Turbo Gasket

slowflyin

I pulled the turbo off my TIO540-AF1B for a rebuild and there was a copper gasket between the turbo and the transition.  When I received the turbo back from OH there wasn't a gasket.  I checked the Lycoming Parts Manual and it doesn't show one.    Any advice????

image.png.c5e4eb8db683545ca134e9972c19f9e0.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, slowflyin said:

I pulled the turbo off my TIO540-AF1B for a rebuild and there was a copper gasket between the turbo and the transition.  When I received the turbo back from OH there wasn't a gasket.  I checked the Lycoming Parts Manual and it doesn't show one.    Any advice????

image.png.c5e4eb8db683545ca134e9972c19f9e0.png

When I replaced my turbo transition I believe Knisely welding sold me the gaskets.  You may want to give them a call.

Quick update- Called Lycoming Tech Support and they reference the parts manual and their assembly manual.   No gasket required.  I pushed back indicating mine had a gasket as well as some others and they replied, "when we assemble the TIO540AFB we do not use a gasket".   

Post a pic of both surfaces…

There must be a good reason for the No gasket required…

usually, it is difficult to get two thin flat surfaces to seal when only held at four corner positions…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

What is a transition?

Maybe call the overhauler?

The transition… is the collector that brings all three exhaust pipes to the turbo…

It is where the environment is the harshest… three flame fronts come through every two rotations of the prop…

Compared to the individual exhaust pipes leaving each cylinder…

Prior to the TC, the pressure drop is minimal… so there isn’t the benefit of gas expansion type cooling that NA engines enjoy…

Note the V-band clamps used holding things together in this area…. The V-bands aren’t using a gasket either…

PP, not A&P…

-a-

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Post a pic of both surfaces…

There must be a good reason for the No gasket required…

usually, it is difficult to get two thin flat surfaces to seal when only held at four corner positions…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

My SWAG would be differential expansion rates of the two metals

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I would have called it a manifold, but I guess the parts manual calls it a transition. Wasn’t trying to be rude, but wondered why he sent the gasket in with the turbo to overhaul.

I didn't send the gasket in but many times an overhauled component will come back with the required gasket(s).  The particular unit was sent for OH by the engine OH shop.  When I received the engine back, along with the turbo they had sent out for OH, it came with a very nice kit containing everything we needed to reassemble any items that were removed for shipping.  No turbo gasket was included.