Basic Med question

How long does it take after completing Basic Med course and uploading medical exam information for your Basic Med certification to show up on FAA.gov site?  Are you able to fly with your self assessment and certification form in the mean time.  I uploaded my Basic Med yesterday and my 3rd Class Medical is good through the end of August.  I plan on getting a Class 3 Medical again in early July and just operate with both.  Any reason to just stick with Basic Med?  TIA for responses.

3 minutes ago, Evan said:

Do you fly outside of the US, above 18k, for hire, or above 250 kias? 

I don't plan to fly outside the US or Bahamas and not over 18K and unfortunately I have not been successful getting my C anywhere close to 250kias.

4 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Not sure how it works having both, but if you bust a medical, it's a PITA to get one via SI and, until you get another medical, you are not eligible for Basic Med.

I plan to be careful not go after Class 3 Medical if I am not sure i can pass, but good point.

To answer your question, what the FAA shows on its pilot certification website has no bearing on whether you can fly under Basic Med. In my case it was updated quickly, within days, but you need not wait for that.

You can have a valid FAA medical and Basic Med at the same time. A flight can be made using either, but you cannot change mid-flight.

Jon

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Evan said:

You actually can you use both and is smart to have both. This way incase something were to happen with your health that doesn't require an SI per BM, then you can continue to fly.  There are only a couple of conditions that require a SI. They are:

1.       Epilepsy.

2.       Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.

3.       A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the 

This left off what is probably the most common disqualifying condition:

• A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
    • Myocardial infarction;
    • Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
    • Cardiac valve replacement; or
    • Heart replacement.

Jon

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Evan said:

You actually can you use both and is smart to have both. This way in case something were to happen with your health that doesn't require an SI per BM, then you can continue to fly.  There are only a couple of conditions that require a SI. They are:

I. Mental Health Disorders—A mental health disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:

• Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts.
  • Psychosis, defined as a case in which an individual:
    • Has manifested delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; or
    • May reasonably be expected to manifest delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis.
  • Bipolar disorder.
  • Substance dependence within the previous two years, as defined in 14 C.F.R. § 67.307(a)(4).

Furthermore, an individual with a clinically diagnosed mental health condition is prohibited from exercising BasicMed privileges if, in the judgment of the individual’s state-licensed physician, the condition:

• Renders the individual unable to safely perform the duties of or exercise the privileges of a pilot in command of a small aircraft under the FAA’s new medical rules;
  • May reasonably be expected to make the individual unable to safely perform the duties of or exercise the privileges of a pilot in command of a small aircraft under the FAA’s new medical rules; or
  • If the individual’s driver’s license is revoked by the issuing agency as a result of a clinically diagnosed mental health condition.

II. Neurological Disorders—A neurological disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:

• Epilepsy.
  • Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.
  • A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.

Furthermore, an individual with a clinically diagnosed neurological condition is prohibited from exercising BasicMed privileges if, in the judgment of the individual’s state-licensed physician, the condition:

• Renders the individual unable to safely perform the duties of or exercise the privileges of a pilot in command of a small aircraft under the FAA’s new medical rules; or
  • May reasonably be expected to make the individual unable to safely perform the duties of or exercise the privileges of a pilot in command of a small aircraft under the FAA’s new medical rules; or
  • If the individual’s driver’s license is revoked by the issuing agency as a result of a clinically diagnosed neurological condition.

III. Cardiovascular Conditions—A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:

• Myocardial infarction (heart attack).
  • Coronary heart disease that has required treatment (stent, bypass, angioplasty).
  • Cardiac valve replacement.
  • Heart replacement.

Is this a call for help?

Basic Med is a lot easier to deal with in a lot of ways if your physician is on board with it.    Mine is, and it's been really nice.   As mentioned, you don't need to carry any of the documentation, just make it available if needed (can be days later, emailed, whatever).   The usual documentation drills, like for a new rating or something, are much easier since as soon as you say "Basic Med", it's a sufficient answer and there's no need to produce anything.

The limitations that might be the most noticed, at least for me, are staying below 18k feet and below 6000 lbs gross weight.   Some fun opportunities have to get passed up, but for me it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

I'm on it because of a vision limitation in one eye.   I had a SODA for it, but it was only for distant vision, so when I got old enough that it also affected my near vision I just punted and went with Basic Med rather than fail a medical or have to jump through all the hoops again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

I'm on it because of a vision limitation in one eye.   I had a SODA for it, but it was only for distant vision, so when I got old enough that it also affected my near vision I just punted and went with Basic Med rather than fail a medical or have to jump through all the hoops again.

I'm on it because of an idiot AME. Not only did I not like driving 45 minutes to his office full of sick, coughing children too young to turn their heads or cover their mouths [he's a pediatrician], he had the nerve to tell me, at the end of the exam, "of course, you know I can't pass you." When my heart started beating again, he was holding a piece of cash register tape from the urine test that showed "TRACE" of sugar. So diet modification for a week, drive 45 minutes back to his office full of sick children, pay his fee again and pass.

When that Class III expired, I went Basic Med. Need to renew it this fall. So far, it's been great!

4 hours ago, 4cornerflyer said:

You can have a valid FAA medical and Basic Med at the same time. A flight can be made using either, but you cannot change mid-flight.

How do you determine which medical to use for a particular flight, if it's not one prohibited from Basic Med? How does anyone else know which Medical you are using?

I've never heard of this . . . . . . Anyone else? Can't think of a single reason to have more than one medical, unless you just like visiting doctors.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hank said:

I've never heard of this . . . . . . Anyone else? Can't think of a single reason to have more than one medical, unless you just like visiting doctors.

Except for an overlap when doing BasicMed while your FAA medical is still in effect, I can only think of one.  Concern about getting a condition that would prevent you from using your third class (a condition that would "unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate " (61.53) )

but would not prohibit operation under BasicMed (a condition "that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner.")

A technicality. I don't know if it has any practical significance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

Except for an overlap when doing BasicMed while your FAA medical is still in effect, I can only think of one.  Concern about getting a condition that would prevent you from using your third class (a condition that would "unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate " (61.53) )

but would not prohibit operation under BasicMed (a condition "that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner.")

A technicality. I don't know if it has any practical significance.

But then you wouldn't use your Class III ever again, right? You'd just be Basic Med forever.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1