The dreaded hot #5….

Schllc

So this being the seventh long body Mooney that I have owned, I am well aware of the hot #5 challenge. All but one of my planes has had this, 730ml temps were the best. When I got that one the temps were so low and even I was convinced for hours something was wrong with it!

a few of the others had a hot #5, and one of the ovations mysteriously received the pixie hole,

The temp differential on that one wasn’t real bad and I don’t know if the hole made any difference to be honest. 
my current ride appears to be the worst one of the bunch. I really struggle to keep #5 under 400 but it isn’t possible to keep under 380 as I prefer unless I climb at less than 400fpm. 
it remains the hot cylinder in all phases of flight regardless of power, prop or mixture settings. 
it does not exceed 375 in level flight but even low power settings display a temp much hotter than I am accustomed to and would prefer. 
the plane is very new, 170 hours only and all baffling and cowling is tight and tidy. 
not sure where to start to see if I can fix this. 
Any suggestions , other than the pixie hole?

having owned several other acclaims without this modification, and without the temperature issue so I know it’s achievable without modifying the aluminum baffle. 

4 minutes ago, Schllc said:

So this being the seventh long body Mooney that I have owned, I am well aware of the hot #5 challenge. All but one of my planes has had this, 730ml temps were the best. When I got that one the temps were so low and even I was convinced for hours something was wrong with it!

a few of the others had a hot #5, and one of the ovations mysteriously received the pixie hole,

The temp differential on that one wasn’t real bad and I don’t know if the hole made any difference to be honest. 
my current ride appears to be the worst one of the bunch. I really struggle to keep #5 under 400 but it isn’t possible to keep under 380 as I prefer unless I climb at less than 400fpm. 
it remains the hot cylinder in all phases of flight regardless of power, prop or mixture settings. 
it does not exceed 375 in level flight but even low power settings.  
the plane is very new, 170 hours only and all baffling and cowling is tight and tidy. 
not sure where to start to see if I can fix this. 
Any suggestions , other than the pixie hole?

having owned several other acclaims without this modification, and without the temperature issue so I know it’s achievable without modifying the aluminum baffle. 

The world’s foremost Ovation/Acclaim guru is Brian Kendrick. I’ll PM you his number  - call and ask him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kortopates said:

is it getting enough fuel on takeoff at WOT max FF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some notes at home regarding these numbers but Im pretty sure it’s right in the sweet spot, 32.8gpm at wot. 

4 hours ago, Schllc said:

I have some notes at home regarding these numbers but Im pretty sure it’s right in the sweet spot, 32.8gpm at wot. 

32.8gph will keep the flame on…. Gpm might flood things a bit…. :) 28-32 has been reported around here… for the 310hp STC… (check your notes)

ROP, that has to be good fuel flow for keeping CHTs in line… (internal cooling)

How is the Gami spread…?  in case that cylinder isn’t seeing the same FF as the others…

Got any engine monitor data that you can share?  (Use savvy)

Pics of baffles, and sheet metal, and anything airflow related…

Some engines have reported some sheet metal installed upside down… between cylinders(?)

Could be time for the TBM upgrade…   :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic… or comedian…

Best regards,

-a-