Technical drawings

Does anyone have a source on technical schematics for metal work in the F model? Specifically my mechanic is trying to fabricate a landing gear bracket but the details in the IPC leave something to be desired. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Scott

N6847V

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Notice the failure point on the left end. Been chasing this part for 6 months now. Mooney keeps telling me they're working on it but can't provide an estimate for completion. PN 950099-001 b8b5de86390b7ac10d859af8234d8f9f.jpg

Interesting failure.

I am not sure what exactly are you looking for but chances of finding drawing of THAT part are virtually zero. As for possible repair, I would start with AC43.13 (Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices - Aircraft Inspection and Repair).

good luck.

Why not go to the second hand store for that?
That is not a common failure that I’m aware of….
Any idea what caused it?
For pre-flown parts…
[mention=7207]Alan Fox[/mention]
[mention=12721]Jerry Pressley[/mention]

-a-
Tried every salvage yard out there no one is willing to part with it. Our suspicion is that the gear was rigged incorrectly and it fatigued that bracket over time.

• Like 1

Did you try alan and Jerry?

They specifically have Mooney salvage….

If they don’T have it….

Try @SheryLoewen

The challenge is probably…. Nobody ever needs that part to be replaced…. So people aren’t storing it to sell somewhere off in the future…

There are enough parts planes around here… somebody has one….

Best regards,

-a-

The manuals won’t say what the material is.  Have you contacted tech support at Mooney?  They may share the alloy if they are unable to build you the part you need.

Clarence

The manuals won’t say what the material is.  Have you contacted tech support at Mooney?  They may share the alloy if they are unable to build you the part you need.
Clarence
I sent them an email and have yet to get a response...I imagine it isn't much more than a skeleton crew down there.

It's difficult to see what you're referring to, here.  Why not remove the part and do some further investigation as to the failure.  Mooney produced that part utilizing typical aircraft means. methods & materials.   We are all suffering thru the COVID why work when work doesn't pay better than sitting at home thing.   Took me 6 months to get a case OH'd.

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

If the factory isn’t responsive, a DER should be able to design a repair.  That structure is probably drilled on-assembly during manufacture, pre CAD/CAM, which would further complicate the installation of a used piece.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jetdriver said:

I have been talking with David, thanks.  I would say the odds of all the holes lining up are probably close to zero given the hand made nature of our planes, however we should be able to modify it to fit somehow.

You might be surprised on parts like this. Many others are like you say, not close.

David

Edited by Sabremech

3 hours ago, Jetdriver said:

I have been talking with David, thanks.  I would say the odds of all the holes lining up are probably close to zero given the hand made nature of our planes, however we should be able to modify it to fit somehow.

If the holes make it unusable, at least it will be a template to make a new one that can be drilled as needed.

Remove the part, send it off, using electrical conductivity will determine the alloy, a Rockwell hardness test will determine the level of heat treat. The test equipment is simple and widely available, the tester to determine alloy looked like a multimeter, nothing super special

Armed with that data you can have a sheet metal guy fab an owner produced part or the fab the part as part of a repair.

Ideally Mooney could supply the drawing, we used to and stamp the drawing with some kind of legal statement, don’t remember what it said, but we sent so many drawings out to help people fab parts we had a stamp made.

If it’s a high heat treat level of course you may have to fab it from O material and send if off for heat treat

Edited by A64Pilot

46 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

What is O material?

I’m sorry heat treat level is annotated by a number T3 of T6 are common, higher heat treat is the higher number, heat treat makes the metal brittle, so if you tried to make sharp bends it would crack or put stresses in the bend that would make the part fail later.

So you make the part from annealed or soft un heat treated material and have it heat treated after forming, the soft material is O or zero level of hardness, real soft and easy to make.

We heat treated in the plant with molten salt, we had a pool if you will about 5 ft across, 10 ft long and maybe 5 ft deep, we hung parts in this molten salt pool for a short interval and as soon as they came out dunked them in water, if we wanted to delay the heat treat we put them directly in a freezer. 

We would press parts like ribs for instance then heat treat them, heat treat makes the part stronger.

How it’s made did a film on us that shows the process if your curious.

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 5:56 PM, Jetdriver said:

Bracket has been removed and ready to come your way.

David

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

How did the used part work out? Did the holes line up? I may be searching for the same bracket. Has not failed but have found the 3 bolt holes in that bracket that hold the lug have elongated and the bracket on the other side of the lug is cracked. So hopefully avoiding the failure you have experienced!