New Server for Mooneyspace!

mooniac58

Hello all,

Today I upgraded the server from a shared hosting program to a new "virtual private server" - our storage went from 100GB to 250GB and we will now have continuous backups (we have not had backups since we exceeded 50GB on the old plan).

You should also notice that things are running considerably faster around here.  We have a lot more processing power and quicker disk access, etc.

The migration happened really quickly but there is a chance that within an hour or so today something you posted might have been lost in the transition, I apologize for that but it is the nature of the beast.

I am increasing storage limits to 1GB for Supporter members and 200MB for Basic members.  However, please still be mindful about your uploads - obviously if 200 supporters decide to max out their upload limits we are going to be in trouble again.  We currently sit at about 75GB storage usage so we have about 175GB of headroom.

The new server plan costs about 3x what we were paying before.  Donations would be appreciated as always and remember that Supporters have the ads turned off and get 5x the storage space of basic members.  You can donate at this link if you so desire - $10 minimum per year will grant you Supporter level access.

Please let me know if anything else seems off or not working correctly...I have not seen anything but things like this usually end up breaking something or other.

Fly safe!

Craig

• Like 8
  • Thanks 15

• mooniac58 pinned and featured this topic
1 hour ago, mooniac58 said:

Please let me know if anything else seems off or not working correctly...I have not seen anything but things like this usually end up breaking something or other.

Thanks for the work you do to keep this site up and running. 

Craig @mooniac58- I have an iPad Pro from my work that gives me the following message:

"This page is currently unavailable 

If you are the webmaster for this site, please contact your hosting provider's support team for assistance."

My personal iphone and really old personal ipad work normally.

Edited by Andy95W

1 minute ago, Fly Boomer said:

"Work" IT people may have done something wonky to the networking setup.  I would check with them first.

I thought so too.

I just closed everything out and rebooted.  It works now.

2 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Thanks for the work you do to keep this site up and running. 

Craig @mooniac58- I have an iPad Pro from my work that gives me the following message:

"This page is currently unavailable 

If you are the webmaster for this site, please contact your hosting provider's support team for assistance."

My personal iphone and really old personal ipad work normally.

Sounds like a sticky DNS lookup.  The IP address of the site changed and wherever your iPad was getting the IP was the old one.  Likely would have cleared up in 4 hours or so depending on DNS caching settings on the device, network or ISP.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

Craig - I hope the folks at Tapatalk reached out to you about their updated plug-in. The PMs aren’t working with your site and Tapatalk. Everything else appears to be working correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They have not but I will look into it.  Thanks for the report!

15 hours ago, mooniac58 said:

Hello all,

Today I upgraded the server from a shared hosting program to a new "virtual private server" - our storage went from 100GB to 250GB and we will now have continuous backups (we have not had backups since we exceeded 50GB on the old plan).

You should also notice that things are running considerably faster around here.  We have a lot more processing power and quicker disk access, etc.

The migration happened really quickly but there is a chance that within an hour or so today something you posted might have been lost in the transition, I apologize for that but it is the nature of the beast.

I am increasing storage limits to 1GB for Supporter members and 200MB for Basic members.  However, please still be mindful about your uploads - obviously if 200 supporters decide to max out their upload limits we are going to be in trouble again.  We currently sit at about 75GB storage usage so we have about 175GB of headroom.

The new server plan costs about 3x what we were paying before.  Donations would be appreciated as always and remember that Supporters have the ads turned off and get 5x the storage space of basic members.  You can donate at this link if you so desire - $10 minimum per year will grant you Supporter level access.

Fly safe!

Craig

I donated when I first joined MS, but the ads kept coming.  Not even sure the donation was successful.  More than happy to do it if the process works.  Should I expect some sort of confirmation or receipt if I do it again?  

10 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

I donated when I first joined MS, but the ads kept coming.  Not even sure the donation was successful.  More than happy to do it if the process works.  Should I expect some sort of confirmation or receipt if I do it again?  

When you donate if your PayPal email is not the same as your MS email - make sure to give your MS member name in the donation notes.  In the event of a mismatch I always send an email to the PayPal address to try and get the match made but sometimes I get no reply (likely because people have an old email tied to their PayPal that they are not checking anymore).  It seems every year I have 5 or so donations that I can never track down what account they belong to. :( 

In any event you can always email me using the Contact Us link here or message me on site.

Thanks!

Craig

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2022 at 9:13 AM, 201Mooniac said:

Craig, Thanks for all you do.  This sounds like a great upgrade for us.  I just donated again, well worth it.

+1 Thank you for keeping this forum online and in peak operating capacity.