed for primary gauge replacement.  

The CGR-30P Premium always includes RPM, EGT and CHT.  From there and at the time of purchase, you select five additional primary functions and five non-primary functions.  Primary functions are defined as those that include limits/redlines and are required by the manufacture.  RPM, manifold pressure, oil pressure, oil temperature, fuel pressure, fuel quantity, etc are examples of primary functions.  Examples of non-primary functions are horsepower, carb temp, OAT, g-meter, CO detector, etc.  The Premium option is far better suited for those looking for a color engine monitor, fuel totalizer (fuel flow must be selected as a monitored function) and primary gauge replacement.

Worth noting, Oshkosh is just around the corner and we will be offering rebates at the show!  Additionally, we will be offering a rebate during the month of July for those that are unable to attend Airventure.

Thanks, I am hoping to make the purchase during Oshkosh to leverage any discounts.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oregon87 said:

The CGR-30P Premium always includes RPM, EGT and CHT.  From there and at the time of purchase, you select five additional primary functions and five non-primary functions.  Primary functions are defined as those that include limits/redlines and are required by the manufacture.  RPM, manifold pressure, oil pressure, oil temperature, fuel pressure, fuel quantity, etc are examples of primary functions

I've been looking at these (CGR-30P Premium) for a little while and it looks like a fantastic fit for my older plane.  It will not only give vital information but open up some panel space while making it easier to get the information I need to monitor the engine.  Hope to take advantage of the July rebates also.

• Like 2

Does any one have pictures of the CGR-30P Premium installation? Especially pictures of the mounting of the boxes that controls the unit’s and fuel flow mounting.

I have the CGR-30P Premium package and waiting for the installation to begin.

I might have a picture showing box install. 
it was attached to the flat sheet metal bracket that is itself attached to the steel tube frame in copilot wheel whel in my 67F tubing had a couple of threaded bosses for #10 screws that I used to attach the bracket. Your model might not have them.
box is partially covered by side carpeting on copilot side

On 6/17/2022 at 3:56 AM, Rusty Pilot said:

message me.  we sell both, and ive owned both.  can speak about pros and cons of each.  

Bryan 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Having worked on many airplanes with engine monitors and having installed many, I’d pick a JPI or an Insight before any others.

Clarence

having owned and installed JPI and EI, and having sold a pile of both, they each have pros and cons.  EI is a much better co to deal with, JPI installs easier, and i prefer the interface slightly.  But if not cutting a new panel, the EI looks better, and is still a primary unit.  

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 10:58 AM, oregon87 said:

so with the Mooney E models. Something like MP, Fuel pressure, Oil temp, oil pressure, and amps would need to be your 5 primary displays since those are what the factory gauges have correct? Would nonprimary at that point be fuel levels for the left and right tanks and then any other extra features?

It doesnt seem to me like the CGR could be a buy one replace all type gauge but maybe im missing or overlooking something. Ive been trying to decide that engine monitor i go with for the next upgrade as well. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mooney Dog said:

so with the Mooney E models. Something like MP, Fuel pressure, Oil temp, oil pressure, and amps would need to be your 5 primary displays since those are what the factory gauges have correct? Would nonprimary at that point be fuel levels for the left and right tanks and then any other extra features?

It doesnt seem to me like the CGR could be a buy one replace all type gauge but maybe im missing or overlooking something. Ive been trying to decide that engine monitor i go with for the next upgrade as well. 

EI CGR-30P looks very attractive until you realize that you need both CGR-30P and CGR-30C to replace all your primary instruments legally. A single CGR-30P (even their "premium" package) will not be able to show fuel quantity on the same display all the time with other required data. You either have to leave your original instrument cluster in, marking all instruments but fuel gauges "inop",  or install another instrument certified as primary for the fuel gauges. At this point, there are better options around. 

Edited by vik

Have you looked at the MVP-50? I have had both a JPI 830 and 900. My 900 has been back numerous times for issues. I had it back for 3 display replacements, a couple of times for firmware updates needed (like for it to work the CiES fuel senders) and a power up issue.

My experience with the EI products in my plane have been great. I don’t have a full EI engine analyzer but have their RPM, tach and fuel totalizer. Rock solid (including the fuel totalizer that has been in the plane for close to 30 years).

Just keep in mind that replacing individual gauges with a single primary replacement instrument means if one primary function fails, the plane is grounded. I added the EI RPM and tach just to have power gauges in case the JPI failed in flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

EI has fantastic customer service… :)

If you are fortunate…

1) Select the engine monitor that best fits your needs…. EI has a few really good ones….

important to know primary vs. non-primary, for replacing existing gauges…

2) Purchase from the right seller…. Avionics Resource, Chase and Brian are really helpful…

3) Get installed properly… Tri-city Aero, and Clarence really know the details…

These three resources are consummate MSers…  :)

PP thoughts only…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

I like my CGR30 however install can be a pita, many golden boxes to place behind the panel. I personally like the round form factor and I already had a G2 (primary for egt)  so single CGRc got me fuel P, fuel L, fuel R, oil temp, oil pressure, MP, RPM, AMP, volt, and Vac.

I got to fly behind them JPI and prefer the CGR screen resolution. 

Also it won't fit on top right co pilot side too long, hence G2 is there. Empty spot on pilot side is waiting for GI275 to come in. 

PXL_20220606_201441490.jpg.dd96a74f9701e54dc9285a3a10eaf85e.jpgPXL_20220606_201455052_MP.jpg.090f514a3ebe79cc007036b5ae90f060.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MMsuper21 said:

I like my CGR30 however install can be a pita, many golden boxes to place behind the panel. I personally like the round form factor and I already had a G2 (primary for egt)  so single CGRc got me fuel P, fuel L, fuel R, oil temp, oil pressure, MP, RPM, AMP, volt, and Vac.

I got to fly behind them JPI and prefer the CGR screen resolution. 

Also it won't fit on top right co pilot side too long, hence G2 is there. Empty spot on pilot side is waiting for GI275 to come in. 

PXL_20220606_201441490.jpg.dd96a74f9701e54dc9285a3a10eaf85e.jpgPXL_20220606_201455052_MP.jpg.090f514a3ebe79cc007036b5ae90f060.jpg

Looks great!

On 6/26/2022 at 10:04 AM, vik said:

EI CGR-30P looks very attractive until you realize that you need both CGR-30P and CGR-30C to replace all your primary instruments legally. A single CGR-30P (even their "premium" package) will not be able to show fuel quantity on the same display all the time with other required data. You either have to leave your original instrument cluster in, marking all instruments but fuel gauges "inop",  or install another instrument certified as primary for the fuel gauges. At this point, there are better options around. 

It is worth noting that most aircraft with a constant speed prop will have both a 3-1/8" tachometer and a 3-1/8" manifold pressure gauge.  As such, when looking to replace all of the aircraft's engine and fuel gauges, removing the factory tach and manifold gauge provides the real estate necessary for the CGR-30-Combo package.  

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 9:47 AM, Mooney Dog said:

You and Vic are correct. To complete the install you will need CGR30P and additional Fuel level gage. There are couple of options and I went with Aerospace logic F202.

image.png.fabfeaf8ad9ec0e4605de362fa064c69.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/29/2022 at 4:12 PM, MMsuper21 said:

Also customer support from EI is amazing. Needed to reset the redline for RPM due to Hertzel prop (limitation removal) and was able to do it via email on the field in less than 48hours. 

That was the primary reason I chose EI and the MVP-50T to put in the Thrush crop dusters years ago, product support, when the aircraft is how you make a living, you have to have support right away.

• Like 1