They coming for us all - Digital ID carbon rationing

Sounded to me to be some kind of app, not anything notorious, yet.

But to be honest, to some extent there is logic to some form of control over at least how much fuel your allowed to consume. I know that’s a bold statement but think about it.

Think about water, I own some land that a river flows through, am I allowed to dam the river and keep, all of the water for myself? Why not, I own the land and can afford the dam? How about I live in an area where water conservation rules are in effect, can I drill my own well and have my fancy fountains and water my lawn daily? Why not, it’s my land and my well. Those of course have happened and almost everyone seems to agree with your not allowed to, seems obvious to most that just because your wealthy that your not allowed to consume all of a limited resource that you desire.

I think it’s a reality that our kids may face, this energy rationing thing, it may start out something like you get xxx KWH of energy from fossil for x money then above that the price goes up in a tiered system, or who knows, maybe your allowed just xxx amount of energy. 

It will be interesting, because from what I’ve seen the ones running around crying, the carbon, the carbon are the highest consumers, I guess they would be exempt?

Or we solve the problem by whatever means necessary, I don’t know maybe Fusion or whatever it takes. I believe we can become much more efficient without any lifestyle changes until we solve the supply issue.

I believe in technology, I believe it’s solvable, we just have to want to solve it. But to become more efficient just seems logical to me.

• Like 1

We live on a planet with finite resources.  Modern man (post industrial revolution) has been at it what, a couple three hundred years, and we are already seeing the effects of unrestrained growth and consumption.  This is just the beginning.  Technological advances will lead to more growth and consumption, but advances in recycling of our  finite resources using a sustainable energy source will mitigate their losses.  Natural ecosystems will continue to recede as mankind's numbers continue to increase.  Barring some catastrophic event(s) of drastic population collapse, at some point, personal rationing is inevitable.  Market forces to provide that rationing will eventually lead  to popular uprisings as have happened before.  The "have nots" will only suffer for so long.  Governmental controls will require world wide cooperation; a crap shoot at best.

The solution: fiik.  I'm not optimistic for man's long term survival.  I believe the world itself will last billions of years longer than us. Though I did once see a solution expressed on a bumper sticker of all places.  It's admittedly a tough choice, but would provide an unequivocal solution.

SAVE THE PLANET KILL YOURSELF

Have a nice day.  jb

21 hours ago, Jocbay said:

We live on a planet with finite resources.  Modern man (post industrial revolution) has been at it what, a couple three hundred years, and we are already seeing the effects of unrestrained growth and consumption.  This is just the beginning.  Technological advances will lead to more growth and consumption, but advances in recycling of our  finite resources using a sustainable energy source will mitigate their losses.  Natural ecosystems will continue to recede as mankind's numbers continue to increase.  Barring some catastrophic event(s) of drastic population collapse, at some point, personal rationing is inevitable.  Market forces to provide that rationing will eventually lead  to popular uprisings as have happened before.  The "have nots" will only suffer for so long.  Governmental controls will require world wide cooperation; a crap shoot at best.

The solution: fiik.  I'm not optimistic for man's long term survival.  I believe the world itself will last billions of years longer than us. Though I did once see a solution expressed on a bumper sticker of all places.  It's admittedly a tough choice, but would provide an unequivocal solution.

SAVE THE PLANET KILL YOURSELF

Have a nice day.  jb

So Paul Ehrlich in 1968 wrote "The Population Bomb" and predicted world wide famine by 1980. At the time corn yield was 47 bushels/acre. Now if you are not producing 180, you're a piker and we produce it with less water and fertilizer than 1968. Now we actually have farm land lying fallow. 

Al Gore said in 2006 that the earth would be "on fire" in 10 years

How is all that gloom and doom working out for the prognosticators of disaster? 

Oh, and the sound barrier is impenetrable..(A little aviation to keep it real)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

So Paul Ehrlich in 1968 wrote "The Population Bomb" and predicted world wide famine by 1980. At the time corn yield was 47 bushels/acre. Now if you are not producing 180, you're a piker and we produce it with less water and fertilizer than 1968. Now we actually have farm land lying fallow. 

Al Gore said in 2006 that the earth would be "on fire" in 10 years

How is all that gloom and doom working out for the prognosticators of disaster? 

Oh, and the sound barrier is impenetrable..(A little aviation to keep it real)

There was one other to go along with the population bomb that had me real concerned as a kid, because it seemed to be undeniable logic. Trying to remember what it was, but back then we were more concerned with recycling and waste than it seems we are now, back then straws were paper and a hamburger was wrapped in paper, today the straws are plastic and the hamburger in a styrofoam box, cerial and crackers came in waxed paper bags, today plastic.

In the 70’s there was a lot of discussions that we were entering another ice age, and the car advertisements of the time talked about how the new cars only emitted “harmless CO2” and water. We were also supposed to be in Global warfare over water before the turn of the Century.

It seems that the doomsday predictions change frequently, but there are always doomsday predictions.

However what was interesting from that time frame was the “Rat Utopia” experiment, there have been attempts to discredit it of course, but I think a lot of it’s valid and you see it in heavily populated Urban areas. AKA behavioral sink. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-mouse-utopias-1960s-led-grim-predictions-humans-180954423/

I find the “beautiful ones” particularly interesting

For those concerned about population, I believe pretty much the entire first world countries are actually decreasing in population 

For those wanting Moderation, is off topic conversations bad so long as they are respectful and polite? I do agree on no politics or religion because it seems it’s just not possible to keep those discussions polite and nice.

Edited by A64Pilot