4/20/22 Message from Jonny/Service Center

Jonny

Hey Folks:

It's been a while since I've posted and for that I apologize.

I've been working diligently to keep Mooney alive and kicking and to put us in a position to become self-sustaining so we can concentrate on the more important stuff:  Developing the retrofit landing gear to increase useful load and building brand new Ultras. Although we have kept parts moving, I'm well aware that there is frustration at the delays and in some cases, your inability to get certain parts. Some of this is a result of supply chain issues and some of it is that we simply don't have the resources to purchase the vendor inventory we need.

I promise you that we are working on ways to remedy this. Many of you have written or called me offering your support and suggestions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. Some of your ideas are great and if I haven't been able to implement them, it's simply because we don't yet have the resources.

We have just formally re-opened the Factory Service Center. One way you can support us, is to book an appointment and have the factory service your plane. We're competitively priced and whether it's for an annual or some vexing issue that no one else seems able to fix, come down to Kerrville and the folks that built your plane will take care of it. We'll also show you around the factory and if I'm available, I'll stop by so we can talk Mooney in person.

The service center number is: (830) 792-2064 and the email is FSC@Mooney.com

We look forward to hearing from you and I thank you for your continued support.

Warmly,

Jonny

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

Hey Folks:
I've been working diligently to keep Mooney alive and kicking and to put us in a position to become self-sustaining so we can concentrate on the more important stuff:  Developing the retrofit landing gear to increase useful load and building brand new Ultras. Although we have kept parts moving, I'm well aware that there is frustration at the delays and in some cases, your inability to get certain parts. Some of this is a result of supply chain issues and some of it is that we simply don't have the resources to purchase the vendor inventory we need.
I promise you that we are working on ways to remedy this. Many of you have written or called me offering your support and suggestions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. Some of your ideas are great and if I haven't been able to implement them, it's simply because we don't yet have the resources.
We have just formally re-opened the Factory Service Center. One way you can support us, is to book an appointment and have the factory service your plane. We're competitively priced and whether it's for an annual or some vexing issue that no one else seems able to fix, come down to Kerrville and the folks that built your plane will take care of it. We'll also show you around the factory and if I'm available, I'll stop by so we can talk Mooney in person.
Warmly,
Jonny

That is great news! Thank you…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Hey Folks:

Warmly,

Jonny

These guys at the Factory Service Center took great care of me in December in getting a software update handled and getting my brakes properly bled. I am going to see them in the next couple weeks to have a WX-500 installed and in getting my Bose jacks fixed. Thrilled to have them open!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jonny said:

And we're putting together a factory certified pre-buy. So if you're thinking of selling your plane, get the factory cert in advance which should really help you sell your plane.

This is a very interesting idea.

• Like 2

The great folks at Mooney recently worked on my Ultra, and as usual, they were fantastic to work with and did a tremendous job.  As a result, I’ve had the opportunity to work with Jonny.  He has done a tremendous job in a difficult situation and I respect his honesty, work ethic and dedication to the Mooney brand.  Hope you will all do what you can to support the company by taking advantage of the Service Center.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

They mean a lot to the Mooney community!

No doubt. We *really* care about these updates, and even an occasional word from Jonny’s mouth is so much better than speculation. We get all kinds of threads going here when it’s been too long since the last official post :)

• Like 1

Some companies like Air Tractor for instance when times get tough use their repair station to “factory refurbish” aircraft, this can mean pretty much anything of course depending on how much the owner can afford, but means as a min a through Annual with of course any and all outstanding SB’s done. The industry recognizes the value of a factory deep look and one’s that have been recently refurbished do sell at a better price.

Edited by A64Pilot

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Expect LBs at first…

But, great question to ask!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

What does the retrofit entail? How much is the additional GW? What would the cost be? 

It would be great if there was a long range tank option to go with it as well! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbp said:

What does the retrofit entail? How much is the additional GW? What would the cost be? 

It would be great if there was a long range tank option to go with it as well! 

That is all in the works, and only speculation from folks like us. We keep or fingers crossed that the gains are such that LB owners would see benefit, given the cost, and purchase said retrofit. 

Same for new Ultra production. It has to be enough to, at a minimum,  challenge Cirrus (obviously). 

Can not speak about long range tanks. Have not heard from Joe in awhile. Maybe Anthony has heard something?

Hi Johnny!  Glad to hear from you!!!!

I have been thinking what a shame Mooney is not still selling new airplanes in this crazy sellers market where used planes are selling at un-naturally high prices and still there are few available.  Same with cars, etc.  I sure hope if you can get into the new airplane biz again, it happens soon to catch this tiger by its tail!

Landing gear - if the STC does make it down to mid bodies - wow would I ever be interested!

• Like 1

A personal opinion is that I wouldn’t expect new aircraft or gross weight increases etc soon, those are very expensive propositions and frankly trying to do too much too soon has been the death knell of many an aircraft manufacturer, it’s easy to get overextended all you have to do is listen to the wrong people who forecast great things, all you have to do is offer x and the money will roll in, there is a lot of pent up demand etc.

These guys have to get their feet under them before they can walk, and new aircraft and gross weight increases are definitely running tasks.

I am very pleased hearing they have a service center, I hope it’s a Certified Repair Station, but if we support them then maybe over time they can start crawling and hopefully walk then run as funds allow. If we don’t, then they may not survive, their survival is to a great extent in our hands

Having been a manufacturer I can tell you it’s tough, and very easy to find yourself on credit hold by suppliers, and yet I can also tell you that can be overcome, but it doesn’t happen overnight, it takes time to build back trust.

My story is we bought a defunct manufacturer, breathed life into it and over a few years became quite successful and accomplished a lot, new models, huge gross weight increases etc., the President / Owner died suddenly and his silent business partner came in to run things and took our good book of business and goodwill we spent years building and leveraged it to borrow huge sums of money thinking the more he spent, the more he would make, and yes he ran it into bankruptcy, so I’ve seen the slow growth to success and the decline to bankruptcy. One is hard, the other all you have to do is listen to Cronies who tack themselves to you building your ego for their own profit.

Sorry I’m still a little bitter I guess.

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Sure hope we can get used to the new looking gear...... kinda comfortable, like an old shoe, those donuts are :lol:

Ya think we’ll need another step to get up on the wing? :P

Oh no Mitch! - you know yer getting old when you are asking for a second step for your wing.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Jonny said:

Hey Folks:

We have just formally re-opened the Factory Service Center. One way you can support us, is to book an appointment and have the factory service your plane. We're competitively priced and whether it's for an annual or some vexing issue that no one else seems able to fix (my emphasis), come down to Kerrville and the folks that built your plane will take care of it. We'll also show you around the factory and if I'm available, I'll stop by so we can talk Mooney in person.

Warmly,

Jonny

I did just that last October.  After having an issue with 4 broken inner gear door rods on my airplane over a two year period of time and never knowing where, when, or if it would break again, maybe in the middle of nowhere, I headed down to Kerrville to see if they might be able to find the problem.  They found the problem pretty quickly, and I can't fault my excellent local MSC for not being able to locate it.  It turns out it was a 30 year old issue associated with the brake upgrade kit I had purchased several years earlier, and had the person working on my plane in Kerrville not remembered the problem from 30 years ago, I'm not sure I ever would have been able to get it fixed.  They even still had the repair part on hand.  With the fix, to date knock on wood, I have not had another broken rod.

• Like 8