Another Example of EV BS

My wife's son just ordered an all electric Genesis SUV. He said he ordered the "vegan leather". Yeah, that's right, vegan leather. I asked why and he said real leather creates too much methane in raising the cow. So I looked up "vegan leather". Yep, its vinyl and polyurethane made from.....you guessed it....petroleum. If it was not so stupid, it would be funny.

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

No Cedar Key is a paved runway and a Lady named Judy monitors the radio and provides cab service, she has a raggedy minivan now, used to be an old Checker cab held together with duct tape.

Yes - meant I'm reminded of CDK, which is on the bucket list for me.

Carrabelle is a weird place now: tons of boats, but very little commercial activity.  There was not a restaurant open earlier this year when we drove over there for lunch.  Google says there are active restaurants there now, so maybe we need to try again.

Panacea sounds great, but the strip is probably insufficient for the porky TN.

Apalachicola has some great dining options and a fantastic fish market.  It's worth at least a day trip, but the transportation options are probably limited to rental cars at KAAF.  

It's hard to imagine what you describe still existing in the panhandle.  Outside of the Big Bend / Forgotten Coast region, most everything is developed or military.

• Like 1

You can easily get into Panacea, I’ve seen King Airs and PC-12’s there although a PC-12 is pretty impressive short field.

It’s 2600 ft.

We used to go to Carrabelle many years ago and it was a fishing village, later kept a boat there and a lot of the Commercial activity was gone, then later heard there was a lot of Condo’s being built.

But I bet Sopchoppy hasn’t changed much, then the town of Panacea I’m sure hasn’t as it’s not on the water.

We stayed at the Hotel on Dog Island probably 15 years ago and it was about gone then, Dog seemed pretty run down, by now it’s gone one way or the other

Edited by A64Pilot

3 hours ago, GeeBee said:

My wife's son just ordered an all electric Genesis SUV. He said he ordered the "vegan leather". Yeah, that's right, vegan leather. I asked why and he said real leather creates too much methane in raising the cow. So I looked up "vegan leather". Yep, its vinyl and polyurethane made from.....you guessed it....petroleum. If it was not so stupid, it would be funny.

Don’t laugh I first heard of Vegan leather a couple of years ago with Women’s handbags, in the expensive designer handbags, Vegan leather is more desirable and therefore more costly than real leather.

Of course as it’s just Naugahyde or Pleather is also much cheaper to buy than quality leather, so the manufacturer makes out both ways

On the Tesla forums there was an outcry for Tesla to go Vegan, and they did and dropped leather, now it’s all Vegan leather. The people rejoiced, until it was discovered that the adhesive used has some egg in it, so they were outraged that Tesla wasn’t really totally Vegan. One post I remember well one Woman was going to spend I think it was $600 to have her steering wheel changed to a Vegan one so she didn’t have to wear gloves anymore, because she just couldn’t touch some poor dead animals skin.

You can’t make this up.

As I’m eating the cow, I don’t understand where this extra methane is coming from? Do they think there are special “leather” cows?

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

uhhh,,,,Dan has a home on St. George Island...just sayin...

Well, I didn’t know that, but if he does I assume it’s recent if he’s not been to CDK, Panacea I understand because except to go to Angelo’s or a fly-in, there just isn’t a reason to go there, used to be a Barbeque place, but it been gone for a long time.

Where I was talking about was 50 years ago, may have bee ST. Marks, Steinahatche or maybe even Panacea at the bridge.

There was a Marina at the end of a causeway, no possible thru traffic because the road dead ended into the Marina. They would come out and block the causeway.

I’ve been trying to find out where that was for years and haven’t been able to.

• Like 1

High discharge rate batteries have been around for years.  I used to fly RC airplanes and helicopters.  30C rate batteries were the norm.  That is, they would support a discharge rate 30 times their capacity.  So that 20 KWH pack would be capable of delivering 600 KW, or 800 HP.  And 40C and 50C batteries were available.

But, high charge rates, high discharge rates, and fully charging/discharging all reduce the battery life.  The first two are a function of heat.  High rates increase battery heat and heat reduces life.

Cell phones charge at 1C or less (1 hour charge time) to increase life.  Of course, discharge rates are low.  Also, they typically only charge to 80% of full capacity and go into low power mode at 20% remaining.  So, for long life, you really only use 60% of the pack capacity.  So that 20 KWH pack is only delivering 12 KWH if you want long life.

The way that lithium batteries charge is a constant amperage - contact voltage regime.  So that from low charge to about 80% charged, they charge at a constant amperage.  For the 30C packs, that is typically a max of 3C.  So a 2100 mAH pack, would charge at constant amperage of 6 amps to 80%.  At that point, the voltage to charge at that rate is 4.2 volts per cell.  The charger holds that voltage and the amperage reduces at the pack reaches fully charged.

The reason you need to replace the cells after a while is, they wear out.  Just like your cell phone, if you keep if for a number of years, the battery life goes down, so you replace it.

8 hours ago, AH-1 Cobra Pilot said:

So, do these people only drive 10 mph to keep from squishing bugs on their windshields?

I don’t know I was only on the Tesla forums for a short while. I was wanting tech specs, operating principles, how does it work etc. Prius Chat back in 2010 was chock full of that, people were breaking into the computer and monitoring inverter temps and when the engine was actually producing power as opposed to just spinning over etc. Plus you could tell it was being monitored by Toyota maybe not officially, but when someone would start putting out an operating theory that sounded logical but wasn’t how it worked, an obvious Toyota Engineer would post and guide them back to the truth.

Tesla forums unfortunately weren’t like that, they would go on and on about BMS reset procedures on how to regain battery range, but never really understood that what they were doing was merely resetting the BMS to report a bigger number and the procedure isn’t kind to the battery, so repeating it often is actually bad.

The Tesla BMS (battery management system) is pessimistic it will over time report a 5 or 6% loss in range that isn’t really there, but that’s better than telling someone they have more range than actual. If you run the thing out it’s not like you can call someone to bring you a few gallons of electrons. But worrying about 5% reported range loss is not significant, but boy they would go nuts, the whole range thing is way overplayed and I don’t understand why. Only an idiot tries to use all of the range anyway, it’s really bad on batteries

But honestly the forums were about things like Vegan leather and to me other irrelevant things, I don’t care about styling etc. , I want to know how the thing works, like the heat pump, you delve into that and it’s a marvel like Toyota’s power split device is. Heat pump has 15 different operating modes, 12 heat 3 cooling and can do things like harvest cabin heat if the car is sitting in the sun while your at work and store it in that 1,000 lb mass that the battery is and move it from the battery to the cabin to keep you warm on the way home and as it’s only moving heat and not creating it, it affects battery charge a lot less. I wanted to know how, when and why it did things like that, and that’s not at all what those forums are for, but I guess that’s not what interests most people

When you really dig into the operating principles of the Prius you find that the thing is an absolute Engineering Marvel, it’s really a very complex machine, it shouldn’t work as well as it does and discovering why is interesting. I wanted to do the same with the Tesla, dara is out there just not in forums 

Edited by A64Pilot