Loose ground issue

Hey all,

When flying around, it seems as though the cluster gauges are not reading correctly. Only saying so since when I press on the panel, all the instruments change the reading and read more closely to the JPI 730 onboard. Tried looking for any loose grounds but couldn't find a smoking bullet yet. The picture is behind the gauge cluster and just want to ensure it isn't missing a ground that some others may have hooked up. There are 2 ground straps on each end attached to the aluminum top panel though. 

Let me know what your thoughts are.

0429221537-1.jpg

0429221547.jpg

Edited by Rotorhead
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

If it is like on my 1980 M20J, those aren't grounding posts, they are terminals for lighting.  If you look under the tab you will see a hole for a light bulb for each of the gauges.  If you install light bulbs, you can daisy chain wire those terminals to provide power for the bulbs.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 201Mooniac said:

If it is like on my 1980 M20J, those aren't grounding posts, they are terminals for lighting.  If you look under the tab you will see a hole for a light bulb for each of the gauges.  If you install light bulbs, you can daisy chain wire those terminals to provide power for the bulbs.

Well be damn I had no idea. May try out the lights once this ground issue is figured out. 

Appreciate the insight!

Connecting wires randomly to things that look familiar may not work out very well….

This is why we have actual mechanics and avionics people…

You might want to use a volt meter and continuity tester prior to seeing sparks fly…

If you haven’t found the ground strap yet… that could be a hint you are chasing the right thing…

But, embarking on an electrical solution without the proper tools can lead to crummy results…

:)

PP thoughts only, not an electrician…

Best regards,

-a-