Rosen visors discontinued for redesign?

khedrei

I decided to finally get a pair of these.

Aicraft Spruce no longer lists them on the website for Mooney.  There are a couple places in the US that show they have in stock on the website (knots4u)

However, they are listed in the Spruce catalog and when I was at the store in Brantford she looked up the part number. She said "the system says discontinued, in for redesign, certification could take months". 

Does anyone know anything about this? I haven't read about any issues with these ever! Everyone loves them. Curious if anyone knows anything about this before I call Rosen. 

Interesting. I thought everyone loved them.   The stock ones are too small and can’t be fixed in place other than out front. The Rosen didn’t look that much bigger in the picture.

I suppose the plexiglass can be run though a band saw to shave an inch or so off a couple sides then sanded and polished up to match?

Waiting to hear back from Don before I call Rosen

Edited by khedrei

11 minutes ago, khedrei said:

Interesting. I thought everyone loved them.   The stock ones are too small and can’t be fixed in place other than out front. The Rosen didn’t look that much bigger in the picture.

I suppose the plexiglass can be run though a band saw to shave an inch or so off a couple sides then sanded and polished up to match?

I like them, but they are a bit big to maneuver around in the cockpit of the Mooney.  They are definitely an improvement over the stock visors.

It would also be a better product if Rosen would round off the corners of the bracket where the arm attaches to the visor.  It has a tendency to cut into the headliner leather covering. I keep meaning to grind mine down.... but me, the dremel, and the plane never seem to be in the same place and time together.

Don's are probably better-suited to our cockpits.

-dan

Edited by exM20K

I had a pair of don’s in one of my planes.  Once I acclimated to them, I like them a lot.

However, I still prefer just carrying several precut pieces of static cling tint. It never gets in the way, is easy to move, and stows very quickly and easily. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Schllc said:

However, I still prefer just carrying several precut pieces of static cling tint. It never gets in the way, is easy to move, and stows very quickly and easily. 

Heresy! Get out the torches and pitchforks. :D

Incidentally, I plan on having a few sets available at Mooneymax in June. If anyone wants a set of "owner produced" visors to pick up there, you need to send me the specs you wish me to use in turning them out.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hank said:

I've never understood why Rosen has an STC for a plexiglass sunvisor anyway . . . .

Several things are done that way, I had a clock in my Maule that was STC’d. I had always assumed it was done that way to justify to people why their product was so expensive or maybe to give people the impression it was of higher quality as it was “FAA approved”, but I can’t see how anyone could make a clock or sun visor a “Major”

I’m surprised the FAA would issue an STC as they are always too busy for most other things like field approvals etc.

18 hours ago, khedrei said:

I learned when we had to cut our helmet visor to fit the HDU that a Dremel with a cloth wheel and plastic polish does an excellent job of polishing the cut edges of polycarbonate, easy and fast.

Cutting plastics can be extra challenging… they have a tendency to melt while cutting…. Cooling while cutting can help…

Finishing the cut edge… also has some challenges… grinding, sanding, polishing…. While avoiding melting…

Fortunately, the acrylic window people have materials and guidance to make a project feasible….

Same for the polycarbonate headlamps people…

With the visors… you will see any imperfections you create…try to avoid as many as you can… :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-