Check Gear warning

BravoWhiskey

A new issue has presented itself… when I retract gear after takeoff my “check gear” warning goes off and the gear stays down until I press the override button.  All other operations are fine.  They retract smoothly and extend smoothly.  I’m hoping this is a simple fix.  Anyone else experienced this?  Farmingdale manual says it should warn when gear is retracted and throttle is 1/4” from idle… I’m the opposite. Full throttle and gear extended but trying to retract.

2 hours ago, BravoWhiskey said:

A new issue has presented itself… when I retract gear after takeoff my “check gear” warning goes off and the gear stays down until I press the override button.  All other operations are fine.  They retract smoothly and extend smoothly.  I’m hoping this is a simple fix.  Anyone else experienced this?  Farmingdale manual says it should warn when gear is retracted and throttle is 1/4” from idle… I’m the opposite. Full throttle and gear extended but trying to retract.

Do not ignore this. Get it to an experienced Mooney mechanic asap. I got that warning on an Ovation that I had and shortly thereafter when it was being towed into the shop, the nose gear collapsed. The prop never touched the ground, so no prop damage or engine teardown since the gear door hit the ground first.

Ditto.  The key words above are "Experienced Mooney mechanic"...not just a regular shop that claims to have worked on Mooneys.

Do not ignore this advice if you want to avoid potentially tens of thousands of dollars in repairs to your airplane...plus the downtime.

Agreed.  Waiting on the MSC to get me in.  I was just curious about it being a failure to retract instead of extend… 2 shops told me it’s a possible throttle position sensor issue.  But believe me It certainly gets the heart racing when you hear that nice lady in the headset saying check gear.

Edited by BravoWhiskey
  • Like 1

there are two separate gear protection circuits here. you are describing a failure in the airspeed safety switch circuit to prevent gear retraction below flying speed since the gear safety bypass switch enabled you to retract the gear.
no relation to the low manifold switch to alert you the gear is still up before landing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

there are two separate gear protection circuits here. you are describing a failure in the airspeed safety switch circuit to prevent gear retraction below flying speed since the gear safety bypass switch enabled you to retract the gear.
no relation to the low manifold switch to alert you the gear is still up before landing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha.  That sounds better than having things backwards… Taking her Wednesday to get this addressed.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, BravoWhiskey said:

We’ll, somehow the airspeed safety switch crept to about 100kts… I find it fascinating that it traveled from the standard 65kts setting.

Since its just a rubber hose off the IAS to the safety switch, all it takes is a leaky hose to the air speed switch to require more pitot pressure i.e. more airspeed, to get the switch to close. So not really not unexpected depending on actual specific issue with it.

• Like 1

Interesting….

Check the hose for quality…

There are a few connections in the Pitot / static system that use a polyurethane hose….

Failure of the hose can occur in the lifetime of Mooney ownership…

Often PU hoses are used to connect the AP to the static system… a leaky hose here causes challenges with altitude hold…

Sounds like a likely failure for the airspeed safety switch as well…

Which, in turn, may give a funky error in the ASI….

PItot/static tests would probably find an error this way…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-