Shout out to JP Instruments

My M20C came with the JPI EDM900 installed when I purchased the airplane in January. I noticed it was displaying LOGGING DISABLED and would no longer log any data, so I gave them a call. Apparently it required a firmware update that must be factory installed. I received an RMA number and waited for the airplane to be down for the GI275 upgrade before pulling out the JPI. 

Fast forward to this week, I dropped off the unit at their offices since they are local to me. Shelby was super helpful and said my RMA was already marked HOT and they would try to turn it around same day. I told them I would be in the area the next day so it would certainly be okay if they finished the work by the following day. The next day, it was ready. Apparently the chipset was also old and needed to be updated so they did that as well for no extra charge. All in all it was $125. 

Really good to know that the company stands behind its products and supports their customers with a quick turnaround and friendly service.

Edited by tim417
typos
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I had to send my jpi700 out to be fitted for the fuel flow plug and board update to get recordable fuel flow off my hopkins transducer that was already installed. Was $125 and took less than a week which shipped out from texas to California and back was better than the rest of my items that where shipped out when my plane was down for annual in sept 2021. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 6/9/2022 at 11:56 PM, carusoam said:

Wow!

First nice pirep for JPI service…

Please send Shelby a thank you note.

Let them know that good service is greatly appreciated.

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Same here. I have a 930 and it works really well, but they have never been very user friendly. It is nice to hear that is changing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a totally different experience with JPI; that is why I just purchased a GEM Insight G4.  InsightAvionics at least answers the phone and doesn't ask you to send in an email, or play games and try to multi-task when they are on the phone with you troubleshooting.  

I own an EDM930. It had some issues several years ago. JPI was always friendly and helpful solving the problems. Turnaround at their facility was always fast.

I even had a conversation with the owner / CEO once at Sun and Fun. He was helpful and is for sure standing behind his products.

The EDM930 is a wonderful piece of equipment. I removed all the old gauges as it is primary. It works well. Just once in a while a sensor must be exchanged. But this will be the same with any other engine monitor. And the time indication in the EDM930 is always drifting a little bit away since it was new. But this is not a problem for me. I just update the time once in a while.

A while ago, I bought a faulty new EGT sensor. As I called them, they were surprised. I mailed the sensor to them. They tested it, confirmed the fault and they sent me a new one (without a fault) back.

• Like 1

I realize that there are many folks with less than stellar experience with JP Instruments’ customer support, though with mine and some of the other recent positive experiences, there is hope they are improving. One advantage for my particular situation is that their HQ is not far from home so I can just walk in and get help. Their office staff is friendly and helpful.