Top Gun Maverick-not a mooney but I’ll let that slide.

11 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Why would you send piloted airplanes on that mission when a nice cruise missile would do?

I believe they did send a cruise missile to destroy that enrichment facility - a Tom Cruise missile!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I guess I’m a glass half full guy, but I thought it was relatively legit (for Hollywood) and I’ve flow a lot of low levels and dropped more than my fair share of lasar guided bombs!  Sure they took some artistic license (stealing a Tomcat?!), but they filmed a no-kidding rolling scissors dogfight!  It was fun, but really made me want to blow some stuff up again.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/9/2022 at 10:23 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

I've worked on Tomahawk missiles and maybe know too much about them. They could have easily flown those profiles except they wouldn't need to do the high G climb out. Why would you send piloted airplanes on that mission when a nice cruise missile would do? You could send a bunch of MALDs in to confuse the anti aircraft batteries. I'm pretty sure you could have told the Tomahawk which louver on the vent to hit. besides when does a steady state climb pull any Gs? Sure the pullout at the bottom of the bombing run, but they didn't start grunting until they were stable in the climb.

Also, having the lead plane paint the target with a laser designator, makes no sense. For a laser designator to work it has to paint the target until the bomb hits the target. That plane was long gone when the bomber got there.

Rewatch the movie. Lead plane drops the bomb trailing aircraft painted the target with the laser system. Only mavricks solo run does he both paint and drop the bomb.

56 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Laser guided bombs are so 80s. It’s all about GPS guided bombs these days.

They did 'explain' this earlier saying heavy 'GPS jamming' meant they had to use the Super Hornets with laser-guided bombs instead of F-35's.  Of course, that makes absolutely no sense at all outside Hollywood.

I know absolutely nothing about this, but I started Googling out of curiosity. Seems like there is definitely an ongoing tactical threat, hard to know how significant it is IRL. 

Currentish article:

https://www.defence-and-security.com/features/featuregps-jamming-the-escalating-threat-to-allied-mission-success-9117713/

And an oldish but official-looking research paper attached..

ADA397964.pdf

I don’t know about where you live, but around here I get 2 or 3 NOTAMs a week about GPS interference testing. It seems the military is very actively working on this. I assume they know way more than is in some sales broacher. I did a project with the company that does most of the RF work for the military and I can assure you they have some crazy smart people over there. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Laser guided bombs are so 80s. It’s all about GPS guided bombs these days.

For someone pointing out issues you seemed to miss details of the movie that explained why they did what they did. Every movie you have to suspend some reality or it’s not a movie it’s a documentary and even then documentaries sometime get it wrong. You are looking at this movie from the wrong perspective. If it was hollywood’s goal to make this accurate, they would not even used fighter planes. Sales would have sucked. Holleywood’s goal was to make money from people wanting to go see the movie and Tom Cruise knew that people wanted close up dogfight scenes low level flying and use F-18’s and F-14. Why not F-22 or F-35? First probably because there is still stuff classified that the military would not allow filmed, but more importantly way more pilots have flown the F-14 and F-18 than pilots that have flown the F-22 or F-35 so more sales  of movie tickets from the nostalgic retired crowd and their families.  when i went to see it my neighbor invited my wife and i to see it with their retired squadron friends and they had bought out the entire theater room! and I’m sure that was happening all over the country. Same goes for going into a crater and back out way more visually exciting to see than a plane dropping a bomb into the creator. Dogfights are so far apart in real life it would look boring to the non flying public but bring the planes closer than they normally would be and put a zoom lens on the plane and now it looks cool. So the producers made a story plot line that allowed them to film close ups and low level flying and even dog fighting with an old no longer in service F-14 to maximize sales and the military got a free recruiting video and on that perspective they are hugely successful as the box office sales show. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

For someone pointing out issues you seemed to miss details of the movie that explained why they did what they did. Every movie you have to suspend some reality or it’s not a movie it’s a documentary and even then documentaries sometime get it wrong. You are looking at this movie from the wrong perspective. If it was hollywood’s goal to make this accurate, they would not even used fighter planes. Sales would have sucked. Holleywood’s goal was to make money from people wanting to go see the movie and Tom Cruise knew that people wanted close up dogfight scenes low level flying and use F-18’s and F-14. Why not F-22 or F-35? First probably because there is still stuff classified that the military would not allow filmed, but more importantly way more pilots have flown the F-14 and F-18 than pilots that have flown the F-22 or F-35 so more sales  of movie tickets from the nostalgic retired crowd and their families.  when i went to see it my neighbor invited my wife and i to see it with their retired squadron friends and they had bought out the entire theater room! and I’m sure that was happening all over the country. Same goes for going into a crater and back out way more visually exciting to see than a plane dropping a bomb into the creator. Dogfights are so far apart in real life it would look boring to the non flying public but bring the planes closer than they normally would be and put a zoom lens on the plane and now it looks cool. So the producers made a story plot line that allowed them to film close ups and low level flying and even dog fighting with an old no longer in service F-14 to maximize sales and the military got a free recruiting video and on that perspective they are hugely successful as the box office sales show. 

Jeez, you sound like my wife….

• Haha 3

By the way the squadron that saw the film said they got it way more accurate in the flying scenes than not. Of course the tactics they used nor use of F-18s were not what the navy would use but then they also realize there would not be a movie and that allowed them to be entertained and bring back memories of their experiences instead of focusing and grumbling about the inconsistencies that I’m sure they could point out far more than  most of us could even know. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Must suspend disbelief….

Iceman didn’t look sick enough or near death…

:)

When does this come out on DVD… there must be a ton of lines I need to memorize…

Best regards,

-a-

I bought it on YouTube about 2 months ago. I’ve watched it several times and the dogfight scenes even more times with my son. He really enjoys it even though he doesn’t like flying in the real plane. I think it was $25 to buy the movie. 

• Thanks 1

Why all the air to air training for a bombing mission?

Why pop flares for radar missiles?  Why not just say they were IR missiles?

Use the Force Maverick........

Hmm, is this not a remake of Star Wars attacking the Death Star?  Which is a remake of 633 Squadron attacking the rocket fuel plant, which is a remake of Dam Busters.

The best I can say is, it was not as bad as I expected.  But I will not be watching it over and over.

Oh, and what fighter pilot is going to bet PUSH UPS??????

• Haha 1

Why spoil a brilliant film with all these technicalities :D I think Hollywood forgot how to make action movies but Tom Cruise made a brilliant piece ! the film should have been 5h long of “pilot s**t”, 2h is not enough :lol:

Next time when Sukhoi pulls the cobra in front of F14 nose, gun it: don’t say “what the f*** was that” :lol: that super manoeuvre is likely to sell fighters in airshows, in real life Cobra: 0 - 1: Missile 

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ibra said:

Why spoil a brilliant film with all these technicalities :D I think Hollywood forgot how to make action movies but Tom Cruise made a brilliant piece ! the film should have been 5h long of “pilot s**t”, 2h is not enough :lol:

Next time when Sukhoi pulls the cobra in front of F14 nose, gun it: don’t say “what the f*** was that” :lol: that super manoeuvre is likely to sell fighters in airshows, in real life Cobra: 0 - 1: Missile 

That would have been too funny to see maverick switch to guns and shoot that sukhoi down in the middle of that cobra maneuver but then critics would be complaining they copied that scene plot from Indiana jones in the temple of doom when the enemy brought a machete to a gun fight. 

• Haha 2

Saw it on at the movies, first movie I actually went to in almost 10 years. I enjoyed every minute of it. Yes like the first of you’re a aviation geek and pilot there are a lot of inaccuracies. 

But to sit back and escape the real world for a brief time with loud jets, a wink to memoirs and a P-51 flying in the sunset.  Count me in

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Pinecone said:

Why pop flares for radar missiles?  Why not just say they were IR missiles?

I'm not sure about the E & F versions, but the legacy Hornets had a big red countermeasure "slap switch" on the wall next to the left hand that would run a fixed program that included both chaff & flares. 

On 11/6/2022 at 10:18 AM, bluehighwayflyer said:

Ha!  I’ve enjoyed the commentary on this.  I liked the movie even better than the first one, personally.  If you know anything about any subject matter you have to suspend your disbelief on it the minute you walk into the theater.  

I read that when the director of Top Gun Maverick was questioned by a fighter weapons school graduate about the accuracy of something he responded that he makes movies about fighter pilots; not for them.  

This is similar to the principle they followed with the first Top Gun. It had so many inconsistencies that weren't even close to reality. If you get the chance, watch the first one with the Director Commentary. It is basically watching the whole movie with the director and advisors making comments throughout. They point out the inconsistencies themselves, but then follow it up with something like " but Mom and Pop in Oklahoma don't know or care." It is entertainment.

21 hours ago, carusoam said:

Must suspend disbelief….

Iceman didn’t look sick enough or near death…

:)

When does this come out on DVD… there must be a ton of lines I need to memorize…

Best regards,

-a-

It was available Monday the 31st.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

I'm not sure about the E & F versions, but the legacy Hornets had a big red countermeasure "slap switch" on the wall next to the left hand that would run a fixed program that included both chaff & flares. 

BUT, if they knew they were mainly dealing with radar missiles, they could load more chaff.

On the A-10, we had a button for each.  So could dispense just chaff, just flares, or both.  Individual or a program.

5 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

BUT, if they knew they were mainly dealing with radar missiles, they could load more chaff.

On the A-10, we had a button for each.  So could dispense just chaff, just flares, or both.  Individual or a program.

At least in the legacy Hornet, IIRC there's no switch for just dispense chaff or flares, it's one of the countermeasure programs or nothing.  Seems like that would get annoying in practice :) 

6 hours ago, Air pirate said:

Saw it on at the movies, first movie I actually went to in almost 10 years. I enjoyed every minute of it. Yes like the first of you’re a aviation geek and pilot there are a lot of inaccuracies. 

But to sit back and escape the real world for a brief time with loud jets, a wink to memoirs and a P-51 flying in the sunset.  Count me in

I agree , 100%. Was very fun, watched several times already . No probably not real world, but very fun no less. Thomas

• Like 2

• 5 months later...