Flight Enhancements Electric Step mod

Hi Vintage fans, 

I just removed my vacuum pump, in prep for the Garmin auto pilot.  I installed the Flight Enhancements electric step in place of the vacuum driven servo to raise and lower my step.  The Kit and instructions were very good and complete.  I only had to buy about 10 feet of wire, a switch and a fuse holder for the required 1 amp fuse.  The install went well, slightly more than the estimated 5 hours.  I used the air line as conduit to run the wire from the servo to a separate switch on my panel.  I wanted the step to be operated after start and when taxiing in, not on the beacon or master switch, which is an option.  The hardest part was removing the bracket the Brittain servo mounted to with a cut off wheel.  (Very careful to not grind into anything other than the bracket).  Here are a few picture to any one interested.

FE5B2D97-AA2C-4A07-8FB1-A24D60842247.jpeg

2057A015-C065-4EBD-8670-96402B747EA7.jpeg

36728714-04F8-460C-BF0E-696263457F65.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Keith20EH said:

Hi Vintage fans, 

I just removed my vacuum pump, in prep for the Garmin auto pilot.  I installed the Flight Enhancements electric step in place of the vacuum driven servo to raise and lower my step.  The Kit and instructions were very good and complete.  I only had to buy about 10 feet of wire, a switch and a fuse holder for the required 1 amp fuse.  The install went well, slightly more than the estimated 5 hours.  I used the air line as conduit to run the wire from the servo to a separate switch on my panel.  I wanted the step to be operated after start and when taxiing in, not on the beacon or master switch, which is an option.  The hardest part was removing the bracket the Brittain servo mounted to with a cut off wheel.  (Very careful to not grind into anything other than the bracket).  Here are a few picture to any one interested.

FE5B2D97-AA2C-4A07-8FB1-A24D60842247.jpeg

2057A015-C065-4EBD-8670-96402B747EA7.jpeg

36728714-04F8-460C-BF0E-696263457F65.jpeg

Nice job!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for an AP experienced (even once) with the vacuum, step removal, and the electric step installation somewhere in New England or the Northeast.  Any references? 

This is a great (and timely) pirep!   

The avionics shop that installed our GFC500 and GI275s completed the step wiring from the beacon switch to the tail and removed the vacuum AI from the panel, but the vacuum removal and step installation still need to be completed.  ...so there'll be one more step servo on a hangar museum shelf soon.