Does this look confusing?

Probably just me, but the upcoming Los Angeles area TFRs this week are a bit daunting to me!  Makes the DC SFRA look like a walk in the park.:o

I think it's safe to fly tomorrow....????  We'll see if the briefer can figure it out when I call tomorrow:D

6AE1554F-F2D5-4048-81E5-6DB8FD377980.jpeg

Without looking into details it looks like POTUS is visiting LA and will be in the couple of different locations over the time. You have inner 10NM ring (no flying at all) and outer 30NM ring where you can IFR or fly with squawk code. 

1 hour ago, hais said:

Nah, it's just a certification test. Foreflight must prove they can display 50x the normal number of TFRs without crashing. 

Well, it displays them alright, but damn if I can figure out how to select one of the inner ones...it just brings up one of the outer ones!  What a disaster!

When O’bama was in la. I got caught in Fullerton.  Talked to FSS they day before.  The next day, they helped me file the next day, ifr limited to var only.  Clear day, rapid fire instructions, under lax approaches towards El Monte.  Then climb towards Gorman.   All of the rings are for different times and different days.   Good luck, fly safe or drive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ron McBride said:

When O’bama was in la. I got caught in Fullerton.  Talked to FSS they day before.  The next day, they helped me file the next day, ifr limited to var only.  Clear day, rapid fire instructions, under lax approaches towards El Monte.  Then climb towards Gorman.   All of the rings are for different times and different days.   Good luck, fly safe or drive.

I've flown in LA airspace since before TFRs were a thing....this "Venn Diagram" is something NEVER seen before.  It's usually just one centered around LAX; 30 mile outer, 10 mile inner no-fly.  Why this incomprehensible nightmare is needed is, well, incomprehensible:angry:

Latest TFRs have very short windows of operation…

Instead of blocking out the entire state for a complete day…

They are limited to certain areas for shorter amounts of time…

There is an email service that details this nicely…. (Probably AOPA)

Even the government is getting more modern… :)

To avoid all of the big hassle… go IFR.  It’s a smaller hassle…

Best regards,

-a-

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Latest TFRs have very short windows of operation…

Instead of blocking out the entire state for a complete day…

They are limited to certain areas for shorter amounts of time…

There is an email service that details this nicely…. (Probably AOPA)

Even the government is getting more modern… :)

To avoid all of the big hassle… go IFR.  It’s a smaller hassle…

Best regards,

-a-

Well, if you look at the overlap, most of the LA basin is covered regardless of which particular TFR is actually active.  IOW it blocks nearly the entire LA basin, anyway!  It's a colossal CF.  Gawd I hope they just go back to the one-and-done version.

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, MikeOH said:

I've flown in LA airspace since before TFRs were a thing....this "Venn Diagram" is something NEVER seen before.  It's usually just one centered around LAX; 30 mile outer, 10 mile inner no-fly.  Why this incomprehensible nightmare is needed is, well, incomprehensible:angry:

There's a new guy doing it or a change in procedure at the secret service, I'm guessing.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

There's a new guy doing it or a change in procedure at the secret service, I'm guessing.

Or, everything to do with the government these days isn't quite right...

I assume it is because AF1 is landing at LAX and then the POTUS is hopscotching around on M1. It would be nice if you could filter it by active and inactive, so when you were flying you could navigate around what is current and ignore the rest. As it is now, you have to read all of them to know what the deal is.

When I flew to NORCAL a few weeks ago, foreflight was showing a TFR at a military base. I was getting flight following from the controller at the base and asked him if I was good to clip the edge of the TFR (he just gave me a vector that would clip the TFR). He said the TFR was for an airshow next weekend. I said it says it is today. He checked the NOTAM and said it was correct. I told him that Foreflight insists it is today. He said I was the third pilot that said that. 

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Or, everything to do with the government these days isn't quite right...

I assume it is because AF1 is landing at LAX and then the POTUS is hopscotching around on M1. It would be nice if you could filter it by active and inactive, so when you were flying you could navigate around what is current and ignore the rest. As it is now, you have to read all of them to know what the deal is.

That would be a really nice feature on an EFB, I'd think, to maybe show all of them but highlight the active ones or something.       I think most presidential trips involve a lot of moving from place to place, so I don't know what's different about this one.  

35 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

When I flew to NORCAL a few weeks ago, foreflight was showing a TFR at a military base. I was getting flight following from the controller at the base and asked him if I was good to clip the edge of the TFR (he just gave me a vector that would clip the TFR). He said the TFR was for an airshow next weekend. I said it says it is today. He checked the NOTAM and said it was correct. I told him that Foreflight insists it is today. He said I was the third pilot that said that. 

Fubars and snafus are the norm, I'm happy when things go well.  ;)

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I assume it is because AF1 is landing at LAX and then the POTUS is hopscotching around on M1. It would be nice if you could filter it by active and inactive

With ForeFlight, when I tap the map, I see a green circle and I get a list of all the TFRs.  The documentation suggests that they are yellow if more than 8 hours in the future, and red if less than 8 hours in the future.  I suspect they just generate one for each planned stop.  If he doesn't go there, it gets removed.  If the plan changes on short notice and they add one, the TFR may already be red (8 hours or less) when it shows up.

image.jpeg.a33f254ed317d9abc3b79680ee60a3f0.jpeg

• Like 1