AMAZING flight with my daughter and her boyfriend over NYC doing the Skyline Route!!! Totally impressed with NY ATC as well!!

Fly_M20R

Hello everyone!

I am posting the video of a really nice flight I did with my daughter and her boyfriend over the Hudson, across Manhattan over N. Central Park, and back down the East River using the Skyline Route in Class B airspace. It was a first for all three of us as well as the first time for Chris flying in a small plane. NY ATC was just amazing as well. I also had Chris fly for a bit to get him enthused. Flew out of Lakewood, NJ which was a great airport as well. Quirky winds though which almost always seem to be crosswinds from every possible direction...;)

Enjoy!!

Chris

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Thanks Chris, that was fun riding along.  Many years ago, did the same including a circle around the Statue of Liberty. Good memories.

Thank you and welcome David. I thought about dropping down to <1000 ft to be in the "local" VFR zone once I was out of Bravo airspace South of Verazzano bridge but was getting a bit late. Will do the VFR exclusion zone next time I go back up to NYC (hopefully in Oct) and circle the Statue of Liberty just as you did. It is on my "bucket list". :)

• Like 1

Chris,

As usual great video, my wife and I enjoyed it.  We fly to Ocean City, NJ (26N) for breakfast and a walk on the boardwalk and next flight we are going to add a jog north and see the city.

Thanks 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 9:23 AM, Stan said:

Chris,

As usual great video, my wife and I enjoyed it.  We fly to Ocean City, NJ (26N) for breakfast and a walk on the boardwalk and next flight we are going to add a jog north and see the city.

Thanks 

Hi Stan,

Glad you enjoyed it and is prompting you to do similar. The flight across Manhattan at Central Park is totally LGA traffic pattern as well as how busy LGA tower may be. Hopefully you get to do the same. Otherwise you may have to go up to the GW bridge and turn around over there. You could also make it a point to fly further up North and go have lunch at another airport such as Poughkeepsie which is supposed to be nice. I am sure there are others who can make great suggestions as to nice airports N of NYC. 

I would also suggest that when going back South and past the Verazzano bridge you could drop down below Bravo airspace and go back North and then drop down further to the "local" VFR exclusion zone (below 1000 ft) and fly around the Statue of Liberty. You should definitely get a copy of the NYC TAC as well as go online and download the VFR exclusion zone procedures and if possible also take the FAA online course. It is definitely easier to go via the Skyline Route in Bravo with ATC. Less worries about avoiding traffic in a busy VFR corridor over the Hudson below 1300 ft. From what I gather you will NOT be able to cross Manhattan from the Hudson to the East River unless you are in Bravo (Skyline Route).

Enjoy and report back.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oscar Avalle said:

You gave me a lesson on how to deal with our kids boyfriends/girlfriends! Nicely done..

LOL!!!  Get them in the front seat and involved the first time they go for sure. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 5:26 PM, Fly_M20R said:

Thank you and welcome David. I thought about dropping down to <1000 ft to be in the "local" VFR zone once I was out of Bravo airspace South of Verazzano bridge but was getting a bit late. Will do the VFR exclusion zone next time I go back up to NYC (hopefully in Oct) and circle the Statue of Liberty just as you did. It is on my "bucket list". :)

unless you're willing to fly at a 80 knots, i don't recommend it . there's a lot of cessnas sightseeing.  the helis fly at 700, so they're less of a problem. l  prefer to fly up higher in the bravo in my bravo 

• Like 1