Whats the shortest strip you will land at?

Niko182

Whats the shortest strip you will land at?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Shortest strip you would land the mooney at? (ft)

• < 4000
    • < 3000
    • < 2500
    • < 2000
    • < 1500
    • < 1000

17 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Harris Ranch, CO8, CA is 30 feet wide [no taxiway].  That one keeps you quite honest!!  Super yummy restaurant [Harris Ranch beef!] and destination motel w/ wonderful pool too! 

memories, before getting my ppl, I installed a bunch of weigh/price/labeling equipment in that Harris ranch plant. 

Really hope to one day fly in for lunch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 201er said:

I voted under 2000 cause I've done some 1950ft runways. But the plane has to be light and the approaches have to be clear. I think I could consider something like 1600ft of pavement if there's endless space on both ends for safety factor. But most of the time, there's not so you need extra runway for safety margin.

Here's landing at Braden with 1950ft:

Also flew into Andover Aeroflex, similar length, recently with @carusoam for some practice and credit in the 99s challenge.

But realistically, anything under 3000ft needs to be deliberate and planned. Not doing something that short spur of the moment.

Excellent!  I see on the white strips near the end, some little black marks where others got a little excited as the grass begins to appear!!! :lol:

2 hours ago, donkaye said:

A proficient long body pilot should easily be able to handle a runway such as L52, Oceano, California at 2,325 x 50.  L18, Fallbrook, at 2,160 is barely doable with an Ovation.  I have landed a 231 at Carmel Valley at 1,800 when it still existed.  It had a long lead in and I wouldn't do it again.  The short bodies such as the M20C can land as short as a C150.  The maximum direct crosswind component I've landed my Bravo in has been 35 knots with no flaps and a touchdown speed of about 105 knots.  The runway length at San Jose at that time was 4,500 feet.  The runway was at sea level.  Strong crosswinds require long runways.  The narrowest runway I've landed at has been 45G, Brighton, Michigan. It was plenty long at 3,105, but its approach was over some tall trees and its width is 24 feet.

032.JPG

45G.JPG

45G is my home airport.  We have at least three Mooneys on the field.  Basically, we have a grass runway with a paved centerline.  

• Haha 1

55S, Packwood, Washington.............. 2356 x 35 feet.  Flying my F model, swooped down into the airport from Goat Rocks Area [surrounding elevations 12,500-14,800] sevral years ago!  Big, tall trees about 80 feet to the right of centerline, just off 19 departure end.  Spectacular views including Mt. Rainer and Mt. Adams.  Flew out of Hood River, OR.  The Gorge, Columbia River area.............one of the most beautiful places to fly!  Wish I could add a photo. :(

3 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Other than extra weight, what makes the difference between the short and long bodies? All the Mooneys have the same wing.

Well, all that extra weight on the same wing can only mean higher takeoff and landing speeds. Higher speeds require longer runway. 

8 minutes ago, 201er said:

Well, all that extra weight on the same wing can only mean higher takeoff and landing speeds. Higher speeds require longer runway. 

I guess im just curious what makes a short body at gross weight and a light long body different.

I put <1500 because that’s about my threshold. However, the answer changes with temp and mission. I know that I can consistently get it down and stopped in under 800’. But that’s on day with mild temps and an airplane that’s >700lbs under gross.so if the goal is to stuff it into a short strip, I can plan for that. For gross weight ops I prefer 2500’ or more. A true short field landing is uncomfortable for passengers. It involves constant energy management, lots of minor throttle and pitch adjustment until a high round out at which point (if I’ve done things correctly) the remainder of the approach is a steep power off descent to the threshold just above stall. When I get to speeds right, I run out of elevator travel just as the main touch. There is no float in and the salt Horn will make his presence known a number of times during the approach.  Not something I wish to subject passengers. I’ve had pilot rated passengers “Pucker up”during short field landings. I probably would too as a spectator.

12 minutes ago, 201er said:

What you say is true, but there are useable weights where long and mid bodies intersect.

• Like 1

Oceano is probably the shortest field I've been to, and agree with others that there was plenty of room. By contrast, I recently flew into Garberville, CA (O16). Despite being about 500' longer (2783), and not much above sea level, it felt way smaller because of rising terrain all around. Oceano is in a big, wide open space. Garberville felt like it was inside of a bowl.

7 minutes ago, sleeper-319 said:

Oceano is probably the shortest field I've been to, and agree with others that there was plenty of room. By contrast, I recently flew into Garberville, CA (O16). Despite being about 500' longer (2783), and not much above sea level, it felt way smaller because of rising terrain all around. Oceano is in a big, wide open space. Garberville felt like it was inside of a bowl.

For me, yes, surroundings can make a mental difference, if I let it.  I always tried to keep in mind, it's just a runway.  Follow pattern altitudes, correct decent angles and speeds and all will be fine.  Of course, variables such as wind, turbulence, load weight, temperatures, noted obstacles..........obviously all need to be accounted for.

Contrast visuals come to mind, such as Catalina vs. something like Packwood or Harris Ranch, etc.   Oh yes, night approaches too!  :huh:

I learned to fly my J at N73 which is 2880' x 50'. Threshold was displaced for 23 so as I recall length was 2500ish. Shortest runway for me was 12N (Aeroflex-Andover) which is 1981' x 50' with ponds at both ends. I could get the airplane stopped by 1500'. These days, after flying from my home base Class C. Those little runways seem even shorter.

Lightly loaded J into the "expanded" Mathis airport in Cumming, GA.  1800' - but uphill for arrival and downhill or departure.  Width was much more interesting than length. It was 35' after the expansion from 1500 to 1800.  Airport closed ~2014

4 hours ago, Mooney Dog said:

My nearest searches have been when i have to divert for fuel, not for actual emergencies which at that point i dont care, the insurance owns the plane. 

Very few of us have used NRST button to search for an emergency runway, but that is one of its primary functions. 

For me, it is not about insurance or saving the plane.  My survival rate increases when landing at a short grass strip over a roadway, forest, plowed fields, etc.  

-dan

just did a quick measure of kdwh,  if google/bing is anywhere near accurate.  say a few hundred feet.

then i'm normally landing and taking off in 1000 to 1500 feet of runway. 

when landing 17R,  i'm normally be able to exit by the Delta Taxiway.  don't actually do this, you'll need a propstrike inspection.

when taking off, the plane generally leaves the runway around the 1000 footers.

Admitted, using 1000 feet of a 7000ft runway is way different psychology then if it was 1000 to 1500ft.

Kelleys Island, 89D.  2200 feet, I'll land it without reservation.  The times I've been in I came in from the lake, which is unoccluded.  I swore I'd never come in the other way over the trees until I saw a girl do it in her Bo on Youtube.  The girl is a CFI, but still a girl.  if she can do it in a Bo I can do it in a Mooney.

Sometimes I hate being me.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shadrach said:

What you say is true, but there are useable weights where long and mid bodies intersect.

Are they?

I have an F but I believe MTOW of M20C is around 2550lb (I'm sure I'll get corrected)... What is the Empty weight of long bodies? Then you add a pilot and some fuel and I bet it's over that.

1 minute ago, Igor_U said:

Are they?

I have an F but I believe MTOW of M20C is around 2550lb (I'm sure I'll get corrected)... What is the Empty weight of long bodies? Then you add a pilot and some fuel and I bet it's over that.

I said mid and Long bodies intersect. Long and short bodies are a bridge too far.  A light long body is like a Mid body at or near MGW (2740lbs)

3 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

Are they?

My empty weight is 2151. Relatively light for a long body. Ive taken my long body into a 1375 foot strip. Used a tad bit more than half the runway.

True.

I should read post more carefully

2 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I said mid and Long bodies intersect. Long and short bodies are a bridge too far.  A light long body is like a Mid body at or near MGW (2740lbs)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, McMooney said:

Delta Taxiway.  don't actually do this, you'll need a propstrike inspection.

That little bump on echo scares the you know what out of me every time i land on the big runway! 

I know from doing it i can land 17L and get off on H having slowed down enough well before. Its just not very fun. 

They really need to fix those taxi ways and lights, and if they'd clean up the gravel around the hangars it would be nice too!

8 hours ago, Mooney Dog said:

That little bump on echo scares the you know what out of me every time i land on the big runway! 

I know from doing it i can land 17L and get off on H having slowed down enough well before. Its just not very fun. 

They really need to fix those taxi ways and lights, and if they'd clean up the gravel around the hangars it would be nice too!

yeah, that dip at E will absolutely get your attention.  I believe they are slowly fixing things, kinda tired of having my prop filed every annual