Minor Forum Issues

1 minute ago, Skates97 said:

I'm curious what the hosting plan is? I'm not criticizing, just asking. The hosting service where I have my site has unlimited storage,. email accounts, unmetered bandwidth, and runs me $180/year. 

Me too.  I keep wondering how much each MooneySpace subscriber would have to kick in so that we could all enjoy more storage, more bandwidth, and maybe more processors -- I have experienced some major latency at all hours of the day.

4 hours ago, mooniac58 said:

When it comes to photos people need to learn how to reduce the size of these using photo editing software.  A JPG image can look really good with high resolution at 1MB. 

Attached is a 830KB JPG image at 2000x1335 resolution.  If you just upload raw images off your phone or camera they are going to be huge.  With new phone camera technology they are getting insanely huge - like 100MB (100x the size of the photo I attached here).  Most phones have options built in to reduce file size.

A basic member could have 100+ images like this on their account and a Supporter could have 300+.

When it comes to videos, just don't upload them here.  We are not YouTube and we don't have that kind of storage capabilities.  You can upload your videos to YouTube or other video sites and embed them into your post here.

pexels-julius-silver-753626.jpg

Is there a way to limit the size of an attachment so that users are forced to compress? I’ll admit to being guilty of uploading images straight from my phone’s camera.

4 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Is there a way to limit the size of an attachment so that users are forced to compress? I’ll admit to being guilty of uploading images straight from my phone’s camera.

That’s entirely unnecessary in this day and age. It’s simple software for the server to resize and compress all images to within spec. It might waste a little bandwidth uploading a larger than necessary photo but with 4g, 5G, and 100+ Mb connections, this is a complete non issue. I agree that videos can be posted elsewhere and embedded.

17 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I'm curious what the hosting plan is? I'm not criticizing, just asking. The hosting service where I have my site has unlimited storage,. email accounts, unmetered bandwidth, and runs me $180/year. 

Our plan is marketed as "unlimited storage" but as with all hosting plans they have what is called a "fair use policy" that in the fine print states what unlimited really means.

Try uploading 500gb of data to your server and see what happens. Likely you will be notified about this.

I'm looking into dedicated hosting which will run around $1200 a year and will give us 250gb fixed storage.  However in this kind of setup if the hard disks fill up it will crash the entire website and corrupt data (been there before)...so user data limits would still be necessary,  but much higher limits.  If I go this route supporter status will likely be a fixed amount like $35 per year instead of the flexible donation system we have now. Basic members will have very limited accounts.

The big issue for me right now is time. I'm in the middle of expanding my donut business as well as a major home renovation. Mooneyspace is not exactly a project that feeds my family so I need to tackle this at a later time.

In the short term I will likely double the storage limits for users to 150mb (basic) and 500mb (supporter) but that isn't going to help users that have uploaded 1gb or more of attachments already. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mooniac58 said:

Our plan is marketed as "unlimited storage" but as with all hosting plans they have what is called a "fair use policy" that in the fine print states what unlimited really means.

Try uploading 500gb of data to your server and see what happens. Likely you will be notified about this.

I'm looking into dedicated hosting which will run around $1200 a year and will give us 250gb fixed storage.  However in this kind of setup if the hard disks fill up it will crash the entire website and corrupt data (been there before)...so user data limits would still be necessary,  but much higher limits.  If I go this route supporter status will likely be a fixed amount like $35 per year instead of the flexible donation system we have now. Basic members will have very limited accounts.

The big issue for me right now is time. I'm in the middle of expanding my donut business as well as a major home renovation. Mooneyspace is not exactly a project that feeds my family so I need to tackle this at a later time.

In the short term I will likely double the storage limits for users to 150mb (basic) and 500mb (supporter) but that isn't going to help users that have uploaded 1gb or more of attachments already. 

Yes, they have a caveat that if you don't fall into the "normal" use they will notify you and you have to make changes.

Is there a way to tweak settings that allow for inserting images from Google photos? That would be an easy way for users to put in pics without using up space similar to embedding a Youtube link. There is an option to "Insert image from URL" but if you upload an image to Google photos, select share and get the link the forum here doesn't recognize it as an image link and so it can't be inserted. For instance, this is a link to a pic I was trying to post in another thread but the forum won't recognize it and insert it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZdEiEwvgpLk6ieFMA

7 hours ago, mooniac58 said:

What about the "unlimited plus" plan.  Or, for that matter, a different hosting site?

35 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

What about the "unlimited plus" plan.  Or, for that matter, a different hosting site?

All hosting companies that claim "unlimited" storage or bandwidth have fine print on it.  What they really mean is that there is a "soft limit" and if you go over so much they warn you, stop backing up files and eventually stop allowing you to create more files (like what happened to us).  The good news is that you don't hit a hard limit and end up with corrupted data.  I have had this with servers that I owned myself before.  If the hard drive physically caps out then things will likely get corrupted.

I already asked them about some kind of upgrade and they stated that the next upgrade option was to move from shared hosting to dedicated hosting - which is where you have your own dedicated machine with fixed storage.  Even with this we would need to be strict on how much users can upload.  The dedicated server has 250GB and that is only about 2.5x what we have now.  If only a couple hundred users decided to upload 1GB each of content it would crash the server.

4 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Yes, they have a caveat that if you don't fall into the "normal" use they will notify you and you have to make changes.

Is there a way to tweak settings that allow for inserting images from Google photos? That would be an easy way for users to put in pics without using up space similar to embedding a Youtube link. There is an option to "Insert image from URL" but if you upload an image to Google photos, select share and get the link the forum here doesn't recognize it as an image link and so it can't be inserted. For instance, this is a link to a pic I was trying to post in another thread but the forum won't recognize it and insert it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZdEiEwvgpLk6ieFMA

It is very likely that Google has things setup to prevent hotlinking images from their servers onto domains outside of their ownership.  This is pretty common practice with image websites.  It causes them to pay for bandwidth that they cannot monetize.  You will notice if you go directly to that link in your post it redirects you to a Google page.  If you inspect that page you will see that the image is actually at the URL of:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/y9RXMBTsye_BHN5BafW2BmGcQhDZIvmqg3s1-mf1anaUDXOx17N_2Uf4piyrKBFP-PX2aH6g_Nld4-SOBSgu4QoSAM7ld3QfsISGcJEmiFbQWp_Quf8tOR8Z_jePeyneI6otAQ8zGE-zt1Lcxw6YLCwOmtxsT_fDaQB61VL46o_UOCMGYt_K3jy-61cbA5UiQOzq_mHGZUsS-239ofusH3T71BLaoqV6P8V3j-0HeVcRmsoFBiz5K_4c2hz48OBaTKM1q5Y35ds9yRtFUy5QNRkjbC9poJodqj_H727kfQSirqHOQSEPluMiOzN5pVG_AriMO-MP72rgt4msTg9F-fxHeTfbm12_tbL824gPUYQpDRBrntsTrZAM5jQIry4R1IfKlAZmRGGbBA0x-71tYqlxDyqykVQLVG2mr7-Q1RsitOe8dgnmyWdQ9pHXvlyfpdHSVHkADfZQUIjxtlrZ7lXgMyivi3EhfxZbeletHHMxcv2u6--V7g7B_InRiLkl8CZqhPmTnLoxnk7RvE2XwUGpcHfFYb61D2sI53GfdalvatwK24ZeVHI9Gyss-SuaPIKb_KpGkpLHaL7_fE542P5XK7m5fsGRklYsV6gzZlBh9_LeBQtfDaSRQwmuDalQjC1gMvS9Mod_DPINeB76dgGHafgBxIRdvKsXW76tWH51oKOBTfruH-40mVotZWfHW16AIH_ffUWJb41ZvzKhLKX4E4pr1BVhYrO-N2zlGThDrJQK7s80ErT991Xje2g9fnohC6vFjDGSOYjYTJS9A1GelsRDrwDZh4bXFhyfjQWEHus0Qjeciw81Lrhwq3z1vGoh3_wD2j3tIILHEcYV44RSX10wjoI=w668-h412-no?authuser=0&quot

That URL is pulled off the DIV element on the Google page:

<div class="RY3tic" style="opacity: 1; background-image: url(&quot;https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/y9RXMBTsye_BHN5BafW2BmGcQhDZIvmqg3s1-mf1anaUDXOx17N_2Uf4piyrKBFP-PX2aH6g_Nld4-SOBSgu4QoSAM7ld3QfsISGcJEmiFbQWp_Quf8tOR8Z_jePeyneI6otAQ8zGE-zt1Lcxw6YLCwOmtxsT_fDaQB61VL46o_UOCMGYt_K3jy-61cbA5UiQOzq_mHGZUsS-239ofusH3T71BLaoqV6P8V3j-0HeVcRmsoFBiz5K_4c2hz48OBaTKM1q5Y35ds9yRtFUy5QNRkjbC9poJodqj_H727kfQSirqHOQSEPluMiOzN5pVG_AriMO-MP72rgt4msTg9F-fxHeTfbm12_tbL824gPUYQpDRBrntsTrZAM5jQIry4R1IfKlAZmRGGbBA0x-71tYqlxDyqykVQLVG2mr7-Q1RsitOe8dgnmyWdQ9pHXvlyfpdHSVHkADfZQUIjxtlrZ7lXgMyivi3EhfxZbeletHHMxcv2u6--V7g7B_InRiLkl8CZqhPmTnLoxnk7RvE2XwUGpcHfFYb61D2sI53GfdalvatwK24ZeVHI9Gyss-SuaPIKb_KpGkpLHaL7_fE542P5XK7m5fsGRklYsV6gzZlBh9_LeBQtfDaSRQwmuDalQjC1gMvS9Mod_DPINeB76dgGHafgBxIRdvKsXW76tWH51oKOBTfruH-40mVotZWfHW16AIH_ffUWJb41ZvzKhLKX4E4pr1BVhYrO-N2zlGThDrJQK7s80ErT991Xje2g9fnohC6vFjDGSOYjYTJS9A1GelsRDrwDZh4bXFhyfjQWEHus0Qjeciw81Lrhwq3z1vGoh3_wD2j3tIILHEcYV44RSX10wjoI=w668-h412-no?authuser=0&quot;); transition: none 0s ease 0s;" data-latest-bg="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/y9RXMBTsye_BHN5BafW2BmGcQhDZIvmqg3s1-mf1anaUDXOx17N_2Uf4piyrKBFP-PX2aH6g_Nld4-SOBSgu4QoSAM7ld3QfsISGcJEmiFbQWp_Quf8tOR8Z_jePeyneI6otAQ8zGE-zt1Lcxw6YLCwOmtxsT_fDaQB61VL46o_UOCMGYt_K3jy-61cbA5UiQOzq_mHGZUsS-239ofusH3T71BLaoqV6P8V3j-0HeVcRmsoFBiz5K_4c2hz48OBaTKM1q5Y35ds9yRtFUy5QNRkjbC9poJodqj_H727kfQSirqHOQSEPluMiOzN5pVG_AriMO-MP72rgt4msTg9F-fxHeTfbm12_tbL824gPUYQpDRBrntsTrZAM5jQIry4R1IfKlAZmRGGbBA0x-71tYqlxDyqykVQLVG2mr7-Q1RsitOe8dgnmyWdQ9pHXvlyfpdHSVHkADfZQUIjxtlrZ7lXgMyivi3EhfxZbeletHHMxcv2u6--V7g7B_InRiLkl8CZqhPmTnLoxnk7RvE2XwUGpcHfFYb61D2sI53GfdalvatwK24ZeVHI9Gyss-SuaPIKb_KpGkpLHaL7_fE542P5XK7m5fsGRklYsV6gzZlBh9_LeBQtfDaSRQwmuDalQjC1gMvS9Mod_DPINeB76dgGHafgBxIRdvKsXW76tWH51oKOBTfruH-40mVotZWfHW16AIH_ffUWJb41ZvzKhLKX4E4pr1BVhYrO-N2zlGThDrJQK7s80ErT991Xje2g9fnohC6vFjDGSOYjYTJS9A1GelsRDrwDZh4bXFhyfjQWEHus0Qjeciw81Lrhwq3z1vGoh3_wD2j3tIILHEcYV44RSX10wjoI=w668-h412-no?authuser=0"><div class="eGiHwc" aria-hidden="true"></div><div class="KYCEmd" aria-hidden="true"></div></div>

Which I can embed that here (which surprises me that Google is not blocking this):

y9RXMBTsye_BHN5BafW2BmGcQhDZIvmqg3s1-mf1

But I can't really expect most people to dig into the HTML of pages to get the image.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, mooniac58 said:

All hosting companies that claim "unlimited" storage or bandwidth have fine print on it. 

I have no idea what the costs are to host a site like this, but I was thinking more along the lines of "moving up" to a provider with more processors, more memory, more disk, more bandwidth, dedicated server(s), etc.  I read BeechTalk quite a lot, and I guess they are better funded because I have never read any comments about hosting site issues.

19 hours ago, 201er said:

That’s entirely unnecessary in this day and age. It’s simple software for the server to resize and compress all images to within spec. It might waste a little bandwidth uploading a larger than necessary photo but with 4g, 5G, and 100+ Mb connections, this is a complete non issue. I agree that videos can be posted elsewhere and embedded.

I'm looking into options for doing this on IPBoard (the forum software we use).  I did not code this site, it is a pre-packaged deal so if it does not natively support image resizing or if there is not a plug-in that does it I cannot do it.  My coding days are 15+ years behind me now.  In sites that I built myself in the past I always ran uploaded images through a module that would reduce width and height as well as run fairly heavy JPG compression to reduce file size.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • mooniac58 unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Mooney space has been such a great resource. I have been finding post back to 2016 that answer current questions but unfortunately the images have all been deleted so the references people are making to their photos are somewhat useless. Thats a lot of information to waste.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 1:21 PM, mooniac58 said:

I had to set limits on everyone's account for all of your combined attachments.  Basic members have 75MB of storage and Supporter members have 250MB of storage.  Our hosting account only allows 75GB of storage and we had lots of users uploading 500MB videos and 100MB JPGs, etc.

You can manage your attachments at https://mooneyspace.com/attachments/ (or by clicking your username and selecting My Attachments).  Here you can delete your older attachments, etc.

Any guidance on how to delete?  I followed the link but can't figure out.  It says I've used 247MB of 195MB available.

On 7/17/2022 at 8:42 AM, DXB said:

Any guidance on how to delete?  I followed the link but can't figure out.  It says I've used 247MB of 195MB available.

Tick the boxes to the right of each item to select it for deleting.  There will be a trash icon at the bottom of the site to delete all selected items.  Note that if you cannot see the trash icon you need to minimize the bottom banner advertisement with the down arrow at the top right of the ad.