Main Gear Disc Replacement Tool

outermarker

2 hours ago, outermarker said:

If anyone has a main gear disc replacement tool for sale, I would like to talk with you as I am sure others would also. All experience in the process is also appreciated. Can discs be purchased direct from LORD?

For the main gear, you can fill it up with fuel and / or have someone sit on the wing to compress them. Pretty easy that way. Nose takes the tool to get them compressed enough to re-install. I don’t think you can buy them directly from Lord, but doesn’t hurt to look and see if it’s an option now.

David

David

Dave,

I too will be replacing gear donuts soon and will be following this thread with interest.

i have searched for gear discs and the only in stock parts I found initially were at Aircraft Spruce.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/lord-m20-mooney.php?clickkey=5942

I will continue the search and advise what I find.

regards,JPR

On 4/19/2022 at 2:51 PM, Sabremech said:

For the main gear, you can fill it up with fuel and / or have someone sit on the wing to compress them. Pretty easy that way. Nose takes the tool to get them compressed enough to re-install. I don’t think you can buy them directly from Lord, but doesn’t hurt to look and see if it’s an option now.

David

David

If you take the truss off the plane, you can compress the nose in an arbor press. It is so easy, it makes the tool seem silly.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

As much as I can agree that removal of the truss is easier, not having a press makes that task a no go. However, I have decent tig welding skills and am goin to fabricate a tool. I’m in the process of cnc’ing the parts but I have one measurement that I don’t have offhand if anyone can tell me I would appreciate it:

EC876A8E-23D7-40DA-818D-56B0E30F58D0.jpeg.724d20a9709bf6524d9545d3e72370e5.jpeg

like I said I need that measurement to make the final cut. So if anyone will be at their hangar or knows that distance, please!! And thank you

Edited by Subternal

I copied a tool from 2 pieces of angle iron a      2 1/2 or 3" iron coupler, (optional-peice of rubber to place between pipe/shock link assy) and a floor jack. I have used this tool/method multiple times. 

I am away at the moment so can not take pictures so will try to explain with a horrible diagram representation made with haste on my phone I apologize for the crude drawing

drill holes in the angle iron to fit floor jack axles and on the other end drill holes for the bolts that will attach to the gear truss.

remove wheels from floor jack 

Wheel removed from gear truss attach the angle irons using the old hardware then attach other end of angle iron to jack axles.   Place coupler/piece of pipe against the base plate( shock link assy) and begin jacking to compress  (careful of zerk fitting while jacking)

Notes

Bolts on main and nose are different sizes. 

Block of wood or 2 under jack on the handle side just to keep it from hanging and for the leverage 

Piece of rubber or gasket to keep metal off metal between pipe and aircraft partScreenshot_20220516-205005_Gallery.thumb.jpg.afc803d3e97411a168add900c435e3e2.jpg

Screenshot_20220516-205930_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20220516-210023_Gallery.jpg