Rotator cuff surgery

RobertGary1

50 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

What did the PT have you do?

They sorted out what muscles had failed (fatigued) and why (somehow my hips and back had gotten significantly out of alignment, which caused all kinds of problems), got me realigned and then a few months worth of focused PT exercises (mostly at home) to get all the supporting muscles working right again so that the fatigued ones didn't have to do the work of the others, got the fatigued ones back in shape, etc.   It was a process, but it all seems to have worked and fixed some other issues along the way, too.   I'm still doing some maintenance exercises, but it all seems to have been fairly productive and successful.   The education along the way was worth it, too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EricJ said:

They sorted out what muscles had failed (fatigued) and why (somehow my hips and back had gotten significantly out of alignment, which caused all kinds of problems), got me realigned and then a few months worth of focused PT exercises (mostly at home) to get all the supporting muscles working right again so that the fatigued ones didn't have to do the work of the others, got the fatigued ones back in shape, etc.   It was a process, but it all seems to have worked and fixed some other issues along the way, too.   I'm still doing some maintenance exercises, but it all seems to have been fairly productive and successful.   The education along the way was worth it, too.

The suspension for me is that the muscle is torn. MRI is back just need to wait for my next appt for the dr to look at jt. 

• Like 1

When I had my shoulder scoped and cleaned, the doc took 1/4" off the end of my collar bone. Result was "don't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk" [8 lb] for 90 days. That bone work was not expected nor discussed in advance, but the end was "pointy" and he thought it lead to my problem so he "fixed" it "while I was in there."

I'm currently in PT for my left knee. Spent six weeks hobbling then walking with a cane. First flight will be tomorrow if taxiing around doesn't feel too bad. Had two rides scheduled with CFI since I didn't think I could climb into the left seat--first was weathered out, second one I was called back to work just a few minutes after leaving for the airport, stuck there until after 1900 [and 45 minutes from the field].

Just fell funny, the MRI showed nothing torn just a bad sprain and a hard blow to the top of the tibia. Have been to PT seven times, each time noticed an improvement the next day. Walking without the cane at work yesterday was weird, but felt almost right today. Still on Motrin, still have some swelling [most noticeable by comparing ankles, because gravity pulls it down], still can't raise my left foot as high as my right knee . . . .

Do what you can, don't push too hard except at the therapist's place, and ask them about what you can do away from them. I'm still avoiding stairs, but they have me do many steps while there.

Joints heal slowly, and the shoulder is the most complex joint in your body. Be careful and heal well, you don't want to reinjure it by pushing too hard too soon.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

Someone asked how I thought I damaged my shoulder.  In my case I got drafted right out of college. My draft notice arrived at home before I got there.  Lots of pushups had to be done before I got shipped off to Southeast Asia.  I should sue the government for the abuse.

If you have shoulder surgery pending I would recommend you buy a cheap sling so you can practice day to day tasks with the use of one arm.  Was helpful for me.

One thing that has been emphasized to me is the need for physical therapy.  Find a therapist who has experience and plan two or three sessions per week for months.  I have heard of folks who have not taken PT seriously and do not get a good outcome.  A few need another trip to the operating room.   

• Like 1

I’ve got shoulder issues too. Dislocated one in college and had it repaired then.  That’s the good one.  Other one has had two cortisone shots over 4 years.  I would definitely try the cortisone if it’s an option before surgery.  There’s pain medicine and anti inflammatory meds directly into the joint and they can last for a good long time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FoxMike said:

One thing that has been emphasized to me is the need for physical therapy.  Find a therapist who has experience and plan two or three sessions per week for months.  I have heard of folks who have not taken PT seriously and do not get a good outcome. 

Do the PT on your own between therapy visits religiously or don’t expect a successful outcome. About 90% of the people who have unsuccessful outcomes don’t do the therapy at least as often as recommended. Do it more frequently if you can as long as you don’t have pain doing it. Expect 3 months for the recovery and if you do the therapy religiously another 3 months to get a normally functioning shoulder again.

Softball injury tore my cuff, bicep tendon and the collar bone cut the tendon that raises the arm. Other than a cortisone shot 3 years ago (15 years after surgery) it’s been good enough to play volleyball regularly for the last 9 years. Did the original PT more frequently than planned with therapists approval and it made a positive difference. I’ve heard plenty of horror stories of unsuccessful shoulder surgeries and most admit not following though on the PT. Just my experiences if they help.

24 minutes ago, FoxMike said:

25 minutes ago, FoxMike said:
  • Like 2

Robert, I had a rotator cuff repair April 2021 after a (snow) skiing injury. The first couple weeks after surgery is pretty miserable, especially in regard to sleeping. They will probably have you wear the shoulder immobilizer for about a month, which greatly limits your activity.

It was about three months before I could safely fly on my own. Until then every week or two I had local pilot friends fly my plane, while I rode as a passenger. Can't let it sit too long without use. 

This would be a good time to have major work done on the plane, if anything is coming due, like an engine overhaul or paint job, if you have the need and time to arrange it.

Jon

• Like 2

Rotator cuff, bicep tendon and torn supraspinatas tendon all repaired at the same time about 5 years ago. (basketball with 30 year olds). I thought the other shoulder needed it a couple years later but PT has allowed normal activities since.

• Like 2

2 directions on "injuries"-  Soft tissue tears and hard bone wearing out. Some soft tissues can be revitalized with PT many can not

When it comes time for bone on bone (no catilage between) then nothing can be done but repacement

New option on the long horizon is injections to regrow the cartilage. LONG way off.

Look for a PT place as carefully as you picked your surgeon IF your Doc doen't have one in mind. Some are good some are bad. 

The older you are the longer the recovery  Big difference between 50 and 70. Shoulder replacement is nothing to laugh at. Its a big deal. Rotator cuff is just one step down the ladder from replacement. 

Knees ain't nothing compared to shoulders. 

Get a shower nozzle on a long hose (held up with a magnet) so you can use one arm for showering. and not get your bad arm wet.

Something to consider is renting a recliner chair (electric actuator) to sit in and SLEEP in for a few weeks after surgery. Make sure it can be operated by your good arm side. We have a double recliner couch so it worked out OK for me. 

BIG item to figure out after surgery?  How are you going to wipe your butt if the shoulder is on your dominate arm!!!  It takes practice before surgery :-)

• Like 1

Not trying to be a smart arse, but get a bidet for the toilet. It will make life easier and once used to it you will hate traveling because you don’t have use of one.

I put our first on the boat because toilet paper was hard to get in the out islands and stupid expensive as all paper products were, but since then we won’t do without.

TP was a couple of $ a roll, the attached photo is $5.50 for a small roll of cheap paper towels when you could get it.

73970F87-9421-4B40-B210-E3009DBB3945.png

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

A recommendation from someone who has gone through serious PT a few times (learning to walk and rebuilding muscles after several MONTHS in a hospital bed), once the Physical Therapist cuts you loose, hit the gym, get a good Personal Trainer and keep working.

Physical Therapy get you functional.  Personal Trainer will take you to as good as you can get.

My Physical Therapy place is locating IN my gym.  And at times, I and my ex have had Physical Therapist and Personal Trainer working together.  AMAZING results.  Once you recover from the "torture" :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I’m seeing studies suggesting the PT without the surgery is successful 

Depends on what's wrong with the joint. No PT will help cartilage damage, or bone on bone contact due to missing cartilage. 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2022 at 5:20 PM, cliffy said:

Sounds like hoarding is needed there :-)

Second year I bought a whole bunch of toilet paper without the cardboard tube, smushed it down into a large foot locker sized plastic box.

Third year I didn’t want to waste all that storage space so I bought a bidet to try, won’t go back it’s just cleaner.

Trying to not get too graphic, but a bidet you need no paper, but a little to dry yourself and validate the bidet worked until you trust it is used.

If your dominate arm is compromised for a period a bidet can really save a significant amount of pain and discomfort, especially if you happen to be blessed with hemroids 

5 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Second year I bought a whole bunch of toilet paper without the cardboard tube, smushed it down into a large foot locker sized plastic box.

Third year I didn’t want to waste all that storage space so I bought a bidet to try, won’t go back it’s just cleaner.

Trying to not get too graphic, but a bidet you need no paper, but a little to dry yourself and validate the bidet worked until you trust it is used.

If your dominate arm is compromised for a period a bidet can really save a significant amount of pain and discomfort, especially if you happen to be blessed with hemroids 

Biggest thing I saw when researching this is you need electrical power. There are some that don’t call for it but they’re less effective. So an electrician to install an outlet where there typically is not one 

• Like 1

Physical therapy is incredibly helpful for all kinds of age related things…

So while you are there working on the shoulder….

Apply what you learn to the rest of the body…

It helps to have the time of the average retired Mooniac….. :)

Best regards,

-a-

17 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I have one of the Japanese Toto bidet seats.  No TP needed, there is a build in hot air blower to dry you. :D

17 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Biggest thing I saw when researching this is you need electrical power. There are some that don’t call for it but they’re less effective. So an electrician to install an outlet where there typically is not one 

I rana short extension cord from the normal bathroom outlet.

2 hours ago, Pinecone said:

I have one of the Japanese Toto bidet seats.  No TP needed, there is a build in hot air blower to dry you. :D

Toto makes great stuff! The heated toilet seats are wonderful in the winter, but I have no experience with any bidet made anywhere . . . .