Mooney accident Central Jersey, April 4, 2022…

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/small-airplane-crashes-in-central-nj

Briefly…

News helicopter video shows evidence of the plane experienced a short landing on the street…. A mile away from the nearby airport…

Passenger door opened normally

appears the oil has exited the engine with cowling parts probably separated during the rodeo ride….

no fire involved

no houses involved

no cars involved

no dreaded sheets covering anything…

No details about the pilot yet…

Best regards,

-a-

Alerting… @201er and @mike_elliott

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• carusoam changed the title to Mooney accident Central Jersey, April 4, 2022…

Relatively good news, injury not fatal:

MANVILLE, New Jersey (WABC) -- One person was injured when a small plane crashed in a New Jersey neighborhood early Monday afternoon.

The 2006 single engine Mooney M20M originated out of Piedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro, North Carolina.

One person on board was taken to the hospital with facial injuries.

https://abc7ny.com/manville-plane-crash-new-jersey-single-engine-mooney-m20m/11708821/

• Thanks 1

The mystery gets bigger…

Final resting place of the plane is called Millstone River Road…

It’s the big street at the opposite end of the field…  it would have been the cross wind leg of the traffic pattern…

E-Landed pretty well, but the road curved out from under him… where the front yard then appeared…

The road is probably 20’ lower than the end of the runway… The Millstone River is just behind the houses on the other side of the road…

Pilot did a good job with what he had… :)

Did the plane land on 07?

Overfly the field?

Have a failed touch and go?

Engine out?

PP guesses only…

Best regards,

-a-

They showed more shots from the air on the Today show this morning from different angles. He did an amazing job of flying it all the way to the crash. The Mooney did its job of protecting him. Hard to believe there was no fire. N41XL probably won't fly again, but hopefully he will. 

• Like 1

What a shame - glad pilot survived and appears likely to be ok and no one else hurt.  I've flown into 47N many times uneventfully - nice 'lil restaurant next door and cheapest fuel in my area.  It's a standard ~3000x50ft rwy without much obstruction at the approach end of 07. There's some stuff at the departure end but not too menacing if I recall.  I wonder if there's more to this event than simply being too fast and making a late go around.  I also wouldn't consider it beyond my ability to botch it in this scenario with similar consequences.

1 hour ago, nosky2high said:

Looks like we can expect our insurance costs to continue to go up. Glad he’s okay. Stop bending metal folks. 

So helpful. So eloquent. I bet the next Mooney pilot in that tough situation will recall your words and decide on an outcome that causes no damage, just to keep your rates down.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

Looks like we can expect our insurance costs to continue to go up. Glad he’s okay. Stop bending metal folks. 

Good grief. Imagine yourself as the pilot or a loved one reading a comment like this after a successful or not forced landing. 
-dan

• Like 6

14 hours ago, PeteMc said:

that has some quirky AI video associated with it…

Probably based on the ADSB out data…

Gives a good insight to one of the dangers of straight in landings…

The altimeter image is working…

But the ASI image show nothing, not even GPS speed…

1980’s data above shows GPS speeds above 100kts on short final…

With that kind of ground speed… expect most of the runway to go by before touch down is possible….

I didn’t see the speed brakes in the pics… if deployed, or if retracted…

Best regards,

-a-

Without casting any “probable cause” here, we all need to take pause and think about our individual pilot skills to go around.  The sad truth is that go arounds can be more dangerous than a poor landing.

early in my training, to build hours I would travel to many airports and do a touch and go, to accumulate cross country hours.  On one of the shorter fields, I touch down a little late, and as I started to climb out I didn’t have hardly any power and if there had been an obstacle, an accident would have occurred….what went wrong…very simply, I had been cruising at 2200 rpm, and I failed to push the prop in to full.

we all need to know the runway length, know the markings and have a go around point, and be disciplined with our check list to ensure we can pilot a successful go around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, larrynimmo said:

Without casting any “probable cause” here, we all need to take pause and think about our individual pilot skills to go around.  The sad truth is that go arounds can be more dangerous than a poor landing.

early in my training, to build hours I would travel to many airports and do a touch and go, to accumulate cross country hours.  On one of the shorter fields, I touch down a little late, and as I started to climb out I didn’t have hardly any power and if there had been an obstacle, an accident would have occurred….what went wrong…very simply, I had been cruising at 2200 rpm, and I failed to push the prop in to full.

we all need to know the runway length, know the markings and have a go around point, and be disciplined with our check list to ensure we can pilot a successful go around.

Agree 100%

I have struggled with speed control and certainly know that if i am coming in 85+ over the threshold on my home base 3000' rwy then I simply need to go around.  I have tried to make some landings work and just bounced a few times and felt like there was no way I was going to slow down.   With about 1000' left i started to settle to the runway.  Then i took a good look at the departure end of the runway and saw orange balls on the  powerlines, the tractor trailer in the street straight ahead and the Kubota power equipment sign... ugh...

Then the go around.  Full power, nose down, and pray i can get above those obstructions... i did, but that left wing seemed to struggle for lift momentarily.  I wouldnt be surprised if this is a similar story, only I was fortunate enough to clear the obstacles...

I have read all of the MS posts about speed control and it is no doubt a real thing.  I am going to use this unfortunate event as a reason to practice some speed control for straight in approaches.  And more reason to have a better understanding of my planes power settings and configurations and performance.

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

GPS speeds above 100kts on short final…

I've been into Central Jersey (47N) a few times for their inexpensive fuel.  It isn't tiny, but at 3507 x 50 ft. it's not a runway you want to be @ 100 kts on short final. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1980Mooney said:

And after a pilot has properly briefed for runway length, markings and weather, I hope everyone knows what the solution is and the best way to prepare for situations like this.  PRACTICE TOUCH AND GOES.  And stop the insane debate here that it is unsafe to practice touch and goes in a Mooney..  If you don't practice touch and goes then you will be surprised and may feel rushed at the very moment you need to execute the maneuver - hesitation at that moment when you need to act can be deadly especially if there are obstructions.

I've zero opinion against safety of touch and goes in a Mooney for folks who have gotten practiced and comfortable with it, though I have not.  However, I do think most of the go-around training value is offered by a practicing from a low approach rather than after touching down - the latter simulates a very late go around scenario, and the primary training focus should be on using an early go around to avoid that situation (there are of course rare situations where it may be unavoidable). 

I whole heartedly agree that go around practice is important.  One of the things I like about doing an IPC every six months is that it automatically gives me that practice three times as part of flying the missed approach. I'd probably never get around to it otherwise.  In real world flying, I've gone around/missed probably only a half a dozen times, and most have been under stressful circumstances, making it easy to forget something.  Once I forgot to pull up the gear for several minutes and was puzzled as to why the plane was performing so poorly on the missed approach - the only time I made that mistake, which was clearly stress induced. I was stunned by my lapse.  

• Like 1