Dukes Gear Actuator - Gear Replacement

I was just informed the gear actuator in my M20C is out of spec and need to have the gears replaced. I'm told for $2700, they will send the actuator to Lake Aero where the gears will be replaced with 40:1 steel and brass and return it in 2-3 weeks. The cost seems ridiculous. Is there a better option?

I was looking through some older threads and the price seems to be at best <1k, worst <2k for those gears. Today's is market is crazytown for everything so it's tough to gauge a fair price. From what I've read here and elsewhere, Lasar seems to be a reputable shop.

3 minutes ago, Ron McBride said:

Is this the first time that the gears have been replaced in 50 years?   When I did mine in my “F”, this was a great improvement.  

Not sure. The plane is new to me and I haven't even got it home yet to dig into the paperwork. I suspect it's the first set of gears. It's in for annual right now the 200hr AD on the actuator is (or soon) due. I believe he said the backlash is out of spec.

58 minutes ago, tcal780 said:

Not sure. The plane is new to me and I haven't even got it home yet to dig into the paperwork. I suspect it's the first set of gears. It's in for annual right now the 200hr AD on the actuator is (or soon) due. I believe he said the backlash is out of spec.

I had my actuator gears changed in 2015.  It was ~$1500, so price is probably in the ballpark.  If you actually have Lasar say that they have a set of the gears, I’d go for it asap.  Without the gears, and there’s no perfect source that I’m aware of, your airplane could end up grounded.

19 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Will Laser sell the gears? They are not hard to change. Just make sure you shim the ring so it is centered on the pinion.

That would be a better option. I just checked with the shop. Even if the gears alone are available he doesn't want to do or feel comfortable doing that repair, so I'm stuck with the current plan.

Hi, as I recall last summer LASAR warned me when mine was sent in for inspection, if needed, the new gears and labor would be ~1800.  Maybe check with them on parts/ overhaul options. I had an earlier thread on this with the details. Good luck.

13 hours ago, 67 m20F chump said:

You are hitting on why I bought my plane.  Manual gear and flaps.  It’s why I didn’t buy another Beechcraft.  I think you will have to pay the price and take your lumps on this one unless you can find a used serviceable one.  

Except the flap seal kits are not available.  Trading 1 for the other. 

My local mechanic removed the actuator and the motor from my plane. We sent it to Lasar in California.  I paid them 2018 about 1200 $ for the overhaul of the motor and the install of the conversion kit. I delivered the kit as I bought the kit already 2013 from Don Maxwell for 1200 Dollar. That was about 2400 Dollar total for the kit, the install and the motor overhaul plus the removal and reinstall work of my local A+P.

2700 Dollar may be right if it includes the motor overhaul and the gear upgrade kit. Make sure that you also get the motor overhauled. 

And I think it is a good idea that you do not let your local A+P install the conversion kit into the actuator. This is best done by somebody who did it before: Lasar, Don Maxwell or other experienced Mooney shops.

After doing that, the actuator and motor should be running fine for the next 50 years or so. This shall be only a one time investment.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2022 at 3:58 AM, tcal780 said:

I was just informed the gear actuator in my M20C is out of spec and need to have the gears replaced. I'm told for $2700, they will send the actuator to Lake Aero where the gears will be replaced with 40:1 steel and brass and return it in 2-3 weeks. The cost seems ridiculous. Is there a better option?

I hated the idea of doing it as well but so glad I did. Gear is now smooth and not abrupt. Was just shy of the $2700, mostly the cost of the gear set, $1850, from Mooney if I recall correctly. The Jack screw is a very easy in and out especially if you can leave the airplane up on jacks. Took the opportunity to re-rig the landing gear. It was way out of spec. Unfortunately, the new gears only get us out of the AD for the first 500 hours. I’ve been told by several AP/IA’s that the AD should be rewritten to allow for P.C.W. for those who have installed the new gear set, but will probably never happen. Have heard the gears are the same as later model Mooneys, J and up.

2 hours ago, Bob R said:

I hated the idea of doing it as well but so glad I did. Gear is now smooth and not abrupt. Was just shy of the $2700, mostly the cost of the gear set, $1850, from Mooney if I recall correctly. The Jack screw is a very easy in and out especially if you can leave the airplane up on jacks. Took the opportunity to re-rig the landing gear. It was way out of spec. Unfortunately, the new gears only get us out of the AD for the first 500 hours. I’ve been told by several AP/IA’s that the AD should be rewritten to allow for P.C.W. for those who have installed the new gear set, but will probably never happen. Have heard the gears are the same as later model Mooneys, J and up.

Thanks Bob,

I went ahead with the repair with Lasar. It took about 3 weeks including shipping to turn it around. New brushes, worm gear, and a "brake" inside the actuator was replaced (I didn't know there was one inside the unit). The shop re-rigged the gear and all is reportedly good to go. I'm excited to get the plane back this Friday.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, tcal780 said:

Thanks Bob,

I went ahead with the repair with Lasar. It took about 3 weeks including shipping to turn it around. New brushes, worm gear, and a "brake" inside the actuator was replaced (I didn't know there was one inside the unit). The shop re-rigged the gear and all is reportedly good to go. I'm excited to get the plane back this Friday.

Who was your shop?