What Fuel level CEIS for M20J MSE 28V ?

Hello

I am installing G3X with all engine monitoring probes, and like your advice experience with CEIS fuel level probes,

my mooney is M20J MSE 1993 with 28V battery, and 2x standard fuel tanks of 32 gal each, total 64 gal,

when contacted CEIS they proposed 4x senders,

2x CC284022-0706-101/102 INBD LH/RH

2x CC284022-0707-101/102 OTBD LH/RH

I am not sure i will need 4x senders ? Are not 2x enough ?

Anybody has installed them and can share experience?

Thanks a lot in advance

Philip

You currently have four senders in your aircraft.  The airplane was type-certified and designed as such, so unfortunately, you can’t just reduce the number of senders needed…you don’t have an option here.

I’m installing my second set of CIES equipment in as many Ovations I’ve owned (I had CIES Serial Numbers 0001, through 0004 in my first Ovation) , and I continue to maintain that they should be standard equipment on every Mooney…regardless of year or model.  They simply are one of the best things you can add to any aircraft, and well-worth the money spent.  Scott has an amazing company that has been growing steadily through the years, and they take great pride and improve what they do every day.

If you’re ordering the GEA24 EIS option with your G3X, the best option is to order for “CIES Frequency”.  If you ever decide to change from the Garmin EIS to, say, an EDM900 or EDM930, you would only need to change EGT and CHT probes to match the new engine monitor.  The CIES senders stay as-is.

CIES is also a member of this forum, and may drop in to give a bit more guidance and context around the choice.

33 minutes ago, PeytonM said:

My CiES readings are 2 gallons high on both sides. Seems to be consistent as low as I’ve gone, down to about 1/4 full. I’m sure calibration was done, so do I need to go thru a complete recal?

If you want Scott to answer that you should quote him or ping him @fuellevel

My CiES readings are 2 gallons high on both sides. Seems to be consistent as low as I’ve gone, down to about 1/4 full. I’m sure calibration was done, so do I need to go thru a complete recal?

Yes, it may be because it was calibrated as it sits on the ground (tail low), I just live with it.

Upon discussion with my installer, I have a better understanding of the CiES senders. They are calibrated on-ground for in-flight  measurement of fuel levels and account for the in-flight attitude of the Mooney. Today I checked the levels in-flight using “Fuel Remaining” measured by fuel flow, and saw approx 1 gal difference compared to Fuel Remaining, hardly worth a recal.

The value of the CiES sensors is balancing the fuel levels.  I’ve managed to calibrate Fuel Remaining to <1% of actual fuel used. 

I wish the the EIS didn’t auto-reset Fuel Used at every flight. 

• 2 weeks later...