Looking for Acclaim LH Main gear door

M20TN_Driver

Hi folks.  I know this is going to be a long shot, but I have called many savage yards without any luck so I figured I would give MS a try:  I had a hing give way in flight--the result is a badly damaged main gear door that needs to be replaced.  I am not sure what they are called, but the little "U" shaped deals that are mounted to the outboard inside of the wheel well cracked.  I have topgun out here in Stockton trying to reach Mooney about sourcing a new door.  I am wondering if any of you might have or know of anyone/anywhere I can get my hands on the required parts?  All help appreciated.

IMG_9807.jpg

IMG_9800.JPG

It failed in flight--from the look of the U hinge, it almost appears as thought it was a defect in casting.  The metal split down the center--it didn't simply break off.  It actually cracked along a line down the center of the casting.  It had a good deal of rust on it, so clearly had been failing long before I took ownership a few years ago.  We don't get rust or corrosion here in NV.

29 minutes ago, M20TN_Driver said:

It failed in flight--from the look of the U hinge, it almost appears as thought it was a defect in casting.  The metal split down the center--it didn't simply break off.  It actually cracked along a line down the center of the casting.  It had a good deal of rust on it, so clearly had been failing long before I took ownership a few years ago.  We don't get rust or corrosion here in NV.

Is that an Acclaim-specific part or was it used on Bravos and Ovations? If you can come up with a part number that will help.

Glad you sourced one, but I'll endorse Don Maxwell's shop... His sheet metal guru made that door for my J 4 years ago from scratch for far less than the factory price. It is a great option with the factory hit-or-miss lately.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 11:06 AM, M20TN_Driver said:

That is how I was looking at it. Didn't look line a shear or blunt tear, to me. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I've worked with Don in the past and in fact, Paul said to ship the door to them and they'd fix it.  I preferred a new one if I could find one and it worked out great.  This is an awesome forum and I am appreciative of the support!