Mooney down, no injuries Ocala

10 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

While I don’t wish an investigation on the aircrew, it would actually be nice if these “minor” ones resulting from loss of power were investigated.  The airplane is in perfect condition and the aircrew are alive for interviews.  It should be really easy to determine cause and get us better statistics/safety.  

When the loss of power is at night/imc and the same airplane impacts a hillside at high velocity, the resulting investigation takes a long time and is much more difficult to find the cause.

I guarantee the FSDO will be investigating even though the NTSB won’t be. They’ll also pursue maintenance or mechanical issues to the fullest as well as possible pilot error. Not as easy following their reporting, but the data is there.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kortopates said:

I guarantee the FSDO will be investigating even though the NTSB won’t be. They’ll also pursue maintenance or mechanical issues to the fullest as well as possible pilot error. Not as easy following their reporting, but the data is there.

I hope that’s true, but the more formal investigation and data published by the ntsb gives me more confidence that someone gets to the bottom of it.

How do we get to the fsdo data?

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

I hope that’s true, but the more formal investigation and data published by the ntsb gives me more confidence that someone gets to the bottom of it.

Not sure you can. It’s usually an informal investigation, one inspector shows up asks questions and sometimes that’s the end of it.

No property damage, no one hurt, unless it’s gross negligence that’s often it. This will most likely be some kind of material failure, hopefully not a fuel starvation issue.

I’m curious too, but more likely to find out by calling and asking or from someone through the grapevine.

I was at the local sit around the fire pit and drink coffee this morning, should have asked, since it was a local airplane I bet someone has heard.

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

it starts with the daily incident/accident reports and then goes into another FAA database accessible on the FAA.gov site. it will probably take a few months to be found but their investigations are much faster than the ntsb. they are not really tasked with finding fault as much as making recommendations checking off a half dozen different factors such as if a far was broken - but it seems they are mostly concerned with identifying if improper maintenance led to the incident. Things like pilot error are referred up to the operations inspector to follow up with the pilot and the FAASTeam program manager whom chooses what to do about it e.g. such as remedial training. I am one of instructors that gives remedial training and have been involved in a few of these.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

I have a 17 YO client in a 2009 Acclaim working on his PPL right now......don't ask

well i have a 60+ yo working on his PPL in a J. Maybe we ought to have them trade planes?!? lol’s 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, A64Pilot said:

, hopefully not a fuel starvation issue..

I found out that one of the pilots is related to a friend of mine. This person told me that the pilots had just fueled the plane and were concerned with a post crash fire as the tanks were full. Based on what I heard, they made some good decisions given the situation.

22 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I won't ask how much- but which was more expensive, the airplane or the first year policy?  :)

I bought my J at 50 hours and a wet PPL. Insurance was/is 3700 a year. Now I'm at 98 hours in the 7 months I've had it. Supposed to go down 9% in the next 30 hours or so. Most places quoted 7500 a year... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayMatt said:

I bought my J at 50 hours and a wet PPL. Insurance was/is 3700 a year. Now I'm at 98 hours in the 7 months I've had it. Supposed to go down 9% in the next 30 hours or so. Most places quoted 7500 a year... 

You did really well for a first year premium.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

just thinking of you boring a hole with fredricksburg based n242kt

I had previously trained Kurt in his Encore so knew the type of pilot he is, but more importantly, unlike the Private, I was in the airplane at all times.  Unless one has insurance to cover one's Net Worth, an impossibility in my case, since I can't even get the waiver of subrogation and additional insured anymore, unfortunately, teaching the Private puts everything one has worked for and acquired at risk.  For me that is unacceptable.  It's a shame we live in such a litigious society because, unlike the 250 hours instructor who has no real world experience or assets, assets, experience and wisdom are usually acquired with age, and that could be useful to new want-a-be pilots.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, donkaye said:

I had previously trained Kurt in his Encore so knew the type of pilot he is, but more importantly, unlike the Private, I was in the airplane at all times.  Unless one has insurance to cover one's Net Worth, an impossibility in my case, since I can't even get the waiver of subrogation and additional insured anymore, unfortunately, teaching the Private puts everything one has worked for and acquired at risk.  For me that is unacceptable.  It's a shame we live in such a litigious society because, unlike the 250 hours instructor who has no real world experience, assets, experience,  and wisdom are usually acquired with age, and that could be useful to new want-a-be pilots.

hehe, it's over between mcdonalds and geico, nothing is safe.   GEICO fights woman's claim for contracting HPV after having sex in customer's car - Washington Times

While getting insurance for flying is getting pricey without question, one well known client pilot was telling me getting homeowners insurance because of the "(Insert pronouns here) live there" by gawkers for their house and has been refused by a couple of the major carriers not wanting to accept the risks because of a google search on them. So far, my age has only interfered with being added to one clients' policy, but I am sure as I get older like Don, that will accelerate. The thing that makes no sense to me is that I am also on a few other policies with the same carrier. This pilot is over 80 so that may have something to do with it/ Maybe they take the average of the cockpit :)