Oh crap the Ukrainian Farmers have expanded their territory and started going after planes.

7 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

I don't get it

In the original post I saw somewhere else, it went on to talk about how a FARMER was towing the plane to the airport.

So @Yetti took the leap to connect it to the Ukrainian Farmers protecting the airspace above their farms in jest.

It's been going on for awhile.  Russians invaded during the mud season.   Russians get their tanks stuck in the mud.   Ukraine farmers go and get the tanks with their tractors and then use them to shoot Ruskies

• Haha 1

While I find it hard to believe that the Russians don’t have and use recovery vehicles, I’m afraid that the Ukraine could fall any time the Russians decide to employ the assets to do so. Why they haven’t is beyond me. Something is going on, my guess is that the soldiers and their leaders aren’t committed.

In the Military you either believe in and employ Blitzkrieg tactics, or you get bogged down in a slowly escalating war as you teach the opposition how to defeat you.

The Russian armored vehicles are the best there is in the mud/sand, they have less ground compaction than US vehicles

Edited by A64Pilot

50 minutes ago, Yetti said:

It's been going on for awhile.  Russians invaded during the mud season.   Russians get their tanks stuck in the mud.   Ukraine farmers go and get the tanks with their tractors and then use them to shoot Ruskies

Smart / Intelligent Armies in that part of the World invade during the Spring.

So of course we deployed to Bosnia on Christmas day, day after actually, snow didn’t let up on Christmas day.

But ask the French or the German’s what a Russian winter is like.

Modern computerized weapons systems, flip the “Master Zeroize” switch and the system is essentially useless. I guess the Russians don’t do that?

Edited by A64Pilot

Wow... I was looking at the photos going "that looks like my drive to the airport". Sure enough...

This is the second plane towed down that highway. We towed a Kingair from Lockhart to Lulling a year or so ago.

6 minutes ago, AH-1 Cobra Pilot said:

Wonder what the FAA is going to say about that?

We had a guy disappear in flight school, rumor had it that he landed his Cherokee in the Super bowl parking lot after running it out of fuel, FAA supposedly wasn’t impressed when he put fuel in it and left. He never came back. Never really knew what happened.

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

I’m afraid that the Ukraine could fall any time the Russians decide to employ the assets to do so. Why they haven’t is beyond me.

The Soviet army that you and I were taught to respect and fear back in the 1980s simply doesn’t exist, and there’s a good chance it never existed.

The only additional assets the Russians could employ in Ukraine are chemical or nuke, which is scary as hell.  But they can keep sending men and materiel into Ukraine and it will just feed the meat grinder.

Russian equipment is second rate, they don’t understand the logistical requirements of the campaign, the soldiers don’t want to be there, and they don’t have a professional non-commissioned officer corps.  They are falling back on the only real strategy they have available to them, which is attacking soft targets like civilians, hospitals, and apartment buildings.  But militarily, they really don’t stand a chance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

While I find it hard to believe that the Russians don’t have and use recovery vehicles, I’m afraid that the Ukraine could fall any time the Russians decide to employ the assets to do so. Why they haven’t is beyond me. Something is going on, my guess is that the soldiers and their leaders aren’t committed.

In the Military you either believe in and employ Blitzkrieg tactics, or you get bogged down in a slowly escalating war as you teach the opposition how to defeat you.

The Russian armored vehicles are the best there is in the mud/sand, they have less ground compaction than US vehicles

I think this is the first drone war.   The Ukraines are taking multi rotor drones  strapping a couple of RPG rounds to them and dropping them into the turrets.   Cover of darkness.   Ruskies really don't have a defense to that.   The Ukraines are providing nothing for the ruskies to shoot at so the ruskies shoot at apartment buildings.

It's like the FAA has not ever adapted to technology the same for the military.   Basically means our intelligence has been lying to us for decades about ruskie capabilities to support the military complex.    Then a bunch of IT nerd/gamers come in and upset the military apple cart with their off the shelf toys.

I believe for the most part it’s Soviet equipment vs Soviet equipment, what we are sending is small stuff.

So you have similarly equipped Armies facing each other, one should be a professional,army, the other partisans

The Soviets should be able to walk over them, my guess is that the Soviets expected a capitulation like in Czechoslovakia in 1968 and weren’t equipped and didn’t have the supply train for combat as the plan was a show of force and the other side gives up, then the Soviets never really went all out, they have slowly escalated which trains the other side and gives them hope that they could win.

Honestly civilian drones are very easy to shoot down, they all operate on known frequencies, so maybe some of that maybe, but it’s easily defeated.

I don’t know enough about what’s going on to make an educated guess, but we aren’t supporting the Ukrainians very much at all really not at all like we did the Israelis in 73, if the Russians wanted to invade Europe in 73 the US couldn’t have stopped them as pretty much everything we had was flown to Israel, not tanks of course but just about all the ammo and missiles etc. It took quite awhile to rebuild that stock, but had we not, it’s pretty clear that Israel would have lost

https://www.palestine-studies.org/en/node/38298

Edited by A64Pilot

21 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Honestly civilian drones are very easy to shoot down, they all operate on known frequencies, so maybe some of that maybe, but it’s easily defeated.

You mean like when Iraq/Taliban realized that we did not encrypt the Predator Drone ground transmissions and were watching their movements on laptops with Russian software?   They may be easy to shoot down, but the ruskies don't seem to be able to find them.

What kind of civilian drone can carry the weight of a bomb?

An 88 mm mortar round could take out an IFV especially from a top hit, but they weigh about 20 lbs I think. I’m not saying that wasn’t a real video, but suspect it was in a motor pool or other non combat area

12 minutes ago, Yetti said:

You mean like when Iraq/Taliban realized that we did not encrypt the Predator Drone ground transmissions and were watching their movements on laptops with Russian software?   They may be easy to shoot down, but the ruskies don't seem to be able to find them.

I don’t know anything about that but am not surprised, anything new when put into actual combat you find weaknesses that weren’t thought about, like for instance a TOW missile which was our mainstay for years is easily jammed, but we didn’t know or think about that for a long time.

When we first went down range with the AH-64 we learned all kinds of limitations of the laser that we had never thought of, underspill, overspill, beam divergence, spot jitter, shimmer lots of things the hard way. Until you actually use a weapon system in combat you really don’t know how well it will work, or how an ingenious enemy can defeat it, TOW missile as an example

Edited by A64Pilot