Heat

Brandt

As cold as its been in the great northland, it is probably normal. If your operating the fire breathing beast LOP, it will be exacerbated some. If your touring in the FL's, heat will also be impeded. Sure fire fix is a trip down to Tampa and Ill check it out :)

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As cold as its been in the great northland, it is probably normal. If your operating the fire breathing beast LOP, it will be exacerbated some. If your touring in the FL's, heat will also be impeded. Sure fire fix is a trip down to Tampa and Ill check it out
Mike

Well, that wouldn’t be a bad deal. But I understand the heat comes from bleed air off the turbo, so LOP shouldn’t affect that, although I could see where MP would. Assumed FLs would have impact, but it was darn chilly at 3K with an OAT of -1 C.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an ovation/ eagle and not an acclaim but in my experience, the heat in my plane works very very well. Its been -25 up high and i had to turn the heat off because it was getting too hot. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I have an ovation/ eagle and not an acclaim but in my experience, the heat in my plane works very very well. Its been -25 up high and i had to turn the heat off because it was getting too hot. 

Thanks.  I think the system is significantly different on the Acclaims, although I stand to be corrected.

5 hours ago, Brandt said:

The amount of heat available in the cabin is minimal.  Do I have a problem or is this typical? Same with defrost. 

In November I flew mine back from NJ and it was a very cool morning. I just had the heat cracked open and it was pumping out heat and I was lean of peak.

In January I was at FL190 and still plenty of heat

39 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I November I flew mine back from NJ and it was a very cool morning. I just had the heat cracked open and it was pumping out heat and I was lean of peak.

In January I was at FL190 and still plenty of heat

Thanks.  Will have to have them take a look at it.

15 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

My Door seal and baggage seal are very good. I am not noticing any leaks. That’s also something to look at and you have twice the opportunity for door leaks.

Seals are good. One cold air doesn’t seal completely, but it’s more of a nuisance that a lot of airflow.

Bleed air from the turbo?

Lets see if @M20Doc can describe the source of cabin heat for the Acclaim…?

While we wait…

Since there is no muffler… the pair of TN’s are probably the heat source…

Is one source enough? Probably not… since the Ovation uses all of the exhaust output to generate heat… the Acclaim probably has two heat muffs… (kinda complex though)

From inside the cabin…

Open the hot air valve… close the cold air valve…

anything come flowing out?

Is it hot or cold?

Does the valve do anything?

Its a really simple system…

Be on the look out for simple failures…. The control not working right, or the valve not fully opening or fully closing properly…

Or the cold air valve not closing… all the way… or its safety flow holes are too big/too many… for the mount of hot air coming into the mixing box…

PP guesses only, I have an O…

Best regards,

-a-

The turbocharged Mooney heat system isn’t great. Bleed air from before the two intercoolers and some from the exhaust cross over pipe.  Mooney made them as two separate parallel systems, in a Cirrus they run in series and take heat off the turbocharger tail pipes.

We’ve we’ve wrapped all the engine compartment duct in fibreglass to retain more heat to improve heat retention and make sure the cabin is sealed.

Clarence

• 1 month later...

Mine is flown LOP when I am not in a hurry and usually traveling a bit farther---I operate out of Carson City and typically operate 12-17k feet.  The heat doesn't blow as hot as the old janitrol heater in my Seneca III, but it does push out warmer (not hot air) at these altitudes.

• 4 weeks later...