Top Gun Maverick-not a mooney but I’ll let that slide.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:52 PM, Will.iam said:

Definitely worth it to go see it. What a sequel should be able to stand on it’s own.  Script was great and acting was great too. 
very well done. 

If it’s anything like the first one, I wouldn’t bother <_<

11 hours ago, 201er said:

If it’s anything like the first one, I wouldn’t bother <_<

Some movies don’t age well, it was very good when it came out, less so when i watched it over again a few weeks ago. 
but the actors, music and tech are either your era or not so I get why you didn’t like the first one. 
I have heard nothing but good about the new one, and I appreciate cruise’s ability to shut up and act. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Schllc said:

Some movies don’t age well, it was very good when it came out, less so when i watched it over again a few weeks ago. 
but the actors, music and tech are either your era or not so I bet why you didn’t like the first one. 
I have heard nothing but good about the new one, and I appreciate cruise’s ability to shut up and act. 

In both cases, it’s a really simple, somewhat cheesy storyline, and if these movies didn’t have airplanes in them then they wouldn’t be worth a second look. 

The original movie was made with unprecedented cooperation from the US military, using real front-line fighters and very limited special effects. And even though CG has improved a ton since then, Cruise (now the de facto showrunner) insisted on using real military aircraft and live action shots again.

As an aviation nut, I appreciate the effort that goes into something like this, and there’s still something unusually good about watching flight sequences shot on real airplanes with real cameras. 

• Like 3

Cruise paid the Navy $11,000 an hour for flight time, the actors sat in the back seats with firm instructions to touch nothing! Still makes for a better movie--I want to see it on a big screen, but IMAX is too far away.

29 minutes ago, Hank said:

Cruise paid the Navy $11,000 an hour for flight time, the actors sat in the back seats with firm instructions to touch nothing! Still makes for a better movie--I want to see it on a big screen, but IMAX is too far away.

Huh!  I wonder if I could rent an F18 for $11k/hour?  I can't afford that - but I would do it in a heart beat!

My guess is that the Navy rightly sees this as a free recruiting video so the movie got special access.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Huh!  I wonder if I could rent an F18 for $11k/hour?  I can't afford that - but I would do it in a heart beat!

My guess is that the Navy rightly sees this as a free recruiting video so the movie got special access.

The first one was a recruiting bonanza, this on probably will be, too, if it's good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

the bargain price….

Probably need to purchase a minimum dozens of hours at a time….  :)

Memorial Day air show has a few jets flying along the south beach of Long Island this weekend…

Millions of Eyeballs following along….

Go Military Aviators, and the young wannabes..!

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

All I can afford is 2 minutes.

Maybe I can buy a launch off a steam catapult at high seas?

You can definitely buy surplus military jets, but I haven’t yet seen a surplus aircraft carrier for sale :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I haven’t seen an F-18 anywhere in the US that civilians can fly - but you might be able to grease some palms with this guy?

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32869/this-man-owns-the-worlds-most-advanced-private-air-force-after-buying-46-f-a-18-hornets

• Like 1

I've seen it twice and can honestly say it is MUCH better than the original - no screeching halt in the plot during the love scenes. Lots of action and generally a feel-good film! You will leave the theater feeling extremely happy and glad you spent the money to see this new version of Top Gun. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

All I can afford is 2 minutes.

Maybe I can buy a launch off a steam catapult at high seas?

The camera work in the air is really good in this one.   Not so much in the first one.     This is all I could afford.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1