Top Gun Maverick-not a mooney but I’ll let that slide.

My friend with the T33 did the air show at El Centro about 15 years ago. The navy treated all the civilian pilots to a COD ride to an aircraft carrier off the coast of San Diego. He asked me to help him that weekend, but I was too busy…. I missed my free catapult ride. :(

1 hour ago, ilovecornfields said:

What about the pizza that gives you syphilis? 

You are going to die of COVID, you are going to die from sex! Where will it end?

As you can see from my picture, I take safety seriously now..

Actually that suit is to keep me off the product...

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ilovecornfields said:

What about the pizza that gives you syphilis? 

That is why we have professionals like you To cure us of the after effects of pizza and sex. You make money, buy an airplane. It's like the circle of life....

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Nuclear or diesel?

Does it matter? You can't buy fuel for one, and can't afford to fill up the other.

Then again, think of the discount you would get when you bought avgas!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 12:26 PM, toto said:

You can definitely buy surplus military jets, but I haven’t yet seen a surplus aircraft carrier for sale :)

The Chinese bought one of two old soviet carriers that was under construction when the USSR was dissolved, albeit it's the ramp kind and not catapult equipped. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_aircraft_carrier_Liaoning

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 10:25 AM, Hank said:

Cruise paid the Navy $11,000 an hour for flight time, the actors sat in the back seats with firm instructions to touch nothing! Still makes for a better movie--I want to see it on a big screen, but IMAX is too far away.

I drove ninety minutes Sunday to see it on an IMAX screen.  First time viewing it.

totally worth it.

but should I worry that during the opening flight deck scene, with Danger Zone blasting through the IMAX speakers, I was thinking “nice, but needs to be a little more intense”?

Edited by LBM
  • Like 1

I watched it on Sunday. There were so many technical errors they were hard to count. But as my wife likes to say "just enjoy the pretty pictures".

A couple of glaring errors: 

A centrifuge enrichment plant doesn't have a reactor. (well one in France did just to power the plant)

The enrichment plant would need to run for many months to produce anything usable, so there would be no urgency.

Whenever the pilots want to increase power a little bit they SLAM the throttle forward!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've worked on Tomahawk missiles and maybe know too much about them. They could have easily flown those profiles except they wouldn't need to do the high G climb out. Why would you send piloted airplanes on that mission when a nice cruise missile would do? You could send a bunch of MALDs in to confuse the anti aircraft batteries. I'm pretty sure you could have told the Tomahawk which louver on the vent to hit. besides when does a steady state climb pull any Gs? Sure the pullout at the bottom of the bombing run, but they didn't start grunting until they were stable in the climb.

Also, having the lead plane paint the target with a laser designator, makes no sense. For a laser designator to work it has to paint the target until the bomb hits the target. That plane was long gone when the bomber got there.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

26 minutes ago, kortopates said:

In San Diego? Interesting, i worked on the follow on ACM program. Probably at the same location by Lindbergh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, in Tucson. AF plant 42 AKA Raytheon Missile Systems. Although most go to the Navy.

10 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I've worked on Tomahawk missiles and maybe know too much about them. They could have easily flown those profiles except they wouldn't need to do the high G climb out. Why would you send piloted airplanes on that mission when a nice cruise missile would do? You could send a bunch of MALDs in to confuse the anti aircraft batteries. I'm pretty sure you could have told the Tomahawk which louver on the vent to hit. besides when does a steady state climb pull any Gs? Sure the pullout at the bottom of the bombing run, but they didn't start grunting until they were stable in the climb.

Also, having the lead plane paint the target with a laser designator, makes no sense. For a laser designator to work it has to paint the target until the bomb hits the target. That plane was long gone when the bomber got there.

Dude, you need to stay home and watch well researched documentaries!:D  Clearly, entertainment movies are not your thing!

• Like 1