Sealing the hangar door

I have a simple T hangar that’s in an area of the airport where when planes make their turns my hangar gets blasted with prop wash. The hangar has two rolling doors that meet in the middle with about a 1/2” gap. The prop wash and natural winds still manage blow quite a bit of dust into my hangar and being that the 1/2” gap is in the middle, my cowling and windows tend to get most of the dust. 

I want to put some weather stripping to seal the gap and wanted to hear some advice on what technique or products works best to adhere the weather stripping to the painted metal hangar doors. Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

works best to adhere the weather stripping to the painted metal hangar doors

Not sure about "works best", but I would be inclined to just glue some cheap, lightweight (easy to compress foam) on one side.  The foam would need to be easy to compress so you don't have to fight the doors to get them to come together closely enough to get the latching mechanism engaged.  You will probably have to replace this every year, but it's practically free and may be pretty effective.  My next door hangar neighbor glued some foam strips to the top of the bottom half of his bi-fold door.  When the door closes, it's almost air-tight.

Sounds like a giant cowling seal challenge…

1) imperfect sheet metal….

2) rubber seal… kind of A flap on one edge, or the other, or both….

3) many sheet metal screws…

The good news… the rubber doesn’t have to be expensive high temp stuff…

Sounds like fun!

PP thoughts only, not a seal guru like GB….

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I have the same issue. Thinking about brush seal. Not the most inexpensive solution, but likely worth it if it works.

https://www.northshorecommercialdoor.com/gadobrse.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw9e6SBhB2EiwA5myr9myO-fJ4I8hebgTjORNdgCNGJ_weZl-ATVY-u2F-DQ1x4mMAKZth2RoCPeMQAvD_BwE

I actually have the brush seal on the bottom part of the door that drags on the ground. It probably needs to be replaced but looks like more work than I’m interested in doing.

37 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

I actually have the brush seal on the bottom part of the door that drags on the ground. It probably needs to be replaced but looks like more work than I’m interested in doing.

They don’t last forever, especially if the distance from door to ground varies. My hangar has four sliding doors and the difference in gap between  closed vs open is a half inch. This means getting the height correct for closed will really deform the bristles when open.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

look up mass loaded vinyl sound proofing.  I used a reinforced MLV around my hangar door and works pretty well.  You can get  10 to 15 foot lengths that is 3' to 4' wide for around $150+/-  Cut a long strip and screw it to the front and back of the door and let it puff out about 1" and this should seal the door pretty well even better if you put on on each door.

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2022 at 9:58 AM, Shadrach said:

I have the same issue. Thinking about brush seal. Not the most inexpensive solution, but likely worth it if it works.

https://www.northshorecommercialdoor.com/gadobrse.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw9e6SBhB2EiwA5myr9myO-fJ4I8hebgTjORNdgCNGJ_weZl-ATVY-u2F-DQ1x4mMAKZth2RoCPeMQAvD_BwE

I helped someone install one of these recently. I really liked the seal. Recommendation, keep the brush part as short as possible. I have seen others installed that were 2 inches plus long and they didn’t do nearly as well as the shorter ones.