Driving my Mooney down a road after a grass landing: Beaumont Hotel, KS (07S)

dylanac

Always wanted to visit here ever since I saw Just Plane Silly's video on it. Finally got the chance on my way down to Vance AFB where I am awaiting UPT. Mooney is currently in annual and I cannot wait to go make some more adventures like this one. If anyone has some other cool spot I could check out around Enid, OK let me know!

Excuse the trash thumbnail, I'm an aspiring douchy millennial YouTuber.

• Like 9

Always wanted to visit here ever since I saw Just Plane Silly's video on it. Finally got the chance on my way down to Vance AFB where I am awaiting UPT. Mooney is currently in annual and I cannot wait to go make some more adventures like this one. If anyone has some other cool spot I could check out around Enid, OK let me know!
Excuse the trash thumbnail, I'm an aspiring douchy millennial YouTuber.

Really nice. Grass strips are tricky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Really nice. Grass strips are tricky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Videos of Mooneys on grass make me cringe, like taking a Ferrari off-roading…I avoid paved runways in poor condition, not going grass unless it’s to golf course standards of smooth.

OP comments he left tracks when he turned around….be a nice surprise for the next plane.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 1:03 PM, ArtVandelay said:

Videos of Mooneys on grass make me cringe, like taking a Ferrari off-roading…I avoid paved runways in poor condition, not going grass unless it’s to golf course standards of smooth.

OP comments he left tracks when he turned around….be a nice surprise for the next plane.

Appreciate the feedback. The older Moonies are not like a M20J, you've got much lower gear doors than I do. The main concern I've heard about grass strips is the bumps wearing on the tank sealant more, but my tanks already leak so that's getting fixed soon. Might as well have some fun before they get fixed. That's an added expense to living in Iowa with an abundance of grass strips as far as I'm concerned. That tracks left more or less just ripped the grass, it wasn't sloppy enough to leave anything deep in the ground. Looking back at the footage and seeing it from the video, I'm more convinced the sliding was from weather-vaning more than anything. Rain the prior day had not left much time for it to soak in, just loosen up the grass.

On 4/18/2022 at 8:26 PM, Yetti said:

Hold the nose off a bit more.   Taxi with yoke in lap

Will do! Some things I forget from tailwheel training when I get in my Mooney.

On 4/17/2022 at 5:19 AM, NotarPilot said:

Great video. Looks like a lot of fun. Looks like you taxied up a gravel road after landing. No issues with small rocks getting sucked into your prop?

Nope, the road was well compacted and a mix of gravel/crushed pavement. That's always a risk with grass strips/unimproved runways, they're hard on everything. I try to avoid them if possible but every now and then doesn't bother me. I'm not a bush pilot but I'm also not afraid to get a little dirty sometimes. Passing a neat airport town like this was certainly not something I was going to do. I bought this plane to have adventures with, after all!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...