Recommended Whiskey Compass/PTT

LevelWing

I posted a few months ago that my plane had been broken into. I'm working to get it airworthy again and it needs a whiskey compass and a push to talk button for the radio. Looking for recommendations on both. The push to talk is meant to be temporary until I can have the wiring re-done but the compass obviously needs to stay in. Thanks.

SRS is good. I have a PAI-700 vertical card compass installed by the previous owner and I like it. Some vertical card compasses are sticky, but his one is trouble free after ten years and it compensated within 2 deg on a couple of headings and 0 degrees on most when I swung it after the panel upgrade.

There are lot's of pushbutton switches. To narrow it down, measure the hole diameter. Then search Newark, DigiKey, Mouser, etc. The smallest one is the the hardest to find and Mooney has used an Electroswitch  SA1RV20 with a SW53AA2 black cap. I believe it fits a #8 hole. More common are switches with a 0.250" dia hole. Mooney has used and ALCO MPE-108F in that case.

Skip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Get a SIRS unit. Available at Spruce

Sorry to hear about the break-in. 

I had one of the SIRS compasses in my previous plane and was quite impressed.  It was easy to read and much more stable than the typical whiskey compass. Lots of good options.  Here is a link to the SIRS:  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/sirs_compass2.php

Also, there are a few PTT buttons that you just plug into existing Mic plug and strap onto the yoke.  Simple option until you get yours fixed.  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/pa50tt.php

Bob

• Like 1

I have a regular Airpath compass and find it works well. Smaller profile than the vertical compass cards.  From what I understand the vertical compasses have small gears that have potential to get dust and sticky over the years which makes them not work as well down the line.  YMMV depending on conditions.  A good old whiskey compass can be refilled and repaired if it ever leaks and is fairly fool proof. 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/airpath_compass4.php

My compass is used more from a verification tool on the ground and straight and level.  How many people fly by compass these days?

I got tired of the cheap plastic mount breaking for the whiskey compass and replaced it with a dry vertical-card compass.    It was easy to install and very easy to swing/correct.   I was kind of torn between a SIRS and a dry and decided on the dry.    It's been great and I think is less likely to get damaged by passengers/maintainers.   The mount for the dry compass allows it to move around quite a bit.   The vertical card seems to be easiest to read as well.

• Like 1

Actually, PTT connects tip to ring on the mic jack circuit. The ring is at ground potential, but should only be grounded at the audio panel. If you connect the PTT to the airframe, it can cause a ground loop and introduce noise. 

14 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Actually, PTT connects tip to ring on the mic jack circuit. The ring is at ground potential, but should only be grounded at the audio panel. If you connect the PTT to the airframe, it can cause a ground loop and introduce noise. 

Just cause I haven't been a smart a$$ recently, PTT connects tip to sleeve, MIC audio is on the ring. 

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/micjack/mj1.jpg

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1