Using a callsign

32 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

I tried to change my aircraft id in my garmin 345 and the option is locked. How hard is it to get it change so that i can change my flight id?

It has to be enabled in configuration mode. A Garmin dealer can do it.

Hold down the ENT key and press the ON key to access the configuration pages. The FUNC key sequences forward through the configuration pages. The CLR key reverses through the pages. The 8 or 9 key scrolls up or down through the items on each configuration page. The CRSR key highlights selectable fields on each page. When a field is highlighted, the 0 – 9 keys enter numeric data and the 8 or 9 keys move through list selections. Press the ENT key to accept changes. When a field is highlighted, pressing the FUNC key moves to the next configuration page without saving the changes. Changes made through the configuration pages are stored in EEPROM memory. To exit the configuration pages, reset the system power for normal mode.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

Apparently there's even different levels of approval.   One of the local flight schools initially got approved for call sign use at their home airport, and then later for everything beyond that.   

Since 1965 the now former Rockwell plant in Albany Ga. have used “Toughbird” call signs, I was Toughbird 23 as my Military call sign was 23.

All the aircraft I test flew had the same N number too, 29A. Only restriction is we couldn’t have more than one 29A in the air at the same time.

we have a feed on a video screen at out airport which pulls data to show what airplanes are taking off and landing. I know someone with a FFID/PIA combo. What we see is an unrelated N-Number. 
Makes sense that something shows up. One purpose of TIS-B is to see other traffic so something has to. If we can see it it can be tracked. And if someone works in it, I guess they can find out what airplane is associated with the munged N-Number. 

All someone has to do is wait for the interested party to land and then look at ADSB exchange site. Anytime Buffet, Musk, etc go somewhere it’s publicly known. It’s not that hard to do.
I understand the security concerns for the super wealthy…their best option is Netjets, but then you don’t have your own plane, which are probably customized with beds, etc that Netjets don’t have.

6 hours ago, PT20J said:

It has to be enabled in configuration mode. A Garmin dealer can do it.

Hold down the ENT key and press the ON key to access the configuration pages. The FUNC key sequences forward through the configuration pages. The CLR key reverses through the pages. The 8 or 9 key scrolls up or down through the items on each configuration page. The CRSR key highlights selectable fields on each page. When a field is highlighted, the 0 – 9 keys enter numeric data and the 8 or 9 keys move through list selections. Press the ENT key to accept changes. When a field is highlighted, pressing the FUNC key moves to the next configuration page without saving the changes. Changes made through the configuration pages are stored in EEPROM memory. To exit the configuration pages, reset the system power for normal mode.

Wow this was exactly what i needed! You’re awesome, took me 2 mins to find the flight ID field and change it from no to yes. Took pictures of all the other settings in case in the future something happens like i need to swap unit for a new one i will already have all the configuration fields saved. 
thanks so much for the info!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Anytime Buffet, Musk, etc go somewhere it’s publicly known. It’s not that hard to do.
I understand the security concerns for the super wealthy…their best option is Netjets, but then you don’t have your own plane, which are probably customized with beds, etc that Netjets don’t have.

Warren Buffett does use NetJets. He bought NetJets 24 years ago.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/19/2022 at 3:15 PM, ilovecornfields said:

So, I’ve heard more people on the radio using a “Foreflight” callsign so after eating my high fiber cereal I did some “research” and was happy to find that my ridiculously expensive Foreflight subscription (even with the 30% off with SAFE or NAFI) includes it. All I had to do was email them and fill out a form and two days later they sent me my very own callsign. Apparently the FAA also has a program so I can get a new ADS-B code to put in my transponder and then I’ll be totally anonymous to those bored souls who would actually care to track me.

I figured out how to program my transponder with the new callsign and how to file it, so my only question is when can I use it? Is it only when I’m on an IFR flight plan or can I use it anytime VFR instead of my N number? 

The data is preliminary, but I think ATC is nicer to me now that I have a cool callsign. Now I just have to get a Nomex flight suit to go with it and start flying formation with some of the local RV pilots.

So in order to do this, I’d also need to change my registration in the transponder from my N number to the call sign?

1 hour ago, drifter001 said:

So in order to do this, I’d also need to change my registration in the transponder from my N number to the call sign?

Some ADS-B xponders have a function to enter and use a temporary callsign specifically for this.  I used it on my KT-74 when I flew Angel Flights

Edited by jaylw314

21 minutes ago, drifter001 said:

Pretty sure it’s implied but I’ll ask anyways. So if I fly VFR without using the call sign, I’d have to change my transponder to reflect the N- number instead if the call sign right?

You can always use your call sign. Even VFR or without a flight plan/flight following. I don’t go back and forth because I would have to reprogram my transponder and ADS-B IN each time so they I don’t get traffic alerts constantly because of “ownship” recognition.

You basically just replace your N-number with the call sign. Although every once in a while the ground controller at my home airport gets confused and still calls me by my N-number which is fine.

Edit: To answer your question more directly, if you fly VFR using your N-number then you do have to reprogram your transponder. If you fly VFR using your call sign you don’t have to reprogram anything.

15 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

You can always use your call sign. Even VFR or without a flight plan/flight following. I don’t go back and forth because I would have to reprogram my transponder and ADS-B IN each time so they I don’t get traffic alerts constantly because of “ownship” recognition.

You basically just replace your N-number with the call sign. Although every once in a while the ground controller at my home airport gets confused and still calls me by my N-number which is fine.

Edit: To answer your question more directly, if you fly VFR using your N-number then you do have to reprogram your transponder. If you fly VFR using your call sign you don’t have to reprogram anything.

How are you liking your callsign setup so far?  Have you checked ADSB Exchange?

3 minutes ago, The Other Red Baron said:

How are you liking your callsign setup so far?  Have you checked ADSB Exchange?

Once I got the bugs worked out I started to really like it. The FAA basically gives you a “fake” N-number which is linked to your call sign so this is what you transmit. The only issue I had was getting the GDL88D to recognize the new n-number as my own airplane which had to do with different ways to input the ICAO address and I had to figure out how to convert the hex code to the format the GDL88 could understand.

I don’t use ADS-B exchange but since there’s nothing on my plane that sends out my “real” N-number I assume it would just pick up the “fake” N-number. I guess someone could still track me this way if they were really bored but I don’t think the registration on the fake number would be linked to me publicly.

I really just did it as an experiment. I basically just fly to and from work and don’t do anything exciting in my plane but I was curious how the process worked. Subjectively, it seems like ATC does treat you more professionally with the call sign but maybe I’m just imagining that. 

• Like 1

I just got mine approved “FAT 1”.

I’m curious why this level anonymity is important to you guys? Afraid someone will see you flying while you should be working? Gives the mother-in-law time to work on her quips before your arrival? Let’s your neighbors know when it is safe to break into your house (in that case, probably best not to post “I’m in Cancun” on Facebook)? Or am I in the midst of a bunch of billionaires and celebrities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Once I got the bugs worked out I started to really like it. The FAA basically gives you a “fake” N-number which is linked to your call sign so this is what you transmit. The only issue I had was getting the GDL88D to recognize the new n-number as my own airplane which had to do with different ways to input the ICAO address and I had to figure out how to convert the hex code to the format the GDL88 could understand.

I don’t use ADS-B exchange but since there’s nothing on my plane that sends out my “real” N-number I assume it would just pick up the “fake” N-number. I guess someone could still track me this way if they were really bored but I don’t think the registration on the fake number would be linked to me publicly.

I really just did it as an experiment. I basically just fly to and from work and don’t do anything exciting in my plane but I was curious how the process worked. Subjectively, it seems like ATC does treat you more professionally with the call sign but maybe I’m just imagining that. 

Hey that's pretty cool, do you have a link to applying for a call sign?  Everybody complains about how my N number is too hard to say :D

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I just got mine approved “FAT 1”. emoji1787.png

I’m curious why this level anonymity is important to you guys? Afraid someone will see you flying while you should be working? Gives the mother-in-law time to work on her quips before your arrival? Let’s your neighbors know when it is safe to break into your house (in that case, probably best not to post “I’m in Cancun” on Facebook)? Or am I in the midst of a bunch of billionaires and celebrities? emoji13.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great question. I think to some people feeling like you have more privacy is important. To others, it isn’t. It seems there was a huge backlash and a lot of conspiracy theories over the amount of information that was publicly available about airplanes and owners, especially with the ADS-B out requirement. For example, someone could google your tail number while having coffee at the airport cafe, find out who you are, then ask you embarrassing questions or try to use the information from a quick internet search to scam you somehow. The rest us aren’t that important and don’t care.

I just did it to try it out because it was free and seemed interesting. Then I didn’t change it back because it was a pain to reconfigure everything and it didn’t bother me. 

@jaylw314, I got my callsign through ForeFlight but there are various ways to get one. You just have to go through someone who has set it up with the FAA.

https://foreflight.com/support/call-signs/

https://flttrack.fltplan.com/FltPlanInfo/DCMCallSigns.htm

• Thanks 1