Current source for Tempest AA48110-2 oil filters? Everyone's backordered

I’ve talked to several retailers. Apparently, Champion stopped production due to supply issues (some say they switched vendors and new parts didn’t meet spec., but I have no firsthand knowledge). So, of course, everyone switched to Tempest which couldn't increase production quickly to meet the increased demand. Everyone seems to be filling orders on a first-come-first-served basis. So, chasing stock is futile because new shipments go first to fill back orders. Best bet is to get an order in and be patient. Estimates of availability are not very accurate. Aircraft Spruce attempts to keep the availability dates updated, but the problem is that they never know when the will receive a shipment or what quantity they will receive because Tempest is trying to allocate shipments so everyone gets something. Spencer told me the same thing.

Skip

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2022 at 5:04 PM, A64Pilot said:

Buy a filter cutter and it becomes a non event to cut filters, especially if you put the nut part of the filter in a vise.

I like the Airwolf, but there are several, all seem to be variations of copper tube cutters.

Issue of cleanable filters is how do you clean them. We had SS screen oil and fuel filters on the GE-T700 engines, but they weren’t cleanable.

‘I’d want to know the micron rating, and what kind of rating. If you filter down to less than 15 microns it really does make a difference.

‘But then I’d like to know Tempest’s rating too, not that I could change it

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30697/choose-oil-filter

It’s not cutting the filter that’s the problem, it’s cutting the paper out of the filter to inspect… even with a box cutter it takes forever. Unless anyone has a trick :) 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Alex M said:

It’s not cutting the filter that’s the problem, it’s cutting the paper out of the filter to inspect… even with a box cutter it takes forever. Unless anyone has a trick :) 

Get a utility knife with a snap off blade. You can extend it out enough to cut all the way through the element. Start by the metal bar that goes across the element and go all the way around along one end of the filter, then go around it again on the other end. It won't cut all the way through but far enough that you can pull it out and it will rip through the last little bit of each pleat.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-25-mm-Metal-Body-Snap-Off-Knife-DWHT10045/202710467

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Alex M said:

?? I just use the blade in my multi-tool.  Any pocket knife should be long enough to cut through

23 hours ago, PT20J said:

I’ve talked to several retailers. Apparently, Champion stopped production due to supply issues (some say they switched vendors and new parts didn’t meet spec., but I have no firsthand knowledge). So, of course, everyone switched to Tempest which couldn't increase production quickly to meet the increased demand. Everyone seems to be filling orders on a first-come-first-served basis. So, chasing stock is futile because new shipments go first to fill back orders. Best bet is to get an order in and be patient. Estimates of availability are not very accurate. Aircraft Spruce attempts to keep the availability dates updated, but the problem is that they never know when the will receive a shipment or what quantity they will receive because Tempest is trying to allocate shipments so everyone gets something. Spencer told me the same thing.

Skip

Don't feel bad, Champion is behind on their auto filters also, purchased 2 or 3 filters for my cars  mos ago just in case

• 2 months later...

We just got a shipment of these AA48110-2 filters. We paid $52.98 per filter so we will add $5.00 to our cost and sell them at $57.98 which should be fair. Yes, they were crazy expensive but what choice do we have, we needed them in stock. Let us know if you need any. We will sell up to three per customer. We have a total of 180 of them in stock with paperwork, just an FYI. I wouldn't usually post this here but this is a crazy filter situation and I just wanted to let everyone know that needs one. Not trying to solicit, just trying to help. We also own a Mooney M20 btw and love her!!

https://airparts.aero/powerplant/oil/oil-filter/tempest-oil-filter-ez-spin-aa48110-2/

• Like 1