engine needed!

I'm looking for an replacement of an Conti TSIO-360-LB (1) T.C.E9CE. Ideally with ecaused and turbo charger. A factory rebuild is 6-9 month and I dealing with a damaged core since one of the connection rod produced a hole in the core.

Does anybody know a quicker source for buying an engine? 

Thanks Hendrik

You may want to call an overhaul shop. The crank, cam, fuel system, etc... may all still be salvageable. I dunno about out east, but here in the midwest we have Horizon Engines in Anoka, MN. Last winter they majored both TSIO-360 engines on my Seneca V (which I own in addition to an Ovation) and the whole process was about 4 months. One of the engines had a cracked case, and a new case from continental took about a week to get and was about $12k. They're not the cheapest shop, but the do good work and even with the case replacement I was still $15k less than a continental reman with a good core to send back. without a core you're probably looking at almost 100 grand for that factory reman. Plan on $65-$70k including the case, assuming your crank is salvageable. I had 70k I the left engine, and about 50k in the right. Another place to try is Airmark, in the past they frequently have engines in stock and do a lot of business with TSIO 360 continentals.

Sometimes  continental give you some core amnesty. I have a friend with a baron who ran it until the engine seized and threw a rod, and they gave them full core credit for a rebuilt engine from the factory.

• Like 1

I would still call AirPower and have them call the factory and ask them on your behalf. Sometimes they require you to get the rebuild instead of overhaul but with a cost of everything else it still may be cheaper that way.  

• Like 1

Hi Anthonie,

not my Mooney (gladly) but unfortunately the 231 of my friend in Germany. No airport in gliding distance. Safely on a field and beside the engine no other damage visible. The Mooney will be flown out with a helicopter next week to the closest shop (6 flying minute away). That's why I'm looking for an engine for my friend.

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6920.jpg

IMG_6893.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, flumag said:

Hi Anthonie,

not my Mooney (gladly) but unfortunately the 231 of my friend in Germany. No airport in gliding distance. Safely on a field and beside the engine no other damage visible. The Mooney will be flown out with a helicopter next week to the closest shop (6 flying minute away). That's why I'm looking for an engine for my friend.

Wow,

your friend did a great job of landing his plane. I'm sure all of us would love to hear more about it and also about moving the plane to the shop by helicopter, once its done. There was a MS member having similar experience and posted video, about 1y or 2 ago.

• Like 1

I recently had the desperate need for a replacement engine.  I called 15 engine shops and found one which was about to do an inspection on a new, old stock, pickled engine.  The seller had bought a kit plane and no longer wished to finish the project so I bought the "kit" and kept the engine.  

I have a TSIO360MB core that I've started taking apart.  The case and crank are the same, I could get these overhauled and you could use these to rebuild your broken engine?  

I'm sure regulations by country vary.  But if you had a mid or low time engine, you could replace these parts and a cylinder, and continue where you left off.  I've seen this done with a 200 hour engine, but obviously at some point it becomes worth overhauling.

Aerodon

There is an ad in Barnstormers - I don't know if it is a Continental but see below:

X2 TSIO-360-EB NEW 0 TIME BOTH • $70,000 • ATTENTION WHOLESALE BUYERS • Seneca X2 RT & LF TSIO-360-EB, O Timed and Crated for World Wide Shipping! Both Engines Matched Pair • Contact Peter Reese , Owner - located Carson City, NV 89705 United States  Telephone: 775-546-3139 • Posted May 20, 2022 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad

One thing I was wondering when looking over this advertisement was (assuming it is a Continental) whether the fact it is an EB would be an issue. Currently I have a '81 231 with the Merlin and Turbo-plus and thought about starting a new thread for converting the EB to whatever the latest that would work for my plane. I currently don't need an engine but my time will be coming. Since this ad has two available, assuming the conversion would be possible, perhaps we could purchase both and each have one. Thoughts?

The major parts are the same. The exhaust system/turbo arrangement is part of the engine specs, that's why there are so many different models. Put a -LB induction and exhaust on an -EB and you have the same engine. The fuel injection system may have a different suffix but that is just in the adjustments which will be done at overhaul.

Continental has a service letter for converting one model to another.

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/17/2022 at 11:37 PM, flumag said:

Hi Anthonie,

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6920.jpg

IMG_6893.jpg

https://www.frankenpost.de/inhalt.helikopter-transportiert-flugzeug-spektakulaere-aktion-ueber-hof.be2b5b22-4e8a-4f1d-aa0d-fbef32581256.html

To keep you up to date. The helicopter picked the Mooney up from the field. I know the article above is in German but that's a quick translation:

Helicopter transports aircraft Spectacular action over Hof

At the beginning of May, a light propeller aircraft coming from Jena had to make an emergency landing in the Frössen district of Gefell. This Wednesday it was brought to Hof for maintenance. There were short-term restrictions for motorists. Anyone who watched the sky over the city and district of Hof between 1.30 p.m. and 2 p.m. today, Wednesday, witnessed a spectacular action. A Helix Airline AS 350 helicopter transported a Mooney propeller aircraft to Hof. The pilot of the plane had to make an emergency landing in the Gefell district of Frössen (Thuringia) near the Bavarian border on May 6th. His machine had engine problems. According to Police Chief Inspector Michael Müller, the special helicopter with a payload of 1400 kilograms started in Thuringia and reached the Hofmann aircraft hangar at Hof-Plauen airfield in the afternoon. Müller is the officer responsible for such operations at the Hof Police Inspectorate. For the overflight, it was necessary to temporarily block the B173 near the Selbitz district of Wachholderbusch. There was also a so-called throttle drive on Autobahn 9. A pure safety measure that hardly lasts a minute, said Müller.

media.media.66065801-6207-4a34-a626-3cb0e9e41a1f.original1024.jpg

media.media.f962fe2c-6871-4d4c-a391-1b3b4bfd1dcf.original1024.jpg

media.media.7a67536c-3ea2-481a-9b80-0901583c35d9.original1024.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’ve heard life flight helicopter ride can be $50,000, I wonder how much the helicopter salvage flight cost?

it significantly less (less than a quarter of what you mentioned) . Sure it's depending of flight time of the helicopter and potentially needed approvals. 

On 5/13/2022 at 11:54 AM, flumag said:

I'm looking for an replacement of an Conti TSIO-360-LB (1) T.C.E9CE. Ideally with ecaused and turbo charger. A factory rebuild is 6-9 month and I dealing with a damaged core since one of the connection rod produced a hole in the core.

Does anybody know a quicker source for buying an engine? 

Thanks Hendrik

I’m not sure who or where you’re getting 6 to 9 months out for a Continental factory rebuild.  They are doing a factory-new IO550-N8B for me right now (engine due to be shipped about 2 weeks).  The order was placed on or about mid-Feb. of this year.  Maybe the timing depends on the individual engine model, so I’d certainly follow back up with them to see if they can pull in that 6 - 9 month timeline.

I'm impressed if you get your engine in four months.  When I went shopping I was told six to eight months.  It does make sense that supply chain issues are so fluid that would mean it could vary in both directions and I just assume it will delay vs accelerate.  Good luck.  I just got mine flying and it is nice to be back in the air.  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 8:19 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I was talking to my wife and said it is a $10000 job. What I want to know is who is paying for it? You or the insurance company.

I would hope the insurence company, but feel that the cost is of course factored into the repair cost, meaning of course if it exceeds insurence amount you get a check.

I’ve worked and flown in Germany and the environmental restrictions can be severe, good thing there was no fuel spill.

I’m also assuming it’s insurence’s responsibility to remove the aircraft and any clean up needed.

A very large part of insurence for a larger boat is the environmental clean up, I wonder if it’s the same for an airplane?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi -

I might be a little late to this, as I am new to Mooney Space, but we (Air Power) have two rebuilt TSIO-360-LB1 ready for immediate shipment. You can reach out to me directly at dtaylor@airpowerinc.com if you need it. List price is $84,931, but we sell all Continental's $500 over distributor invoice, so our price would be $76,939 plus shipping. 

We might be able to work something out on your core! Also, for anyone that is interested, we maintain a "Ready to Ship" engine list on our website at https://www.airpowerinc.com/stockengines.

Thanks,

Darryl Taylor

General Manager, Air Power, Inc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1