Radios/NAV Aids Fan Blower

41 minutes ago, GeneralT001 said:

Hi,

Seems like the small fan near the floor under the instruments is on its last legs (bearing are making a loud noise)

Any idea the cost of a new one and is it difficult to install?

Avionics cooling fan?

Probably a standard avionics part…

Find the part number on it…

Best regards,

-a-

And NOT WD40, use Tri-Flow as @M20F recommended.

A lot of people think WD40 is a general lubricant, but it's more for penetrating and breaking things loose.  It will not be long until the WD40 starts to collect "gunk" (technical term) and then the fan will really seize up.

4 hours ago, GeneralT001 said:

Seems like the small fan near the floor under the instruments is on its last legs

Have the avionics been updated since the early 80s?  Do modern avionics require external cooling?  It might be a question for your avionics shop, to remove it altogether.  Just say’n…

• Like 1

Most new avionics either don't require forced air cooling or have their own fans. However if you have older equipment such as a KAP or KFC autopilot, KX 155/165 nav/coms, etc., you need the blower. You can try lubing it, but the motor bushings are supposed to be permanently lubricated and when they get noisy they are usually shot. If you have a Bendix King KA 33 I have a working one I just removed from a panel upgrade. I'll sell it for $100 plus shipping.

IMG_4454.JPG.359910f7020519147bb328ccc0dfafac.JPG

• Like 1