Current source for Tempest AA48110-2 oil filters? Everyone's backordered

On 7/11/2022 at 4:40 AM, Little Dipper said:

Does anyone know WHY there is a shortage of oil filters?

Just like semiconductors, everybody used to order JIT (just in time), but now everybody is hording and will buy as much as possible so they don't run out. This puts a significant burden on the supply chain. 

Most folks used to order 1 or 2 filters when they needed them, now everybody is ordering boxes of six and stocking up. I'm sure the demand is way up from normal days with everybody ordering 3 times as many as normal.

Some day soon everybody's shelves will be full of oil filters and the demand will drop significantly. You will see them for sale cheap on EBay and Amazon and the price for new ones will go down and then after a while the price will go back to normal. 

Hope it happens soon.

• Like 2

I ordered a box of Tempest and Champion oil filters back in April at Sun 'n Fun from Aircraft Spruce.    Aircraft Spruce tells me not to expect them until October at the earliest.  If they come in October, it will be 6 months!   When I asked Champion at Oshkosh what the issue was, the representative advised me that the problem is due to the metal not being available to make the filters.  He said they were not manufactured in China, that they were made here in the USA.  

I ordered a box of Tempest and Champion oil filters back in April at Sun 'n Fun from Aircraft Spruce.    Aircraft Spruce tells me not to expect them until October at the earliest.  If they come in October, it will be 6 months!   When I asked Champion at Oshkosh what the issue was, the representative advised me that the problem is due to the metal not being available to make the filters.  He said they were not manufactured in China, that they were made here in the USA.  

That’s unfortunately the issue with many U. S. products. They rely on overseas production of components. I think very few products are truly U. S. made. Better term would be “Assembled in the U.S.A”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Steel

sheet metal

coated sheet

painted sheet

formed parts

Assembled parts

Finished decorating parts

cartons and cases

If any of these steps was routed through Asia…

Lock-downs make a crummy substitute to using vaccines from the US or Europe….

Interesting that science doesn’t get copied as quickly as other technology has…. 

Distributing vaccines via Mooney around the world…. Would be interesting….  

We would need a few more LBs for that!

Go Mooney!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

Delivery is unpredictable. I ordered 2 Tempest AA48110-2 filters on 6/24/22 from Aircraft Spruce. Spruce updated the expected ship date twice, and each time it was later than the previous. The last update was 9/29/22. They actually shipped on 8/24/22. Don at Spencer told me that they get random deliveries and fill back orders in the order received.

Skip

On 8/31/2022 at 1:54 PM, Jeph357 said:

Another Mooney owner I know bought one of these looks pretty well made. 

image.png.5d1b38e206ab9206744d1cee273d11c8.png

https://www.challengeraviation.com/products/cp48110c-oil-filter?_pos=4&_sid=861f0b876&_ss=r

Some of the beech guys are buying these up. I have held one in my hand.  Quality is nice.  Some argue that filtration and flow is better than paper.  To me, that sounds impossible unless the filter area is bigger, but it’s actually smaller than the paper area.    It’s roughly the same cost as 10 tempest filters and already back ordered also.   I’m not sure what the bypass spring tension is set at.  

it would be nice to not have to cut filters though.  I would probably buy one if price was a bit lower. 

6 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

I would probably buy one if price was a bit lower. 

Not really trying to promote it one way or another, I still use Tempest and have enough for a while, yet I won't rule it out and here's why.

The current cost (@ Spruce) of 12 tempest $355.5 or 12 champions $503.

The Challenger filter is $350.

Lets say you go 50 hours between oil changes 12 oil changes = 600 hours, 300 hours@ 25 hour intervals.

The claim by Challenger and approved by the FAA is 1250hrs for the cleanable element ($120) and replace gasket "as necessary" ($6.50). 

I am sure I will have a pirep from the other Mooney owner on how he likes it in the near future it may be worth the 4-6 weeks lead time.

Buy a filter cutter and it becomes a non event to cut filters, especially if you put the nut part of the filter in a vise.

I like the Airwolf, but there are several, all seem to be variations of copper tube cutters.

Issue of cleanable filters is how do you clean them. We had SS screen oil and fuel filters on the GE-T700 engines, but they weren’t cleanable.

‘I’d want to know the micron rating, and what kind of rating. If you filter down to less than 15 microns it really does make a difference.

‘But then I’d like to know Tempest’s rating too, not that I could change it

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30697/choose-oil-filter

• Like 1

I ordered two in March and was told that they were backordered with an anticipated ship date in July.   In August AS just canceled my order, without an e-mail or any notice.    As soon as I saw that they canceled my order, I ordered six.   Still waiting.  I'm down to my last one.

On 9/10/2022 at 8:26 PM, MikeOH said:

Ordered my Champion from Spruce back in May, shipped from Georgia on Thursday, due to arrive Tuesday...we shall see.  Fortunately, I have one already on my shelf for the next oil change.

Got mine last week. charged me $12 for UPS Ground from GA to CA. with tax it came $52... a new record for an oil filter!:(