Reached Attachment Limit

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The site says I've reached my attachment limit. I have tried to cull some of the useless images I've posted but can't figure out how to delete them.

Our forum has very little storage space.  Part of that is because the forum is free for most, but storage isn't.  Your excess attachments will probably be auto-deleted soon.

Sounds like we need a feature "yield time (er...space) to the distinguished gentleman from Arizona." 

Would be nice to have a feature where you could list all of your attachments and be able to delete unused or unnecessary ones in batch format like you're deleting emails from your in-basket.  Also be nice if this "tab" or screen had a percentage bar of where you were with your storage limit so you'd know if you needed to delete more.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Marc_B said:

Sounds like we need a feature "yield time (er...space) to the distinguished gentleman from Arizona." 

Or we could collect a small dues offering from everyone, and buy more storage.  I don't think it would take much -- storage is cheap (but not free).  This could also eliminate, or at least reduce, the incidence of lost pictures, documents, etc.  Some of these posts don't mean much without the associated documents.

6 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The problem is if it starts auto deleting, its going to delete important stuff. If it would let me selectively delete the worthless fluff, I would be glad to do it. 

When I post it has a statement I’m over limit, I clicked that statement and it took me to a page that showed me 10 pages of my attachments, so I deleted the last page and a half, the over limit message took awhile to go away, but it has gone away

Edited by A64Pilot

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

When I post it has a statement I’m over limit, I clicked that statement and it took me to a page that showed me 10 pages of my attachments, so I deleted the last page and a half, the over limit message took awhile to go away, but it has gone away

How did you delete them? I couldn’t find a delete option anywhere.

10 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

How did you delete them? I couldn’t find a delete option anywhere.

Forum says my attachment limit is 19.53MB. I currently have 219MB of attachments or 1118% of my allowance. Something has changed recently. 19.53 is not a lot of data. You can send more than that in a single email. If this limit remains the user experience will be diminished considerably. You’ve been here long enough that getting under 20MB probably means deleting 85% of your attachments which will likely remove them from the posts where they were used.

@A64Pilot did you check to see if deleting the attachments also deleted them from the posts in which they were inserted?  Many of the older threads I’ve searched have dead links where the attachments used to be. I would be happy to delete everything in my folder, but I think it would remove them completely from the forum. If we have to continually remove attachments to continue posting, this place will cease to be a true repository of Mooney info.

Edited by Shadrach

2 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Unless we all agree to part with a (very) few dollars per year to keep this priceless resource going.

I will become a supporter again, but I don’t think that is the current issue. If it were, I would never have been able to get to 1118% of the limit.

Edited by Shadrach

2 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I don’t think that is the current issue. If it were, I would never have been able to get to 1118% of the limit.

Yeah, not sure what that's about.  Somehow, you are "grandfathered" in before a limit was imposed.  I know there has been a fairly recent change of software and hosting site and, apparently, a change in available long-term storage.  I also know that in the very recent past, we permanently lost a large number of pics and documents in order to free up space.  I wasn't online when it happened, but apparently we were offline for a while because we ran out of space, and the admin had to dump enough stuff overboard to keep us afloat.

20 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Forum says my attachment limit is 19.53MB. I currently have 219MB of attachments or 1118% of my allowance. Something has changed recently. 19.53 is not a lot of data. You can send more than that in a single email. If this limit remains the user experience will be diminished considerably. You’ve been here long enough that getting under 20MB probably means deleting 85% of your attachments which will likely remove them from the posts where they were used.

@A64Pilot did you check to see if deleting the attachments also deleted them from the posts in which they were inserted?  Many of the older threads I’ve searched have dead links where the attachments used to be. I would be happy to delete everything in my folder, but I think it would remove them completely from the forum. If we have to continually remove attachments to continue posting, this place will cease to be a true repository of Mooney info.

No idea, above my pay grade.

My supposition is the forum owner has changed servers and the new server has a lower storage limit, probably upgradable for more $$$ of course, but I am NO computer guy, just guessing.

A few years ago a lot of the “free” photo storage programs started wanting money for you to use them for image hosting and now want money to continue to store your photos.

Photobucket has recently started sending me emails telling me if I don’t “upgrade” my membership they will delete my photos as an example. It would appear that a decision has been made to increase profits, and the “free” data storage was just bait and now the intent is to hold your family memories hostage for profit, Pay or they are gone :) 

If I were to guess and this is only pure speculation the switch may have been because the owner was being held hostage, you know pay us X or you lose your data that was once either free or part of the package you had.

But that’s wild speculation of course based on no facts

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fly Boomer said:

Yeah, not sure what that's about.  Somehow, you are "grandfathered" in before a limit was imposed.  I know there has been a fairly recent change of software and hosting site and, apparently, a change in available long-term storage.  I also know that in the very recent past, we permanently lost a large number of pics and documents in order to free up space.  I wasn't online when it happened, but apparently we were offline for a while because we ran out of space, and the admin had to dump enough stuff overboard to keep us afloat.

Yes, and Craig @mooniac58 deleted five years of image files. I’ve been under the impression that storage has been getting cheaper not more expensive but I guess I’m mistaken.

1 minute ago, Shadrach said:

I’ve been under the impression that storage has been getting cheaper not more expensive but I guess I’m mistaken.

No, you are absolutely correct.  The issue here is that storage is not free.  If we want storage, we have to pay.  Not much, but more than zero.

There is an option to add a photo from a url, but I would love to know what the secret is to making it work. I tried uploading a pic to google photos and getting the link to it, but when  I use that link it will not add it.

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

There is an option to add a photo from a url, but I would love to know what the secret is to making it work. I tried uploading a pic to google photos and getting the link to it, but when  I use that link it will not add it.

Can't help you attach from urls, but did see this just now:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Without additional memory…

1) I’m unable to re-orient pics…

2) Post and discuss savvy graphs, with notations….

3) Put circles around important parts of other’s pics….

The usual conversational helpers we typically have around here….

I don’t have enough of my own memory left to know if I have deleted a pic or just can’t find it….

:)

-a-